Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im told this is one of the best knives for survival wilderness period. Does anyone here own one? Would I be better off getting several other knives instead of this one?

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
Fallkniven from what I hear is a good company, however I would never buy one of their products. A laminated steel in my opinion is utter and complete junk. A blade should be made of carbon steel. A -solid- piece of carbon steel. (In my opinion of course...) The bladeshape and whatnot look to be adequite and possibly quite usefull in the outdoors. IMHO a knife should be 4-6 inches in length accompanied with a saw and an axe. A One tool knife does not work well at all. Knives are also limited in chopping and become ruined very easilly through inproper handling.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have had good experiences with laminated steel knives and would not hesitate to buy another one. I prefer the fallkniven S1 but all of their knives are well made and will outlast you. The only gripe I have ever heard is people complaing the the black coated blades lose some of the finish through use. Even my beckers did this so I do not see that as a big deal.

I agree about the 4-6" blade and the axe and saw!

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
I have an A2 (and a few other Fallkinven knives); it's a great blade design with robust construction...the only thing I'd like is a new sheath (kydex). Laminated steel has some critics, but I've never had an issue with Fallkniven. For most large knives (6+ inches), I would prefer a much higher carbon steel (A2, O1, 1095, 1065, etc), but I found that good heat treating can really bring out the best in some stainless steels (D2, VG10, AUS8, ATS34, 154CM, S30V, etc.). Carbon steel still has the edge (pun intended) in several areas, but a good designed stainless steel with quality heat treating is more than enough for most hard users.

ROCK6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts