Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Food Storage Solutions
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been stocking up on ammo.....lots....and....lots of ammo. My question is:
I know ammo has a long shelf life but if you have moisture issues, what can you purchase to absorb moisture? Are there little packets of something that you can buy that will perform that function?

·
Shhhh
24 Posts
To be the most effective, you need to order these packets, vacuum packed, as they are active when exposed to the air. Those retrieved from shoeboxes or other shipments are better than nothing, I suppose, but not functioning to its full potential unless new. (The same rule applies to the O2 Absorbers)

·
Have gun,will travel
4,538 Posts
Do you really have that much for moisture issues? I just throw the ammo in a GI can and seal the lid...

Reactions: MikeK

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
14,152 Posts
Anything that absorbs moisture can be used as a dessicant.

Silica Gel
Rice
Kitty Litter
Sand
Gypsum(Sheetrock)
Cardboard

How to purge moisture from something that wicks moisture:

Put in oven at a high temperature for several hours, pull and install in whatever you are wanting control moisture in!

Notice I didn't give a temperature, you'll need to make sure you don't burn or melt your material

Depending......kotex and tampons work for moisture control too

As you heat air or material, the Relative Humidity goes down.

I really don't use anything for moisture control in my ammo cans aside from the box the ammo came in

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
To be the most effective, you need to order these packets, vacuum packed, as they are active when exposed to the air. Those retrieved from shoeboxes or other shipments are better than nothing, I suppose, but not functioning to its full potential unless new. (The same rule applies to the O2 Absorbers)
The ones from shoeboxes and such are already saturated with moisture. You can revive them by baking them at low temperature in the oven for a few hours. But reusing them without dehydrating them first achieves absolutely nothing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.