Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking. Ya Ya I know you could smell the fat burning!

If the power goes out? I have a way to keep the frig running. But the furnance would not work.

I picked up a wood stove. It is the same one the army uses to heat tents. With a few stacked bricks I could make it safe to rig this in the house. I am picking up a fire blanket for the floor and special fire proof board to cover the place I will remove the windows in the loving room. Cut a hole for the stove pipe to run threw. Add couple 45% angle pipes and I would not have to cut a hole in the roof. Just run the stove pipe out a window.

With this rigged up and the joints on the stove sealed. I could keep the majority of the house warm.

There is an add on that would let me run the stove on diesal but with the cost of that, Wood would be cheaper and it is not hard to get here.

Keeping the stove pipe clear and clean will be the hardest part of this. But the fact it will not be run out threw the roof makes keeping it clean easier. That and it would be used in emergencys only means I may not have to mess with it till it is needed.

Don

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
That sounds like a good idea for keepin ya nice and toasty in the winter.

I'm thinking that stove pipe might get a tad hot, might think about putting a metal plate in place of the window, just a thought.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dilli;

I had a friend back in NW MO that did this in his mobile home in the mid-80's.

He used a piece of plywood to cover the window opening and attached a sheet metal flange through the center. His wood stove was his only source of heat for several years and it worked very well.

Of course his wife painted the plywood...

Sounds like a good idea to me. :)

Prag

·
Banned
17 Posts
I had the same idea for my RV for when the power goes out. Small wood stove and some square patio blocks under it to protect the floor.

I also have two sheets of tin cut and ready. One for the window, that the chimney pipe goes through. One for a guard to put behind it to protect the wall and surrounding area.

Should work well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.