Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A2 or collapsible stock.... When out shooting or hunting in the field extra items can be carried in the stock of the rifle cleaning rod to get out mud and snow our of the barrel. Bore patches, brushes and
something that has been real handy was broken case extractor.
Have used it a couple of times some folks shooting reloads the case splits apart and that is when the
case extractor is handy.
Now have one for my 308 and 30-06.
They are not very costly you can get them from CDNN for $ 3.99 part #NCJM019 for the 223 or 5.56
they are out of the 308 and 3006 at this time......
You can get them from Brownells but are a little more in cost part #100-003-126 $10.99 308, $10.99
part #100-003-127AD 30-06, they have them for the 762X39 and 765X54R as well.....
Carry these in the field a real plus you never Know when you my break a case.......

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I have the Crane collapsible stock, I can carry small items in it.

Use a muzzle cap to keep crap out of the barrel, you can shoot through them.

Broken shell extractor stays on my vest in a "gadget" pouch with my boresnake and bottle of CLP.

The collapsible stock is more versatile to me, all the way in for body armor, 1/2 out for no armor. I don't like the stock all the way out.

·
Banned
349 Posts
both my ar's have collable stocks. i was thinking about swaping to a fixed stock on my entry ar that a bayo fits on. i figure if i could stick it, i would be close enough to deliver a butt stroke, and fixed stock would be best. what you think, doc?

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
both my ar's have collable stocks. i was thinking about swaping to a fixed stock on my entry ar that a bayo fits on. i figure if i could stick it, i would be close enough to deliver a butt stroke, and fixed stock would be best. what you think, doc?
Fixed Stock + Bayonet = too long for indoor use.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Mine has the A2, was kind of bummed about it at first but have since decided that I like it. I thought of changing it but since a 20" AR isnt exactly a CQB weapon in the first place and I dont intend to go around kicking in doors and playing FBI I decided I would save the money.

Sure, it doesnt look as cool but then again I usually lean more to practicality/functionality rather than cool looks. I just cant come up with how a collapsible stock would improve the functionality.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Boils down to personal preference. As above stated, a bayo on an e&c weapon is not practical nor is it useful.

My preference is a fixed stock on a rifle with optics set up to engage longer distances, IE with longer bbl. M4 ofcourse has the adj stock.

-Nate

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts

Buttstroke to the head is a glorious thing ;)

But that whole fix bayonets is not so good, if it gets to that point you've made some serious tactical errors......

I agree with the logic of A1/A2 stock for smacking people......... I think with a collapsible you'd bend the buffer tube and put your gun out of commission.

My alternative is if they are that close I will pistol whip them with my SIG or stab them with my Kabar, no sense in getting blood on my carbine.

Reactions: hardcore

·
Registered
103 Posts
The collapsible stock is more versatile to me, all the way in for body armor, 1/2 out for no armor. I don't like the stock all the way out.
I've always been OK with the A1 (without armor), but the A2 is truly horrible. If they'd shortened it by about as much as they lengthened it it would have been perfect -- for me, anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like the A2 stock, I took out the metal cleaning rods and keep a 22 cal BoreSnake coiled up in my stock.I do keep the tooth brush thing in there too.

It's just me, I wouldn't have an AR with a collapsible stock or one with less than a 20" barrel. CQB for me involves my Beretta 9mm.

Just a personal choice, no troll baiting intended.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
I've shot people in close quarters with the 9mm and 5.56mm. Out of the 2 the 9mm was less than impressive unless fired from an MP5 in short bursts, out of a handgun (either the Beretta M9 or Sig226) it was not effective at neutralizing the threat fast enough (mostly due to the ball ammo we had to use).

The muzzle velocity alone from the rifle had a profound effect on people.

Reactions: hardcore

·
Joshua 24:14-15
980 Posts
For me the answer comes from shooting style, intended use, and possibly the size of the shooter.

The collapsible is tremendously more handy for me. I can adjust it according to the gear I am, or am not, wearing. If I were shooting from an olympic style position the fixed stock would be fine. My reality is that I move and shoot and my shoulders are more squared up and that calls for a much shorter stock. The collapsible also simplifies the use for other shooters like my wife and children and friends (who are not all the same size).

As far as the butt-stroke issue, I guess it's all relative. For me it is much more important to be able to use the firearm in the most effective manner, than it is to be able to be ready to butt-stroke someone. I'm not dismissing that as an option, but am saying that in my reality the fit and function of the collapsible stock outweighs the need to butt-stroke someone.

·
Banned
349 Posts
i was trying to make one of my ar's, a "a-hole to bellybutton close", cqb carbine". with the solid stock for butt stroking and the bayonet for thrusting and slashing.

rethinking, i will just go to my pistol, then knife........then brass knuckles.......then hand to hand.
the collapsable stock is gunna stay on.

really, my 590a1 is my "a-hole to belly button close" go to gun anyways.

thanks guys

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
It seems you guys are gearing up for entry tactics. Where do you plan entering. Are you gaining ground by invaision? Close combat in your own BOL? if so you failed in your security setup to the point of being overrun.

What gives?

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
It should be not of your concern for what people are gearing up. Period.

A collapsible stock brings advantages, to adjust the length of pull especially when wearing a vest. it also comes handy if you have tight spaces you want to maneuver in, without sacrificing the butt stock at all (e.g. this you do with an under-folder or side-folder in order to "gain" some less length).

For a non-SBR I found the A2 stock comfortable, even in prone position. But that is for me. Others may have other experiences.

There are nor general rules, one has to test what suits best and then apply this.

It is not just about hardware (quality hardware is good), one should also train with what he has and then make adjustments to training. Not everyone is able and buy everything "perfectly suitable". So one has to adjust...

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
I like the A2 stock, because I can get a better cheek weld. My recreational shooting is more traditional marksmanship these days. The Collapsible stock on the Carbine is great for smaller statured people, I can adjust it so my 7 yr old can run it and he loves it. For the record I have a standard rifle and a carbine.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
It seems you guys are gearing up for entry tactics. Where do you plan entering. Are you gaining ground by invaision? Close combat in your own BOL? if so you failed in your security setup to the point of being overrun.

What gives?

Not necessarily gearing up for entry, but I am trained in cqb and have extensive experience in urban combat. My main thing with compactness is for moving in the house if need be, I can pie door ways smoother, transition between targets faster and move done hallways a lot easier with a compact carbine than I can with a full size rifle.

Ideally I'd own a select MP5 as an HD weapon if I could get one for less than an arm and leg. The semi auto HK94 just doesn't do it for me.
The MP5 is probably my second favorite gun, next to the M4.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts