Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if a small pox injection lasts for life?

In the late 70's I lived in Mozambique (I was only a very young boy) and had a small pox injection. I don't know anyone my age who is white and has had this injection.

Many people don't realise just how terrible small pox is, they think it's a bit like chicken pox, rather than a killer disease.

If small pox comes back will I have some immunity?

YB

·
Banned
73 Posts
The answer is yes. Small pox does not mutate. And even if it did your T-cells would still detect it to some degree and give you a head start in fighting it off.

"Immunity" is more than just one etiology. You have cells that identify and cells that attack. The attack cells may wear off over time, say with a cholera shot. But the identifying cells do not. So even if an immunity has "worn off" you are better off for the shot than not because your system will respond to the problem far quicker --via the identifying T-cells and increase your chances of survival or not getting sick.

This is why an annual flu shot is a good idea. The flu does mutate and attack cells to die off but the body remembers the attack and is always looking for the same attack or a similar attack. With built up T-cells you have less sickness and a better prognosis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts