Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After using J-B Weld for several repairs around the house recently, I decided that it would be a valuable addition to a Survival Kit. In a TEOTWAWKI situation, or even in a serious wide spread catastrophe, repairing tools and other necessary items ould be the only option. J-B Weld is extremely strong (3960 PSI) and can make many items as strong as, or stronger than new. Also, a very little goes a long ways, making it economical to carry the small tubes. Super glue may be handy for some uses, but does not compare to J-B Weld for repairs that require strength and reliability.

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
I keep several packs in my garage... be sure to get the high temp one instead in case you need to do a patch on an engine, patch a hole in your exhaust or work on a bbq pit.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
By using the term "kit", the implication here (in my mind,at least) is something on the smaller side like a GHB/BOB. If that's the case, then we get into this tendency here to pack everything imaginable, to the point of absurdity. We see this here all the time. If that's the question, then NO, you don't need J-B-weld...or 100 feet of rope.....or a 4-ft crowbar.....or a thousand rounds of ammo.....or a spare car battery, etc. etc.
But if you're talking about the stuff you keep on-hand at home, then yeah, I'd say J-B-Weld is definitely a worthy prep. ;) :thumb:

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By using the term "kit", the implication here (in my mind,at least) is something on the smaller side like a GHB/BOB.
In this case, I am referring to the extensive Survival Gear I keep in my pickup. There is far more in that Kit than can be carried by even a strong man. The J-B Weld will be in my full sized Survival backpack which is part of that Kit. That is about 65lbs, as much as I can carry these days. However, I also have a three-wheeled jogging stroller and a two-wheeled bicycle trailer, converted to carry everything on foot as an absolute last resort.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
What happens to them after 2-3 years? Thanks.
The so called 2 part becomes hard. Not sure if there is an actual time frame involved, but I check my kit every year and make sure the tubes are stil pliable, just to be sure.

JB weld, gorilla glue, bailing wire, duct tape, electrical tape are just a few items that are in my kit shoved under the back sit of my truck, Right next to the kit with survival bars and water.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
Don't care for duct tape. In the heat it gets gummy and messy.
JB Weld or a tube of epoxy putty is an essential tho. There is also an epoxy tape product out there that I've used a couple of times. Forget the brand name (home depot has it) but you soak it water then wrap whatever in it. Let it dry and it's hard as rock, waterproof and sandable. Use the rubber gloves that come in the package tho or you will get burned.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have glued iron sights on several guns with JB weld. Never had a failure including the front sight on a 45-70 that's been on for 30 years.
:D::D:And I thought I was the only one that did that!:rolleyes:
I salvaged a TC .54 muzzleloader barrel temporarily by cutting 6" off it and glueing the sight back on, been like that for at least 20 years! Some day.....

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Another excellent Red Green fixit material is polyurathane glue. It will bond lots of materials, and it doesn't let loose. I have stuck 2x4s together and later decided I wanted them apart. The glue line was stronger than the wood, I had to hack the top piece off. Gorilla glue, or Locktite, PL 3X are examples.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,545 Posts
Consider JB Qwik for an emergency kit instead of JB Weld. Almost as strong, sets up much quicker, repaired items can be used in a few hours instead of the next day.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
What happens to them after 2-3 years? Thanks.
We sell epoxy,consruction adhevsives,caulking,sealants,etc...at work.They all have a date on them,and yes,they harden even sealed up.We have had to return cases that were deliverd close to or past the date.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts