Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They came in today from "cheaperthandirt.com", five each, and they are factory new and sealed in it original container.......it came with "TWO" pairs of air filters, extra cover for the eye piece, canteen top to drink with mask on and a few more goodies that I have to find out what they are for.

Only sealed bag that I didn't open was the one containing the air filters, after looking at them I whould have no reservation in using them in case of an emergency :thumb:

PS: One pair of their air filters is worth more than the $10.00 that I paid for the whole thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're referring to the Israeli ones on there, I read in several of the comments that the filters are pretty aged, and set to expire anywhere from 2000-2010 or something like that. I've also heard that expired filters can be toxic... not sure if I'd chance it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
He is referring to the East German M10 masks and they have been out of date for at least 10 years. I used to collect gas masks. I would not use the M10. It is a copy of our M17 mask. The filters fit inside the mask as cheek pieces. These masks were not made after 1987 in East Germany. They have been brought in by a company out of Marietta GA. Please be careful as stated above. The masks are old. I was at Cheaper than Dirt today and asked them about this. They said for collectable use only .

If you seriously want a good mask then go with a current production mask combined with a chemical hazard suit, booties, gloves and hood. Also try any mask on for size and check for air tight seal on your face.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are both wrong..........Israeli gas mask? rather die than to wear that crap they are rotten from the heat of the dessert.

The ones I got are Czech and I didn't see anything wrong with them.......factory new.

And like I said before, I have two very expensive protective gas masks........this five from Cheaper Than Dirt are in case someone near by needs one, better than nothing.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Just be sure they are good seals and you have up to date filters. I am not questioning your judgement. Cheaper than Dirt has the east german stuff in stock now for $10.

Cheaper than Dirt has them listed as Czech but they are in fact East German. The East Germans made them for several countries in the Eastern Block and beyond. They were made to use our M17 Filters in a pinch. They probably came out of the Czech Republic but they are not Czech production. Look at their add and it says 1980s production. These are OLD Masks. Be careful since the filters are all at least 20 years old.

Again I was there today and spoke to them about the masks. Remember we got rid of this model mask in the US military for a good reason. You have to remove the mask from your head to change the two filters. In bad dust situations the filters will clog after a couple of hours of use. Good luck.

You may want to reference the Noah's Ark article on gas masks. Below:
http://www.wolfhazmat.de/m10me.htm

Noah’s Ark article: http://standeyo.com/News_Files/NBC/Masks.html

·
Registered
106 Posts
Like GJCO said, you get what you pay for. If its surplus from czechoslavakia, a country that doesnt even exist anymore. I'm quite sure, that they have degraded beyond the point where they would be helpfull, even if they were sealed. The masks I used in the military got tested all the time. And several times, they were found to be lacking, and needed to be repaired. And these are top quality, expensive masks. I only had to use a mask once, about 5 years ago. I'm glad mine worked.....are you willing to stake your life on a mask from Cheaper than Dirt? I'm not.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys read English? :confused:.......or is my English so bad that you don't understand what I already said more than once?...........so........once again, for my own personal use I have two very good and expensive protective gas mask, those five are only in case there is someone around me that might need one in an emergency.......better than nothing....yes?

I oppened one of them and the rubber is in top shape and the same thing with everything in the "factory" sealed container ....... now then, go and play outside.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I don't want to fight about this. Truce please. This is getting out of hand. Most of us just don't want to let people think that these are new production. The Czechs didn't use them after the wall fell. They were with us in Desert Storm and used Nato masks. That is like 19 years ago. Glad you have good masks.

I appreciate the offer of the masks above. I have masks now with Chem suits if they are needed. Don't see that as much as a good filter mask needed.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
no, that offer is open to anyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
CTD Mask

Have to agree with Ponce. Purchased a couple of them (they're Finnish) and they are in "new / unissued condition" with all kinds of extras. A good deal for $10.00. Granted the filters are non-standard, but you can pick up some convertors to switch to the standard NATO.

·
Registered
798 Posts
As far as old filters being toxic,they are. I just went through my annual NBC training a couple weeks ago. They asked us if we had any filters that were sealed in the metal cans. Then told us to turn them in. After we turned them in they told us that there was somthing in the old filters that could cause cancer of somthing. Then they issued us new filters that were sealed in a plastic can.

·
Registered
175 Posts
seems like a reasonable deal, give the dodgy mask to the mother inlaw works for me :)

personnely i have avon S10 masks and have serviced each one to make sure they are in top condition. i have also insured i have the correct filter canisters for NBC not all canisters out there are suitable for NBC so do your homework and get it right for your mask or get dead

this discussion does raise one point how many of you that have gas masks know how to use them may sound daft but if not used correctly you are dead, seconds count in bio or chem attacks. practise putting them on get your family to have drills.

GJCO: You get what you pay for, there I said it.

if you are thinking of buy one of the cheap masks for yourself you have just valued your life at $5,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts