Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
too many conspiracies...
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's something we often neglect to have, but can really help if you've got a bad cut or scrape and are bleeding. Soda. I learned this from donating blood, where I normally get dizzy about 3/4 of the way through.

Today, I cut myself pretty badly with a bread knife and was bleeding a decent amount. I compressed it with some towels, but still started to feel dizzy, so I did exactly what they have me do on the blood mobile. I started chugging a coke (the sugar makes you feel better instantly) and coughing (to raise my blood sugar). I was feeling normal in no time...minus the bleeding hand.

Anyways, I thought I'd suggest you keep a can or two of soda near your first aid supplies, or at least handy.

p.s. raising your feet above your head helps, too.

·
Non Multa Sed Multum
45 Posts
In the age of Napoleon, sugar water ingested by drinking (a la OJ Red Cross gives) in conjunction with "coughing' is how to keep yourself moving after a gunshot wound where blood loss effects outweigh physical pain or limitatoins as a result of the wound itself.

My pack always had 2 extra cans in it...Regular Pepsi for just such a purpose and Diet Pepsi I would focus on during those 4-5 hour humps of 20 miles+ carrying 70 pounds of ruck in ***** Country.

Thanks for reminding me something I hadnt thought about for 25 years...it really works!!!

·
Banned
159 Posts
I'm surprised they give you soda in the blood mobile . Soda - pepsi , coke , etc - is a very unhealthy drink for several reasons . I have acid reflux problems and a doctor told me soda is just about the worst thing i could drink .
I'd say orange , apple or any fruit juice would be a MUCH better choice .

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Great information, thanks for the post!

Sugar Water Eh?

How does coughing help again? I don't get how it raises your blood preasure...

Maybe we everyone needs in your medical kit are these. It will certainly raise your blood pressure!

Reactions: Shadow

·
too many conspiracies...
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm surprised they give you soda in the blood mobile . Soda - pepsi , coke , etc - is a very unhealthy drink for several reasons . I have acid reflux problems and a doctor told me soda is just about the worst thing i could drink .
I'd say orange , apple or any fruit juice would be a MUCH better choice .
Fruit juice,Milk,Snickers bar,non-dairy creamer. Honey is the best and i keep it as part of my preps, and it works well as an antibiotic.:)
I think they give soda because:

• People like it
  • Chugging something is much, much faster than eating
  • Soda lasts longer than fruit juice or milk (particularly for a BOB)
  • I think soda has more sugar than juice, which is the main goal of having you drink it.

Also, I don't know if you'd be able to consume honey fast enough? What they're doing with the soda is getting as much sugar absorbed as quickly as possible. Do liquids absorb faster than solids? i.e. would a pixie stick work well?

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
In all my years of checking first aid kits at work, the lists never had soda pop or honey on them.
This was checking on building and vehicle first aid kits.
And you never see on TV where the ER/EMT says "quick drink this coke".
Doesn't the Red Cross site list a good 1st aid kit??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts