Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
The prices aren't really all that bad. Sure, they're half what they are now, but gas was $.58 a gallon, a new house was $50k, and I remember buying a nice car that was $7500 new for $3500 used.

Of course, I only made $8500 a year working in a gas station, and if you made over $30k you were doing pretty well...

It's all relative.

It's interesting that was Illinois though.

Az

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
I think it was '76 when I bought a lever-action 30-30 for around $100. I THINK it was A Marlin. I had worked and saved my grass cutting and yard raking money as well as picked up soda bottles to get the money for it. I cut grass/Raked leaves for $5 a yard. My friend had the good paying ones, He made $10 for a couple of yards. But those were measured in acres too.... like 2 acres or so:xeye:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prices at other stores for these same items back in 1978-79 probably were a tad lower. Ace Hardware has always been higher compared to other stores. I remember back in the mid-80s when you could get a pump Winchester Ranger 12 ga shotgun for $149 at K-Mart. I got one Christmas of 1985.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.