Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's not a bad way to do it at all! You need a good filter system for potable use, straight from the pool for flushing toilets, etc. Some kind of a cover to help keep debris out would be good. Drinking or washing in nuclear fallout isn't recommended.
You would need to keep the ph at the right level and monitor the chlorine to keep it from blooming.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,138 Posts
I've got a question. This is all good and it would come in real handy if you needed it in case of losing your water but what but i've got a concern with if SHTF how are you gonna keep strangers out of it?
Unless you can put it in your basement or put up a wooden fence around it to hide it I see a big problem with protecting it.
But, that's just me. Probably worrying about nothing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not for potable water.

When the plastic was made in the USA it was bad for you. Now they are all made in China so who knows what is leeching into the water.

The only way to remove potentially cancer causing chemicals is reverse osmosis or use a distiller. Both are energy inefficient and RO filter wastes a lot of water.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
prefer to deploy kiddie pools instead .... 150 gallons each .... good house construction can handle the weight .... buy them at season close-outs for $8 each

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I guess it depends on how you plan to use the water because PFWAG is correct.

The issue with many plastics these days, is they contain a lot of harmful contaminants, such as lead, which may leach into the water over time. And, treating the water with harsh chemicals like chlorine, might accelerate the process.

From the CDC

"...The use of lead in plastics has not been banned. It softens the plastic and makes it more flexible so that it can go back to its original shape..."

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/toys.htm

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I have an in ground that holds over 15k gallons. It is right next to basement. It is treated year round but would still filter it before using it for cooking/drinking. I dont count it towards my stores but am more comfortable knowing it is there. And even if algae does grow, how is it worse than filtering river/pond water? At least there is no fish crap in it. But should I need it I could run a hose through my dryer vent down to basement and syphon it without ever going outside.

It is blocked from street view but my neighbors know it is there.

My point it that you cannot count on it. Unless it is in basement kept full, what is the point. It could be too late when you want to fill it.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
i thought i read on internet that u can drink pool water as long as ph is right... my mom has a salt system which is better for drinking i think.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Properly maintained pool water is potable.

·
Has Deplaned - Adios
461 Posts
Originally Posted by BetterSafe
Okay, maybe this is a stupid question - but would this be a poor way to keep some water around?
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...435-01293-6407
I mean for $200 this thing holds over 3700 gallons of water....
Read more at http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=227770#rdY5AvbhkO1ryQ12.99

Mine holds 17,500 gallons. I would not drink it until I boiled it, or if not able to boil, I can treat it other ways, for which I am prepared. If we have any kind of airborne problem, then I have to write it off, and I am prepared to do so. My prayer is that I can use it at least for grey water for the neighborhood. Again, between boiling and an ultraviolet filter, which I have, I would not hesitate to drink it, if there is no airborne pollution known to render it unsafe.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
My pool holds 13,000 gallons. I would drink it without treatment if needed but would prefer to add a few drops of bleach per gallon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finally cleaned up an above ground pool that I bought 22,000 gallons... new to the prepping stuff but the pool will serve for both recreation and emergency. If Im calculating things correctly I will need 4 big RV deep cycle batterys and 2 more solar panels (already have 2) to keep the pump going for 8 hours a day.
As far as keeping the "zombies" out thats what the fence and no traspassing signs are for, because zombies cant read... and if they cant read the sign they must be a zombie...

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,594 Posts
,,,,,do you have a basement or garage?
That would keep it safe,,,,,
It might keep it safe, but I would imagine you would have great difficulty with mold in the basement or garage where it is stored. Check out how they handle that problem with indoor pools. I think they just chlorinate them the heck out of them, so it might complicate maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts