Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, save all the snarky commentary as it is unproductive and unhelpful.

I have several plate carriers, and a big mix of various ceramic and steel plates, the latter do not have anti-spall coatings. I'm wanting to improve them and looking for suggestions.

I've watched some videos showing bedliner spray, flex-seal, etc. and these seem to perform okay, but not perfectly. They - along with factory anti-spall - seam to separate after a few shots. I'm thinking this can be mitigated with a fibrous wrap, or chicken wire wrap, etc., to hold it together better to prevent it separating from the plate. I got the idea from watching concrete being laid, using lots of steel wire mesh to give the concrete strength against separating/breaking.

I'm thinking, for instance, a chicken wire wrap around the plate, and multiple bed liner coats...

Any suggestions or insights or improvements?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Coatings definitely help but none of them are going to stay on for more than a couple of rounds- but let's be realistic here, if you take more than two or three rounds in an area the size of a plate chances are good you're also going to get hit somewhere not covered by the plate and you're probably in a situation that's not going to have a happy ending.

You can have a spall coating added (recommended if you're going to use any steel plates) or try something like one of the covers, ex. (zero experience with them, just one example I happened to know of): Spartan Armor Systems Spall Containment Sleeve
The chicken wire idea is just adding material, in this case metal, to be torn away and add to the spall or further rip up whatever coating you've added, plus weight.

Personally, unless you have some use in mind for the steel plates such as handouts or can't afford to outfit everyone in your family (and there's no shame in that, especially in today's economic climate) I'd sell what you can and buy better plates. Wearing armor sucks no matter how good it is, steel sucks even more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I did like 10 sheets of dyneema, and fiberglass resin between each.
Dyneema is an awesome material. I have some by Ripstop By the Roll and although it’s tricky to sew, I’m interested in how you worked it with resin. Very clever idea considering Dyneema is akin to Kevlar only lighter and stronger if I recall correctly. Thanks for any details.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,380 Posts
I saw one idea for a DIY anti spall coating where the person used Goop adhesive to glue a layer of closed cell foam camping matt to the front side of a ballistic plate with the idea that bullet fragments would have to tear their way out of the foam to keep going. No idea if would help but it seems like it could strip some additional energy from a fragment before it continues on. or even maybe capture the fragment that would have ended a life or taken out an eye.
Something like this foam matt: Military Roll Mat - XPE Closed Cell Foam Camping Sleeping roll mat military 5034358050948 | eBay

·
Registered
127 Posts
Coatings definitely help but none of them are going to stay on for more than a couple of rounds- but let's be realistic here, if you take more than two or three rounds in an area the size of a plate chances are good you're also going to get hit somewhere not covered by the plate and you're probably in a situation that's not going to have a happy ending.

You can have a spall coating added (recommended if you're going to use any steel plates) or try something like one of the covers, ex. (zero experience with them, just one example I happened to know of): Spartan Armor Systems Spall Containment Sleeve
The chicken wire idea is just adding material, in this case metal, to be torn away and add to the spall or further rip up whatever coating you've added, plus weight.

Personally, unless you have some use in mind for the steel plates such as handouts or can't afford to outfit everyone in your family (and there's no shame in that, especially in today's economic climate) I'd sell what you can and buy better plates. Wearing armor sucks no matter how good it is, steel sucks even more.

Good points. Getting shot really sucks even with armor. The energy transfer is still tremendous just dispersed through the plate. It will hurt like a
sumbitch. I prefer soft plates to the thick ceramic plates. I find steel more comfortable next. None of it is really comfortable of course and you undoubtedly know that already since you have several sets.
Let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
First, save all the snarky commentary as it is unproductive and unhelpful.

I have several plate carriers, and a big mix of various ceramic and steel plates, the latter do not have anti-spall coatings. I'm wanting to improve them and looking for suggestions.

I've watched some videos showing bedliner spray, flex-seal, etc. and these seem to perform okay, but not perfectly. They - along with factory anti-spall - seam to separate after a few shots. I'm thinking this can be mitigated with a fibrous wrap, or chicken wire wrap, etc., to hold it together better to prevent it separating from the plate. I got the idea from watching concrete being laid, using lots of steel wire mesh to give the concrete strength against separating/breaking.

I'm thinking, for instance, a chicken wire wrap around the plate, and multiple bed liner coats...

Any suggestions or insights or improvements?
I think chicken wire would exacerbate the spalling. I could be wrong but if it helped I believe plate manufacturers would incorporate it in themselves. No doubt they've tested their plates pretty throughly. Bed liner is common so that's likely the best option available.

Reactions: neiowa

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,847 Posts
If I had metal plates, I would cover both of them with 2 layers of Gorilla tape, get some hard plastic garden hose from an old drip system and cut it to length to fit the edges, split the sections lengthwise, tape them on, and then add another layer of Gorilla tape on top of the whole mess. To catch bullet fragments.
But I would avoid adding hard things on top of the plates that could splinter on impact and cause additional fragments to fly around and cut something up.

Oh, and incidentally, I would also let everyone know that standard velocity 9mm FMJ from a 4" barrel can only penetrate about halfway through a 2 1/2" textbook that had been all taped up tight at about 5 yards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
have you guys tried to fit all that stuff inside a plate carrier? I know on the three or so I have, just the plate by itself it a tight fit. Adding a thin layer of dyneema required grinding and sanding to fit inside carriers.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
have you guys tried to fit all that stuff inside a plate carrier? I know on the three or so I have, just the plate by itself it a tight fit. Adding a thin layer of dyneema required grinding and sanding to fit inside carriers.
How is that???? Plate pockets are designed to take ceramic composite plates.. AR500 plates are super thin. I dont personally run steel because I dont carry a sword or wear gauntlets but you certainly can fit steel with spall treatment on it

·
Registered
896 Posts
Good points. Getting shot really sucks even with armor. The energy transfer is still tremendous just dispersed through the plate. It will hurt like a
sum$itch. I prefer soft plates to the thick ceramic plates. I find steel more comfortable next. None of it is really comfortable of course and you undoubtedly know that already since you have several sets.
Let us know what you decide.
Soft plates, what are these? Are you talking about level 3a kevlar or something else? I know there's some 1,000+ soft armor that is rifle rated.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
15,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are plate covers which address this very issue. I bring a steel plate vest to work every day, in a backpack. I train with it occasionally and it gets really hot really fast.
I've looked around, cannot find these carriers. I've seen them, but cannot find where to buy them. Where are they?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Soft plates, what are these? Are you talking about level 3a kevlar or something else? I know there's some 1,000+ soft armor that is rifle rated.

Pretty sure he's talking about just putting a piece of soft armor in the pocket with the plate. Since most steel plates are thinner than ceramic, especially the older caramic stuff, depending on the soft armor and the carrier you should have room. You can get panels in various sizes and shapes so even adding one of those square or rectangular pieces designed for generic applications, backpacks, messenger bags, briefcases, etc. might work. I've never tried it so you'd be better off asking one of the companies that makes these things.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've looked around, cannot find these carriers. I've seen them, but cannot find where to buy them. Where are they?
Spartan Armor Systems Spall Containment Sleeve:

Sleeve Rectangle Font Linens Fashion accessory

Spartan Armor Systems® strives to afford their customers and operators in the field with the highest quality body armor and every advantage possible. Spartan Armor Systems® Spall Containment Sleeves provide an extra layer of protection from fragmentation (spalling) and a high degree of confidence when wearing our Base Coat or Full Coat Spartan™ Omega™ AR500 and AR550 Steel Core body armor plates. These spall containment sleeves will reduce or potentially eliminate spalling as projectiles ricochet off the AR Plate, effectively containing such fragments within layers of Aramid Fibers and the rugged 1000D Cordura Ballistic Nylon Casing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts