Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I want to find out which are the best none rechargable AA batteries on the market ? I'm losing faith in CR123As as I have now had two go bang in the last two years ruining one of my Inova X 5 flashlights. So if I can find some really serious high quality long shelf life AA batteries I'm going to styandardise all my kit radios, flashlights etc on AA batteries.
I've no faith in rechargables as they are only good for running low powered radios they just dont last the distance in flashlights.

So folks which AA's do you think are the absolute best please?
NR

·
Registered
14 Posts
dont know if this will help but try kodak aa's, if youve got a poundland up near you, you could stock up! just a thought...

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I think you must have had some bad experiences with some bad rechargeable batteries, these are the ones I have used and they great, even compared to Alkaline batteries.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you must have had some bad experiences with some bad rechargeable batteries, these are the ones I have used and they great, even compared to Alkaline batteries.

Amazon.com: Tenergy High capacity NiMH Rechargeable battery package: 12 AA 2600 mAh + 12 AAA 1000 mAh: Electronics
Trouble with many rechargables including a lot of the quality ones is they are designed to run at 1.2 volts, but the better LED flashlights run at 1.4 to 1.5 volts so the rechargables dont work for long, Admittedly they are great for stuff like radios, but for tactical applications such as my BOB flashlight I prefer single use 1.5 volt batteries.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
Im standardising to AAA- my few essential electronics run off those, specifically BOB stuff. Small radio, LED Lenser, and eventually a Garmin fortrex 401 (one day lol), they are lighter also- but AA's are certainly more prolific.

long shelf life is something i cant advise on- but standard no frills Duracell i trust most, but Pasonic are pretty good also and i am happy with either- most bang for said buck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
North I use the 1033 green batteries i'm sure you know what I mean the type the QM guards more than his 17year old daughter

I have some fuji batts in my patrol torch I got them from a camera shop a bit on the expensive side but have last 12+ months so far

max

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Best AA disposable are Energizer Ultimate Lithium.

You can buy them in quantity off ebay for about $1.25 each delivered - 15 year shelf life.

Buy adapter sleeves and use them as 'C' batteries as well.

For disposable batteries I only buy the above and industrial 'D' alkaline batteries (Duracell Procell off ebay), using battery adapters to fill in for 'C' and '6V lantern' batteries.

AAA batteries have so little capacity compared to AA that I won't use them in any critical devices (even my headlamp uses a single lithium AA battery)

Consumer grade AA alkaline batteries LEAK like crazy - lost 3 Minimags to them - never again, I'd use Eneloops if lithium AAs weren't available in my critical devices.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr NC bill makes a very valuable point when it comes to trying to standardise on one size of batteries the way Gent and I are trying to do, you can utilise those C and D cell adaptors to get AA's to fit other devices in an emergency.

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
That's a fair point, I don't think you can get aaa adapters for larger battery sizes... Something to ponder.
I will contest that aaa batteries have little capacity- I haven't needed to change them yet in my P7, or the radio- and I have friends with Hos systems that run off them with zero issues with longevity.

Consider that they are nearly always used in series- 3 or 4 working together; as such in a similar size appliance you may be able to for more in to eaqual or surpass as performance.
Also- on a similar vein to than 22lr vs 308 argument, they may be less potent, but they are smaller and lighter.

Just some musings on the topic, :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts