Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about seeding straight to the garden and am ready to put my seeds down tonight. I've been wanting to get out there a few weeks ago but haven't been able to find the time between rain showers to avoid the mud.

I've already ordered my potato sets but they haven't arrived yet and expect them any day. I'll be attempting potato towers this year and was thinking of making a few towers in containers above ground and next to the house to avoid rodents and bugs as part of my test.

My garden last year was the worst I've even had but to be honest I was using seeds that were three years old and that was part of the test. I'm starting with new seeds this year and completely changing my plant types. I normally plant lots of tomatoes but will abandon most of those since my wife doesn't eat them. I'll prolly put on tomato and one jalapeno plant out and focus on carrots, beans, celery, greens, onions and potatoes.

I want to learn seed harvest soon also.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Depending on where you are and what you're planting it may not be late. I'm near Denver and it's snowing tonight.

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The long range weather forecast for next week suggests that night time lows will dip down to mid 30s so we'll be perilously close to some frost danger, especially for new seedlings. The rule in Kentucky is that you should not put anything in the ground before Derby Day. It was my plan to adjust that time allowing for germination and our unseasonably warm winter has caused me to try to get a jump on the calendar "rule."

We'll see. Nice shower last night and I was able to get everything in the ground except the potatoes. This is my fifth year of gardening with intent and I haven't planned very well with regard to harvest schedules. I'm really still in testing and learning stage so I'll need to keep better notes and do a better job planting to coordinate harvest dates.

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
It's been wet ( normal) here but about ten degrees cooler than average here. I waited till the dark of the moon after st. Patrick's day and planted the potatoes. Going to start three sisters this week. It's supposed to be be warmer this week so melons, maters and peppers.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I'm just getting my tomatoes and peppers started in Jiffy pots. That should have been done about a month ago, but I think this spring started warming early enough that it won't matter if they're a little smaller when I plant them out in May. Should have also gotten my salad bed (lettuce, spinach, carrots, onions, garlic), potatoes and strawberries in the ground a week or so ago. That hasn't happened yet. I just got my garden spot cleared of debris piles and covered in black plastic this past Sunday. I suspect I'm going to be building a shade hoop for the greens before they're done this year, in order to keep them cooler.

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just getting my tomatoes and peppers started in Jiffy pots. That should have been done about a month ago, but I think this spring started warming early enough that it won't matter if they're a little smaller when I plant them out in May. Should have also gotten my salad bed (lettuce, spinach, carrots, onions, garlic), potatoes and strawberries in the ground a week or so ago. That hasn't happened yet. I just got my garden spot cleared of debris piles and covered in black plastic this past Sunday. I suspect I'm going to be building a shade hoop for the greens before they're done this year, in order to keep them cooler.
I like the idea of a shade hoop. Been thinkin' on that one myself. Glad you raised the idea again. I'll be working toward that plan early so I'm ready when the babies pop up. Thanx:thumb:

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I like the idea of a shade hoop. Been thinkin' on that one myself. Glad you raised the idea again. I'll be working toward that plan early so I'm ready when the babies pop up. Thanx:thumb:

It's simple to DIY, just some 1/2" cpvc pipe and fittings and cheap lightweight white cotton fabric. When I've made one before I used spray glue to stick the fabric to the plastic then backed that up with a couple zip screws (short hex-head sheet metal screws used in ductwork) in each rib. If one were to get fancy (and had a machine) it wouldn't take long to sew pockets in the fabric to slide the ribs through before assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts