Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After experiencing the long lasting outages here in Texas and realizing I was horribly under-prepared, I am going to buy a generator, and I really want to get one that is duel fuel (propane and gas) and would also have easily replaceable carbs that I could modify to burn alcohol. I could not find one that fit both descriptions (let me know if you have a suggestion) but based on reviews it looks like DuroMax makes good dual-fuel generators. I am looking at probably getting an XP12000HX. Does anybody have experience with the DuroMax brand or a better suggestion?

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,936 Posts
My wife and I have the same desire for a large whole house generator. We plan to, run it entirely on propane, and we have a 1,000 gal tank. I want to power the 220v deep well pump, heat pump, and frig/freezer with it.

My plan right now is to buy a 7kw Honda, and mount it on a concrete slab under my covered deck. Availability is a problem right now, so I figgure I would wait till early summer.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
A 12000 watt unit would burn a ton of fuel
I would get a 5500 watt unit at most .
I like the champion units better and they are less money .
I wouldn’t bother with propane I like the gas units just turn the fuel off and run it dry .
Use sabilsil in the fuel and replace it every year .
My place is off grid and run a 2800 watt Honda Daly this time of year

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Why that size?

Figure your loads, add 1/3rd, then look for a genset.
Personally, I would look at Champions line of inverting gensets.
And I would look for the smallest that would do the job.

Making your own electricity is expensive.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I like the champion 3500 watt unit , I was going to try it but then Honda came up with there 2800 watt and I took the sure bet , I think if you want the genarator to start when you get in a jam it should say Honda on the side 👍

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,936 Posts
Unless Champion has improved their quality and durability a great deal, I would not trust them for a whole house backup power application. I already own two smaller gasoline powered generators, but with the storm damage common in this area, I might have to run a backup gen (8 hrs per day) for 30 days.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,704 Posts
5000 watts is plenty unless you want to run a central air conditioner. Mine handled 2 weeks of no power after IKE. Ran 2 window units, fridge, lights, small TV, fans, etc.
Going larger just increases fuel consumption.

I don't know of any alcohol fueled generators. Nat gas, using a US CArb snorkle, Gasoline, propane or Diesel are the options.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why that size?

Figure your loads, add 1/3rd, then look for a genset.
Personally, I would look at Champions line of inverting gensets.
And I would look for the smallest that would do the job.

Making your own electricity is expensive.
I calculated my wattage needs based on reasonable estimates of what I would use. That being my refrigerator, chest freezer, lights, TV, AC or Heat, and probably a computer. Total came out to around 7000 starting, 4000 running watts. Since the prices between those size ranges wasn't very much, I figured it would be worth it to just get the 12000 watt unit since it throttles based on demand, right?

·
AimSmallMissSmall
1,031 Posts
I trimmed down my power needs.....gas furnace....refrigerator....micro wave....tv...and computers.....and a Honda EU2000I...carries the load.....running in the back yard...my two neighbors can NOT hear it running.....runs for 11 hours on one gallon of gas....added a remote marine fuel tank...can top it off with out needing to stop the Honda.....best $900 I ever spent....

·
Ordinary Average Guy
1,022 Posts
@UntamedMind The question of size has already been asked, so I will back away from that and ask, why alcohol?
You already say you want dual fuel. Powering a generator that size would take a LOT of alcohol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@UntamedMind The question of size has already been asked, so I will back away from that and ask, why alcohol?
You already say you want dual fuel. Powering a generator that size would take a LOT of alcohol.
It was an idea I got from someone else in another thread. Apparently the carburetors can be modified to run the generator on alcohol. Specifically if it was made in a still as an emergency fuel source. I don't know how feasible this actually is. It was just a thing I was considering.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
7000 watts is a lot of power every thing won’t run and start at the same time .
I don’t know about the a/ c
I would go smaller
I only get 4/5 hours on my Honda 2200 but my son uses 2 air concentrators at once
So it’s running hard .

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those Honda generators are nice and I'm sure are probably the best, but they're so expensive compared to other brands. And I don't know if 2200 watts is really enough. A bigger generator may use more fuel but honestly I'd rather spend the money to store a crap load of propane tanks and gas than be underpowered. I don't really want to spend more than $1500 on a generator.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,891 Posts

This is what I have only downside is its loud. Runs on NG or LP Not gas, gas is hard to obtain in a grid down situation. And if you leave gas in it when you go to start it chances are it won't work.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see Ford makes generators now. Interesting. Seems to have decent reviews on the Home Depot website.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Imagine this , it’s 4 am -5 out side , snowing hard and windy .
The last thing you are going to want to do is fight with a cheep ass genarator to get the heat on .
The fuel cost is significant you are going to spend the money any way .
My smaller genarators for work burn 5 gallons every 8 hours or so
15 gallons in 24 hours 45 bucks a day .
it adds up fast. A frig frezzer uses 125/ 150 watts running led light burn nothing really tv 50 watts heat ? Ac? Computer 100 watts

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,850 Posts
I believe you're on the right track with dual-fuel. Propane doesn't go bad, and you can treat gasoline. I have a dual-fuel generator (bought a Wen 4750-watt generator last fall), and my former generator as a backup.

Here's one thing I believe many should do differently: they buy a generator that will run their entire house at normal usage. IMO, that's wasteful. In a grid-down or emergency situation, it ISN'T life as normal. I live in the north, so YMMV, but mine is sized so it can run the furnace, water heater, couple of refrigerators and a freezer, and the circuit the microwave is on. I have a transfer switch that isolates from the grid six circuits in my house, enough that I can be comfortable should the power go out.

I don't need, in an emergency, to be sure I can run everything. Doing so, IMO, just wastes fuel. In fact, I don't plan to run mine more than a few hours per day, enough to run the furnace off and on, refresh the refrigerators/freezer, and keep body and soul together.

Running intermittently will save fuel, and that's key. Further, if it's winter, I can put refrigerated items in a cooler and keep them outside, eliminating the need to run at least some of the refrigerators and freezer. I'd rather take the money I'd have spent on a larger generator, and on more fuel, and repurpose that money elsewhere.

My 2 cents, YMMV, void in states where it's void.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts