Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in from an acorn pick. The rain today helped me out a bunch. All I had to do is stand under my seed oaks and they were falling all around me. Picked up a pail full and called it a day. I'll start shelling them sometime this week... Flour time!

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Do they have to be boiled a couple of times to remove the tannins?
What is the flour like and can you eat the acorn whole?

·
Registered
346 Posts
MMM
sounds good to me I don't use the acorns but have been collecting hickory nuts and chestnuts. We have black Walnuts but I haven't tried to get through the hull to the nut yet , I have much advise given to me on the walnuts but haven't tried it yet.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Light skinned nut meats store longer without drying up

MMM
sounds good to me I don't use the acorns but have been collecting hickory nuts and chestnuts. We have black Walnuts but I haven't tried to get through the hull to the nut yet , I have much advise given to me on the walnuts but haven't tried it yet.
A little off topic perhaps, but useful none the less, a few more walnut wisdoms for you HOP:

Black Walnut Hints

Black walnut kernels will come out in much larger pieces if the nuts are soaked in boiling water for 40 mins before they're cracked

Rule of thumb: in Autumn crack the first few mature wild walnuts you see. Check the colour of the skin on the meats inside. If the coverings are dark, move to another foraging area; the nuts will shrivel up in storage. If, on the other hand, the skins of the meats are light coloured, then pick them up by the bushel of hulled nuts. They can last up to two years.

Regards, Herne

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I crack my acorns open and pile the meat into glass gallon jars, fill with water and let them set... When the water gets brown I change it, several times in fact... and sometimes boil the last water...

Acorn flour makes the BEST cornbread...

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,947 Posts
How do ya'll dry them before milling them into flour?

·
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most oven dry them first, I sometimes just run them through the meat grinder after sitting on a towel to air dry and oven dry the flour after afterwards...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts