Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know the dogs, does anyone hunt with them? according to wikipedia "dachshund" acctuly means "bagerr dog", and one of their cuter habbits, (rolling on their backs) was acctuly a trait they where bread for so that when being chaised by a hog they could get under it and atack its vitals and genitalia.

So, thoughts?

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Dachshunds are usually pretty nice. From what I've seen, the different coat types are not only coat types, but other breeds are actually crossed in which also changes the temperment. The long haired is more of a pet. The wire hair is more like a hunter in one way and the short hair in another way.

Go to a kennel and meet a few to get a better idea.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My dachshund is a pain in the ass. He is usually nice but gets very aggressive when he is scared or threatened. When approached by larger dogs he will always try to fight them. He also chases any and all animals while barking loudly and if he hears anything out of the ordinary the hair all down his back stands up.

Not sure if any of these traits are desirable though haha

When first looking at the breed in general I found a lot of information about them being used for hunting, both hogs and smaller animals. They are small so they are able to run into dens and small areas to flush out animals. They are also good at tracking scents due to their hound bloodline.

They are a pain to train but apparently once trained make excellent hunting dogs.

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
Mostly in Germany but yes some folks still use dachshunds for working purposes.
I doubt there is much working quality in the American Bloodlines but I don't know much about this specific breed so i can't say for sure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I googled after seeing this thread and found a couple websites also talking about them being used to track wounded big game in the northeast.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
My dad had a full size dashhound that he'd hunt deer with. It would go into tight brush and chase them out towards my dad. But that was many years ago.

Most dogs can be trained to do anything. You need patience and love and time to get them to perform.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Little dogs with big fierce hearts, and not a lot of common sense. They tend to get themselves into trouble, if you don't keep an eye on them. Their eyes and noses lead them astray! My Uncle used to be a breeder...they are also hilarious little guys...loyal too.

Most German dogs are good dogs to own for their specific qualities...I happen to really like the German Shepard. I was raised with one as a kid. Unbelievably smart, and very protective.
My father did an excellent job training ours...

My fathers friend had a huge male Doberman Pincher...that dog scared the hell out of me!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
you know the dogs, does anyone hunt with them? according to wikipedia "dachshund" acctuly means "bagerr dog", and one of their cuter habbits, (rolling on their backs) was acctuly a trait they where bread for so that when being chaised by a hog they could get under it and atack its vitals and genitalia.

So, thoughts?
I am training mine for hunting elk, deer, reindeer and rabbit. They are fenomenal hunter. Only drawback when hunting elk is that their legs are so short that they have problems getting away when the elk kicks.
Dogfinder is a must though.. If not you won't see your dog again for a couple of days.
Another advantage is that if the dog gets sore paws you can just stick him in your backpack and carry him. Its a big dog in a little body!

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
I am training mine for hunting elk, deer, reindeer and rabbit. They are fenomenal hunter. Only drawback when hunting elk is that their legs are so short that they have problems getting away when the elk kicks.
Dogfinder is a must though.. If not you won't see your dog again for a couple of days.
Another advantage is that if the dog gets sore paws you can just stick him in your backpack and carry him. Its a big dog in a little body!
That is really cool.
In many states (here in the US) it is illegal to use dogs when hunting big game.
I have heard several old timers say that if they see a dog harassing or chasing deer, moose or elk they just flat out shoot the dog, no questions asked. :(

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
That is really cool.
In many states (here in the US) it is illegal to use dogs when hunting big game.
I have heard several old timers say that if they see a dog harassing or chasing deer, moose or elk they just flat out shoot the dog, no questions asked. :(
Different hunting culture..
Dogs are nearly always used for hunting here, both for small and big game.
Dachs is probably, along with the norwegian elkhound, the most used big game dog here now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Some states allow the use of dogs to track wounded deer as this is more humane than letting a wounded deer wander around and bleed out, possibly never to be found.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
My dachshund is a pain. He pisses constantly and always never makes it outside. They are barkers when they sense trouble.

-Cade

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Here in central Florida I have seen a man with two dachshunds often on the Wekiva bike trail. He is missing one leg below the knee and rides a bike slowly. On two leashes are two dachshunds who run along with him for several miles. But, on the way home they get to ride in two saddle bags, one on each side of the bike behind the seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts