Survivalist Forum banner

Did Abraham committed adultery ?

1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an earlier conversation between me and another member here, the member accused Prophet Abraham of committing a sin by marrying Hagar and giving birth to Ishmael.

My simple question is:

Does anyone has the right to accuse Abraham of adultery ?

·
prepared for life & death
2,467 Posts
He didn't marry Hagar. End of discussion. Sarah said he could sleep with her servant Hagar. Perhaps Mr. Webster can help----"Definition of adultery

: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than that person's current spouse or partner". Permission means nothing

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I believe he did commit adultery but that doesn't make him any less a child of God than anyone else. We all sin and fall short of righteousness. David, Solomon, and others committed adultery as well. Christ forgave a woman found in an adulterous situation in the New Testament and told her to "sin no more." Abraham was a great patriarch but he was also an imperfect patriarch.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,649 Posts
Leviticus 18:20
"You shall not have intercourse with your neighbor's wife, to be defiled with her.
NASU

In the old testament adultery was when a man had sexual relations with another man's wife. (like David did.)

What Abraham did was dumb perhaps but not adultery under that law.

Even Tamar and Judah is not a clear cut case of adultery.

·
That'll be the day...
3,749 Posts
Leviticus 18:20
"You shall not have intercourse with your neighbor's wife, to be defiled with her.
NASU

In the old testament adultery was when a man had sexual relations with another man's wife. (like David did.)

What Abraham did was dumb perhaps but not adultery under that law.

Even Tamar and Judah is not a clear cut case of adultery.

The Law hadn't been given yet. It wasn't until generations later that it was revealed too Moses.

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,273 Posts
Does anyone has the right to accuse Abraham of adultery ?
Horribly worded question. The question has nothing to do with rights and the question is; did Abraham commit adultery. Obviously, yes.

The Law hadn't been given yet. It wasn't until generations later that it was revealed too Moses.
Caine murdered his brother Abel. It has nothing to do when the concept of murder or adultery came about.

Perhaps the question is, did Abraham's adultery go against the will of God, like did Lot's daughter's committing incest go against the will of God? Again, obviously, yes.

Abraham committing adultery - at the urging of his wife - is akin to Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit; it's willful disobedience to circumvent God's plan.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He didn't marry Hagar. End of discussion. Sarah said he could sleep with her servant Hagar. Perhaps Mr. Webster can help----"Definition of adultery

: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and someone other than that person's current spouse or partner". Permission means nothing
What's your source that he didn't marry Hagar ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe he did commit adultery but that doesn't make him any less a child of God than anyone else. We all sin and fall short of righteousness. David, Solomon, and others committed adultery as well. Christ forgave a woman found in an adulterous situation in the New Testament and told her to "sin no more." Abraham was a great patriarch but he was also an imperfect patriarch.
That's a great difference between Islam and other religions..Muslims believe that God chose the best among humanity to deliver his message. God chooses whom He pleases for this purpose. They were the best in morals and they were mentally and physically fit, protected by God from falling into cardinal, major sins.

This video shows the difference between Qur'an & Bible when it comes to the stories of the Prophets.

·
Banned
570 Posts
the difference between Qur'an & Bible
Isa 41:21* “Present your case,” says יהוה. “Let your strong ones come near,” says the Sovereign of Ya‛aqoḇ.*
Isa 41:22* “Let them draw near and declare to us what is going to take place; let them declare the former events, what they were, and we consider them, and know the latter end of them; or announce to us what is coming.*
Isa 41:23* “Declare the events that are going to come hereafter, and we know that you are mighty ones; yes, do good or do evil, and let us be amazed and see it together.*
Isa 41:24* “See, you are of naught, and your work a breath; he who chooses you is an abomination.*

Isa 46:9* “Remember the former events of old, for I am Ěl, and there is no one else – Elohim, and there is no one like Me,*
Isa 46:10* declaring the end from the beginning, and from of old that which has not yet been done, saying, ‘My counsel does stand, and all My delight I do,’*

Isa 48:3* “I have declared the former events from the beginning, and they went forth from My mouth, and I made you hear them. Suddenly I acted, and they came to be.*

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gen 26:5* because Aḇraham obeyed My voice and guarded My Charge: My commands, My laws, and My Torot.
Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
my charge … my laws] A strange redundancy of expression, reminding us of the style of Deut. The four words “charge,” “commandments,” “statutes,” “laws,” correspond to the more simple phrase “the way of the Lord” in Genesis 18:19. The observance of legal enactments, ascribed to Abraham, is, strictly speaking, an anachronism. Cf. Deuteronomy 11:1, “Therefore thou shall love the Lord thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgements, and his commandments, alway”; 1 Kings 2:3.
Benson Commentary
He obeyed the original laws of nature, the revealed laws of divine worship, particularly that of circumcision, and all the extraordinary precepts God gave him, as that of quitting his country, and that (which some think is more especially referred to) respecting the offering up of his son, which Isaac himself had reason enough to remember.
Pulpit Commentary
and my laws - which refer to the great doctrines of moral obligation.​

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

Genesis 2:24, "“Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.”

The 10 Commandments hadn't been given to Moses yet but God still expected a "man" (singular) to cleave to his "wife" (singular).

We know that God could "command" something of mankind even in the Garden of Eden. He commanded Adam and Eve to avoid eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil. So God did expect certain things of man even before Moses was born.

Reactions: JenFred

·
Banned
570 Posts

Gen 4:7* If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door.

Also before Sinai: Exo 16:28* And יהוה said to Mosheh, “How long shall you refuse to guard My commands and My Torah?"

These proofs seem evident they had His Instructions. Even Noah knew the difference between clean/unclean animals as well.

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,273 Posts
Everyone shall have the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty.. This applies to the commoners...Does the friend of God deserve this right :confused:
No one deserves a right for rights are bestowed by our Creator. Hence, the notion that it is inalienable. Odd that you are fixated on undermining the notion of rights, which is connected to restraining government.

The notion of presumption of innocence, again pertains ONLY to government action in a legal proceeding.

We don't know that Abraham married Hagar but we do know he was married to Sara. That, plus the act of adultery makes him an adulterer, rights and accusations not withstanding.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No one deserves a right for rights are bestowed by our Creator. Hence, the notion that it is inalienable. Odd that you are fixated on undermining the notion of rights, which is connected to restraining government.

The notion of presumption of innocence, again pertains ONLY to government action in a legal proceeding.

We don't know that Abraham married Hagar but we do know he was married to Sara. That, plus the act of adultery makes him an adulterer, rights and accusations not withstanding.
The act of adultery is just in your mind and you didn't prove it.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,915 Posts
Abraham had 2 wives, Sarah, and Keturah (after Sarah's death). He had several additional sons with Keturah and sent them away.

Isaac was the son of the promise and Abraham treated him accordingly, but remember Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebecca.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts