Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Useless. Play between the upper and lower has no effect on the lock-up and accuracy of the weapon. If you want to firm that up e roll duct tape and make a wedge your self. Don't get it too tight, it makes getting the pins out a bitch and make make the carrier rub on the buffer tube.

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
I know that I am gonna **** of a lot of afficianados with this reply. The accuracy in an AR type platform is directly dirived from propperly fitting the upper to the lower. END OF STORY! If there is any slop at all the barrel is moving around and thus the point of impact changes with the slop between the two recievers. I bought a brand name AR right after OBAMINATION was elected, and remember the backlogs that occured then. Well this particular company threw together ARs to try to meet demand and raise their bottom line. This particular rifle is the only rifle in 20 years that I could never get sighted in. I even recieved an email from this company stating that they were having problems with jams. They told me to send it to them and they would fix it for a nominal fee.

After countless hours of resarch online, and talking to numerous people with more experience than myself the conclusion was drawn that they rushed these guns out without taking the time and pride for the sake of the damned almighty dollar. SAD. There are gun stores in my area that are run by exmilitary individuals and the concurred with my conclusions. As a matter of fact they have one of these said ARs in their store and the doubt it will ever sell.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Only thing I can add is ,if a upper is sloppy that as the hammer strikes the bolt it drives the upper out of sight alinement putting the bullet off down range. So point of impact may very by the amount of slop. I have a tight fitting unit that gets 3/4" groups with hand loads an I believe if there is no slop your groups will be better. 1 vote for

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Only thing I can add is ,if a upper is sloppy that as the hammer strikes the bolt it drives the upper out of sight alinement putting the bullet off down range. So point of impact may very by the amount of slop. I have a tight fitting unit that gets 3/4" groups with hand loads an I believe if there is no slop your groups will be better. 1 vote for
Weeeeell, if you kneW what you were talking about it might be sound advice but since the "bolt" never actually touches the hammer i'd say your full of poopoo. The hammer actually strikes the firing pin, NOT THE BOLT. PLEASE IF YOUR GONNA OFFER UP ADVICE, KNOW WTF YOUR TALKING ABOUT, IT'S TO CONFUSING FOR FOLKS THAT ARE JUST LEARNING.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Why the debate over a $5 piece? If the person feels that their weapon performs better and they shoot better with the wedge, it's a great investment. If you do not want to spend the money on what you think is a piece of junk, great, you saved $5...

·
Noob-Lite
479 Posts
I had one but I didn't need it, so I gave it away to a co-worker. The funny thing is I assembled all of my AR's myself and the uppers and lowers fit like a glove, while the guy that I gave the wedge to bought a pre-assembled name-brand AR and he had excessive play. Go figure...

hick

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well

Weeeeell, if you kneW what you were talking about it might be sound advice but since the "bolt" never actually touches the hammer i'd say your full of poopoo. The hammer actually strikes the firing pin, NOT THE BOLT. PLEASE IF YOUR GONNA OFFER UP ADVICE, KNOW WTF YOUR TALKING ABOUT, IT'S TO CONFUSING FOR FOLKS THAT ARE JUST LEARNING.
the bolt is part of the upper as is the firing pin so if the upper is slopping around in the lower, when the hammer hits the BOLT it can cause the upper to shift an it doesn't take much movement to throw the bullet off the sighted pathway. Maybe that is why a military Ar16 can walk out the factory door with 4" /100yd spread . It can not excide that . So bud do you own one an have you ever had it apart because I know how mine works. I believe uppon striking the firing pin the hammer comes to rest on the bolt then as the bolt moves back the bolt over travels the hammer to lock it back for next round. The firing pin is free floating an nearly rests on the primer , the firing pin protrusion meaning the point that it is stopped by the bolt is only about .35 to .055 but don't hold me to that it's been awhile . So at sometime in this process that bullet is not going to hit the target dead center everytime if your gun is sloppy.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
the bolt is part of the upper as is the firing pin so if the upper is slopping around in the lower, when the hammer hits the BOLT it can cause the upper to shift an it doesn't take much movement to throw the bullet off the sighted pathway. Maybe that is why a military Ar16 can walk out the factory door with 4" /100yd spread . It can not excide that . So bud do you own one an have you ever had it apart because I know how mine works. I believe uppon striking the firing pin the hammer comes to rest on the bolt then as the bolt moves back the bolt over travels the hammer to lock it back for next round. The firing pin is free floating an nearly rests on the primer , the firing pin protrusion meaning the point that it is stopped by the bolt is only about .35 to .055 but don't hold me to that it's been awhile . So at sometime in this process that bullet is not going to hit the target dead center everytime if your gun is sloppy.
Look buddy, I'm not gonna sit here and debate with you the inner workings of a platform that I have been building and firing for the better part of 20 years. The fact is the HAMMER never touches the BOLT on the AR15 or the military M16. The HAMMER drops on the FIRING PIN. The HAMMER DOES ride on the bottom of the BOLT CARRIER while the BOLT sits nestled in the BOLT CARRIER, the BOLT really only comes in contact with the BARREL EXTENSION. Once the BOLT is locked up in the BARREL EXTENSION you drop the HAMMER on the FIRING PIN.

NOW I have tried the accuwedge and to me there is ZERO benifit to adding this part as I've witness ZERO change in performance/accuracy. If someone wants to put this part in their rifle, thats on them. I have however witnessed on more then one occation the accuwedge coming loose and getting caught up in the trigger assembly, there by interfering with the operation of the rifle but that I guess will be a learning experience for anyone that trys this useless part.

Take a look at the vids and tell me again that the HAMMER actually touches the BOLT.

·
Just Country Folk
179 Posts
Let me think about this. . . the hammer hits the firing pin pretty much dead on center. So any movement in the barrel should be pretty much dead straight forward. The bolt is locked into receiver when ready to fire so it should not move around much.

So the way I see it if your gun feels loose to you, then do what you need to make it feel the way you think it should be. If it is only $5.00 I would trying it out it could not hurt, and then I guess if you don't like the way the new part fits you could give it to a friend. Check your hit spread before and after, Whatever the outcome let us know. F.G.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
anytime something comes in contact with the bolt an the little fireing pin IS part of the bolt , when the firing pin flys forward an contacts the primer it is excerting movement on the upper . If the upper is solid the rifle is one unit no problem, but if not that barrel is going to be pushed . Now it seems you have your opinon an I have mine so everyone has heard the Bull bellowing so they can makeup thier own minds LOL. Have you ever thought of what stops the firing pin from driving right thru the primer ,because to shoulders on the pin stop it an in that stopping imparts energy to the bolt ,so even if the bolt didn't phyically contact the bolt it does thru the pin slamming to a halt , firing pin protrusion ,the amount of distance it comes out of the bolt as designed into the firing pin stop. Oh well just my two cents

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.