Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Asphalt Survivalist
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI again,

I have been reading many post and suggestions. Thanks. I would like to offer the following suggestion.

There are many 1970's camper and motorhomes that people just want gone or will sell for scrap. I bought a 1976 miniwinnie for 100.00. It leaked, needed battery, smoked like a chimmney and looked terrrible but I bought it for the propane/electric fridge with no electronics, the small propane stove and oven, the electrical system, 12 volt inverter and battery charger and other goodies including 30 gallon water tank and two large propane tanks. I striped it of all of the good stuff and then sold it to the junk yard for scrap. The 3.5kw generator just needed brushes.

I have all the stuff I need for a bugout location or to convert my block garage into a semi-hunker down shelter.

I am looking at another 1976 24 footer right now. Yes it gets 8 miles a gallon and looks terrible but everything works. It needs tires and TLC. but what a bugout vehicle it would make. I find most of these campers are ones no one wants and yet only have 35K-50K miles on them. They rot in place.

these are gold mines for a person preparing on a budget. A big plus is the fridges work on gas without power including 12V. They use gas and a thermocouple. New ones require 12V. these just need gas and a flame.

Think about for a minute and look around. They are everywere and no one really wants them. What a great use of older technology to start preparing for a really bad day.

Just my 2 cents and thanks again for great ideas.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Also think about checking out yard sales you can find a lot of prep stuff cheap.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I just bought a 89 holiday rambler 28 footer in perfect condition for 5000. The blue book is around 12k. I'm amazed how cheap you can pick these things up nowadays. Not only is it a bug out vehicle, but its also a home for the four of us and our dog, and its always ready to go. No bug out bag needed. Just put in the key and drive away.

·
Here's a man who stood up
640 Posts
Nice one Folly, Just when I think I've seen and heard it all....

Great idea canabalizing old motor homes.

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know lots of folks are landlocked so the motorhome canibilization is valid, but here on the coast I think going to sea is a better option. There are literally thousands of old houseboats that are in the same repair or disrepair condition as the old motorhomes. With some TLC they will make a great coastal and inland waterway bug out vehicle. If you can get on the water you can literally feed yourself and have excesses. Fresh veggies of course require putting in and treking around terra firma a bit, but the fish, gator and even Manitee are some fine eatin. Manatee burgers medium rare please !

I see the advantage of houseboating or anykind of boating it is that there wont be 300 million other folks competing for your resources. I have always liked the idea that when everyone ese heads West I head East. Just my life philosophy and its worked for 60+ years so far.

Used Pontoon boats are dirt cheep or giveaways as well. Good pontoons and rotted wood. fix the deck and pull a small camping trailer on board and you have a ready made yacht. Get a large one or a ocean going barge and roll a whole motorhome right on it. Now your amphibious.

Scotty

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I was thinking of a 60 foot motor sailer myself. The reason is that it is big enough to sail the world's oceans, but i think with the right set up, I could sail her myself.

My apartment is 56 feet, so moving onto a boat of that size will actually give me more room, due to the fact that I would now have the upper deck space as well.

Once set up, if SHTF here, I would sail to Central America, or anyone of the Island vacation spots, enjoy a nice vacation and wait it out. There are plenty of small islands where you can forage for edibles, and hunt as well. The less inhabited islands may not be good for people to settle, but would still supply fruits and other veggies.

I also know of at least one Island that has people on it ONLY for tourism. There are no natives even. If a global SHTF occurred, it would be deserted I am sure.

Now, I just need to find a good .50 cal and some cannons to mount on my deck Arrgggghhhh Abast E maties, I be A Pirate!!

·
96 Posts
Great ideas on this post

·
Registered
72 Posts
What a great idea. One could buy one of these cheap, and set it up in the woods for a quickie shelter while you work on a more permanent one. Good post!

·
Registered
72 Posts
MANATEE BURGERS?? Gross!!! Good post otherwise. Lot's there about taking to the "high seas" when things go south. What about using said houseboats on inland rivers and lakes as a shelter? Seems like it's gotta be safer than staying on land with the zombies, right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just have to say these are some great ideas. I am behind on the preps as I have just started the last six months. However, my wife is finally on board due to the recent events in the news. She may actually be more gung ho than me, but in different areas. I will be scanning auto mags and garage sales more heavily. Thanks again everyone!

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
Old Rv's that have blown motors and need work are great to buy cheap or get for free, and park them on your property for guests to stay in.lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
Used RVs are excellent buys. Most folks buy them and never use them. We bought a 2001--it had 5000 miles on it. The outside was in bad shape from being parked outside for years, but the engine bay and interior were like new. In this market, people have a tough time selling them. Just don't spend too much on one--start on the low end, and only move up if you use them in actual fact. I will say this--when a hurricane rolled into town, we rolled out beforehand. And when we came back and there wasn't any power for more than a week--we had a generator, fridge, A/C, stove, lights--the only limit being we had to judicious with the gas because you couldn't get any more (there wasn't electricity to run the pumps or ATMs).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I just checked craigslist and only 1 showed up less than $5000.00 and it looked like they had run it into a large tree and still wanted $500.00 for it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One more point: RV fridges and air conditioners use heat to work.

The fridges require an exhaust pipe for burning the propane. You couldn't use it without proper ventilation. Same thing with RV furnaces and water heaters.

While electric, the RV A/C units also need to be hosted outside to dissipate heat.

There's a great book on repairing RV systems--I'll try to find the name and post it here once I find it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Stupid me, I wasn't thinking that it is hunting season around here and everything larger than an outhouse is being bought up by the hunters to go on their lease. Have to look when season is out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
no one knows i am into survival..

people just think I am into camping.. or buying camping gear and gadgets... :)

great way to disguise your preps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts