Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Just add water hot cocoa packs have a lot of sugar and often trans fat.
Yes they do<smile>. But I also make up instant cocoa "mix" so The Kid can just add water and I control what is in the mix. Just because something is yummy doesn't always have to be healthy<smile>.

liebrecht

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Zeke.....Mike....<whispering>....maybe he just had a bad cook and nobody wanted the leftovers. Ours made Southern Fried Chicken every Saturday and not much better than leftovers when we went out on the boat Sunday or for us kids if we were flying somewhere<smile>. Thanksgiving leftovers ........ahhh...when I had 2 teen boys, I had to really make big batches as there would just be a scrawny turkey carcass by midnight and dirty bowls. Stews, chili, tomato sauces....always better the second day. Plus the kids love leftover pizza for breakfast. And that pic of BBQ...oh my..looks yummy! ANNNDD back on topic....The Kid zipped up some Idahoan taters for dinner last night. Thing 2 had pasta with brown butter and romano he had leftover from lunch ( we have our " big meal" at lunchtime due to scheduling) but The Kid....instant taters. Go figure. Add Water things help the kids to grab and go without my assistance.

liebrecht

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Zeke,
The beer is the only leavening agent in the bread. But I have forgotten how much flour/brown sugar to use to 1 can/bottle of beer. And the spider/skillet was preheated when you added the batter so crispy-ish bottom. All the recipes I have found have additional leavening added which is the "problem". Oh well...I must be having an Oldtimers moment. Gonna give it a go after golf today and we will see. It was an almost Add Water recipe except it was Add Beer.

liebrecht

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I actually have most of this in the pantry. I don't use them as LTS supplies, I just incorporate them into our meals.

I experimented with the potatoes you show and they hydrate surprisingly well in room temp water. Which if you don't mind eating cold potatoes makes it super easy in a power outage/emergency.
I also rotate them through BOBs into the immediate use section of our pantries for stews all winter.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Hi....this being a Prepper site I certainly assume you present these items for survival. What is the estimated shelf life of some of these items. Ifthey need butter I bought powdered butter from Auguson Foods..
I operate on a one year cycle. If its in the car BOBs over a Spring and Summer, I tass them 9-1 amd replace them for the year out of the kitchen pantry stocks. When brand new, they spend a year in the pantry, then a year or less in the kitchen pantry. I restock the car trunk BOBs out of those kitchen pantry stocks on 9-1. The old ones in the trunk are trashed. Its a ritual.

·
reluctant sinner
16,974 Posts
In the field I like stuff that I can add camp meat or fish to, spices are important. Instant rice or potatoes along with dehydrated onions are great for sucking up excess water. Much easier to cook a runny soup and then thicken it right before taking it off the fire.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,393 Posts
Zeke.....Mike....<whispering>....maybe he just had a bad cook and nobody wanted the leftovers. Ours made Southern Fried Chicken every Saturday and not much better than leftovers when we went out on the boat Sunday or for us kids if we were flying somewhere<smile>. Thanksgiving leftovers ........ahhh...when I had 2 teen boys, I had to really make big batches as there would just be a scrawny turkey carcass by midnight and dirty bowls. Stews, chili, tomato sauces....always better the second day. Plus the kids love leftover pizza for breakfast. And that pic of BBQ...oh my..looks yummy! ANNNDD back on topic....The Kid zipped up some Idahoan taters for dinner last night. Thing 2 had pasta with brown butter and romano he had leftover from lunch ( we have our " big meal" at lunchtime due to scheduling) but The Kid....instant taters. Go figure. Add Water things help the kids to grab and go without my assistance.
You touch on an important point about starches. Once cooked and cooled they brown well in a skillet so much better the next day. Rice and potatoes are so good to brown the next day, after a night in the fridge, that I typically make more than needed for a single meal. I throw extra potatoes into bake or add extra rice to the pot for the express reason of making crispy hash browns or fried rice in later days. The leftovers are on purpose for the reason of making a different kind of meal. I can already taste the grilled turkey sandwiches with cheese and a drizzle of leftover cranberry sauce coming soon.

Zeke,
The beer is the only leavening agent in the bread. But I have forgotten how much flour/brown sugar to use to 1 can/bottle of beer.
Not sure how much rise you get just on the carbonation of a domestic canned bear. You would need to cook it fast though, because otherwise you would need home brew for a live yeast bread that self rises.

Maybe just experiment a bit with the flour and beer alone. The bread wouldn't taste very good, but you could gauge its rise and texture. Work yourself up a few different batters and doughs from the one kind of beer you want to use. Skillet cook each batch until you are getting close to the right result and then start over again with the closest recipe adding brown sugar to it. Maybe you never actually recreate what you once made, but manage to find a new recipe that works for you.

You might want to look at beer and flour recipes for pizza dough for a place to start.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,281 Posts
Man, I hafta agree on the taters and rice both. I always make extra. There are few greater time savers than fried rice. And leftover baked taters make the best fries for breakfast. To the point that I do it deliberately.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts