Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
The prices aren't really all that bad. Sure, they're half what they are now, but gas was $.58 a gallon, a new house was $50k, and I remember buying a nice car that was $7500 new for $3500 used.

Of course, I only made $8500 a year working in a gas station, and if you made over $30k you were doing pretty well...

It's all relative.

It's interesting that was Illinois though.

Az

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
I think it was '76 when I bought a lever-action 30-30 for around $100. I THINK it was A Marlin. I had worked and saved my grass cutting and yard raking money as well as picked up soda bottles to get the money for it. I cut grass/Raked leaves for $5 a yard. My friend had the good paying ones, He made $10 for a couple of yards. But those were measured in acres too.... like 2 acres or so:xeye:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prices at other stores for these same items back in 1978-79 probably were a tad lower. Ace Hardware has always been higher compared to other stores. I remember back in the mid-80s when you could get a pump Winchester Ranger 12 ga shotgun for $149 at K-Mart. I got one Christmas of 1985.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Western Auto, 1976 my husband bought a Stevens 311 16 gauge side by side and paid 130.00. Still in great shape.

Forgot all about it until this thread, and even though we had to budget to buy it, I'm glad he did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts