Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of this company before? From what I can gather they carry a pretty extensive line of communication equipment. From basic builds to the high end encryption military stuff our guys are using in Iraq. There is a storefront here in Atlanta I plan on going to at the end of the week. Maybe they have a catalog I can get and share their web site info. The reason I asked about these guys is that I have talked to a few fellas that have been in the comm. business for quite a while. My question to them was; Could you hotwire a GMRS radio to get a true 25-mile plus range out of them? Their answer was yes. Now that got my attention. Supposedly, one of the guys has a radio he built and is 50 watts and gets around the 20mile range. Now, I know about the rules and regs and all that b*******! When it comes SHTF time, I could give a big fat rats a** what broham thinks. I've got a set of Midland GTX710s that have the GMRS/FRS capability. I'm gonna wager my lunch money it can be done without costing an arm and a leg. I'll let you folks know how it goes when and if it does.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of this company before? From what I can gather they carry a pretty extensive line of communication equipment. From basic builds to the high end encryption military stuff our guys are using in Iraq. There is a storefront here in Atlanta I plan on going to at the end of the week. Maybe they have a catalog I can get and share their web site info. The reason I asked about these guys is that I have talked to a few fellas that have been in the comm. business for quite a while. My question to them was; Could you hotwire a GMRS radio to get a true 25-mile plus range out of them? Their answer was yes. Now that got my attention. Supposedly, one of the guys has a radio he built and is 50 watts and gets around the 20mile range. Now, I know about the rules and regs and all that b*******! When it comes SHTF time, I could give a big fat rats a** what broham thinks. I've got a set of Midland GTX710s that have the GMRS/FRS capability. I'm gonna wager my lunch money it can be done without costing an arm and a leg. I'll let you folks know how it goes when and if it does.
You are NOT going to get 20 miles or 50watts out of a hand held radio.

The horizon is about 6 miles away from a man holding a radio at his head. On flat land 12 miles handheld to handheld is MAX unless you know a magic spell to make radios curve on command. Now if your talking mountaintop to mountain top then longer is possible but the low quality of the radio's there is to much noise, not enough sensitivity to hear such a weak signal.

Keep in mind MOST of the GMRS/FRS bubble pack radio while rated at 5 watts seldom put out more than 2 watts, Even the FCC specs list less than what the rated power has. They play games with power consumption vs RF power output.

Now for the power level, You have neither the batter power or the heat dissipation capability in a handheld for 50watts. Keep in mind 50watts output with the cheap radio would man close to 100watts input. Most radio are 2 AA batteries. 3v at maybe 2 amps. Ohms law would say 6watts of power needed. Now. To get 50 watts at 3volts you need to get almost 17amps out of AA battery. NOT going to happen. If you want 50 watts on GMRS its very easy, just get a mobile and with a GMRS license its perfectly legal. If you want a true 5watt output portable radio you need to get a commercial UHF radio and put it on GMRS frequencies.

There only ack radio supply l found on the web was just a glorified CB/TV/Radio shop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The other post is correct that you cannot reasonably expect to get that much power or distance out of a handheld.

GMRS licenses permit transmit power at a maximum of 50 watts for GMRS only channels. The lower GMRS/FRS intersitial channels only permit 5W (1-7) and 1W (8-15).

You can run a mobile transmitter and an external antenna to get 50 watts and 20-35 miles (depending on antenna elevation and terrain.)

Note that a small 12V battery, mobile transmitter, and antenna could concievably be carried in a backpack. (I am NOT talking about a large deep cycle car/marine battery here.) There are 12V batteries in 8"x3"x3" forms, for instance. You may not get as much time out of those particular batteries, but the point is that it is feasible to carry a portable 12v power source.

Since it is 50W, you would still want to put the transmitter down and setup an antenna away from yourself before using your mobile rig.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The other post is correct that you cannot reasonably expect to get that much power or distance out of a handheld.

GMRS licenses permit transmit power at a maximum of 50 watts for GMRS only channels. The lower GMRS/FRS intersitial channels only permit 5W (1-7) and 1W (8-15).
FRS channels are 500mw (1/2 w) not 1 watt, GMRS can be upto 5watts but few combo radio put that much out, even the ones that say 5watts usually dont even put out 1/2 that except when plugged into an external 12 power source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.