Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this video, to test my day pack. I did it in a hurry, and I left a lot out.

Most of my real gear is in my bug out bag, but this is the pack I keep in my truck.

After the fact, you always realize what you couldn't do with out, but sadly you don't have.

Here is what I learned.

1) better gloves. My fingers were frozen.
2) long johns, or coveralls are important, but I think I was ok.
3) emergency blanket. I haven't tried these yet, however, if I have to stop, I would freeze. In fact, as long as I was moving I was ok.
4) 550 Cord.
5) large knife with saw
6) water filter
7) tarp
8) Bible
9) better cloths.
10) Map & compass. Which I have in my truck, I simply forgot to put them in my pack. Stupid me.
11) mess kit

I know how goofy I looked. However, I was purposefully testing what I kept in my truck, as I forgot what I had in it.

One of my mistakes, and things I learned, is that you can't steal items from one pack, to put in another, just to keep from buying things twice.

Constructive Criticism please. I don't need anyone telling me how stupid I look. Or how I can't speak, I already know. LOL It was COLD. I walked about 4 miles, then on the way back the snow really started falling. Fun times. :)

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
After the fact, you always realize what you couldn't do with out, but sadly you don't have.

Here is what I learned.

4) 550 Cord.
Why? Why couldn't you do without it? I'm serious, I've been seeing this alot recently and I really want to know why you can't do without it. What did you run into that needed paracord?

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Nice vid.......interesting, you say you'll keep the pack as light as you can........I agree...alot of folks think they'll pack 60-100lbs and take off into the woods like that......won't happen, they'll be ditching stuff ASAP.......IMO, plan your pack, know what works and keep it lite..speaking of light, do you trust those keychain lites?...Also, I carry a roll of braided stringline, alot smaller than 550 and works just as good...btw, I's kinda hopin' you'd've went across the creek.

·
Registered
33,572 Posts
Crutch...myself and DW watched your video, we want your autograph!!

It was awesome, very good job man! WATCH OUT KEV

thanks for doing this and maybe helping a few people:thumb:

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Why? Why couldn't you do without it? I'm serious, I've been seeing this alot recently and I really want to know why you can't do without it. What did you run into that needed paracord?
Uhh, he was proposing a SHTF scenario......btw, lashing a tarp into a lean to, lashing a natural lean to and thatching, lashing a bed to get off the ground, snares, trot lines, netting, splint, hanging food, lashing a tripod for cooking or a teepee( with tarp), etc.

·
Registered
33,572 Posts
corn...he was just doing it to demonstrate how and what to take

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it came time to sit down, I dug out a spot and used my day pack as a seat.

You didn't see it in the video, but the snow and ice really picked up on the way back. The wind started up really bad, and I found a nice spot at the base of a hill.

If I had a tarp and para cord, I could have made a make shift tent or shelter for me to wait out the flurry.

Reactions: OhioMan

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Well,after I got over how goofy you looked........(JUST KIDDING,bro !! :D:)..you got me realizing that I haven't been hitting the local wilderness like I used to. Work,age,gravity all conspiring to return us to dust.;)
Anyway,considering we're talking about a get-home-bag, I'd say you're reasonably well eqipped. The tarp you suggested,though, is bulky. I'd think a cheap PVC poncho would do the job adequately for a limited time.Cheap,light, low volume.
One more thing I'd suggest, something I keep in the back-pack i carry on the road every day, is an extra pair of clean socks. You know, if the feet go, the rest follows. I keep them in a zip-lock freezer bag, so even if I get drenched, the socks are still dry.
Another thing. I didn't see flashlight on the list. A small AA LED with a set of extra batteries is worth it's weight in gold. Those little Gerber Infinity Ultra's are great little lights: smal and light weight, not expensive, water resistant,only use a single AA, and are famous for long run times.
Now git yer butt home, can't you see it's snowing outside ? :thumb:

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice vid.......interesting, you say you'll keep the pack as light as you can........I agree...alot of folks think they'll pack 60-100lbs and take off into the woods like that......won't happen, they'll be ditching stuff ASAP.......IMO, plan your pack, know what works and keep it lite..speaking of light, do you trust those keychain lites?...Also, I carry a roll of braided stringline, alot smaller than 550 and works just as good...btw, I's kinda hopin' you'd've went across the creek.
The key chain lights are nice, because they weight and cost very little. I had about 5 lights on me. I am a light nut.

The best one, is the one on my rifle. Its led, but bright and reliable.

Reactions: letsgetreal

·
You looking at me!
4,027 Posts
Ok good video

my thoughts are.......

1/ you remembered an AK 47 and a pistol but forgot the basic map and compass?
2/ Why arent you carrying/wearing a beanie/watch cap type hat its winter.
3/ Same with gloves, once you lose motor function in your hands youll be screwed.
4/ Flashlight/headlight?
5/ Once you start hiking in those boots youll soon get blisters, pack some band aids to put on before you start hiking off.

All I can think of for now but you are so right about getting out there and testing what you have!

Great Job

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
The key chain lights are nice, because they weight and cost very little. I had about 5 lights on me. I am a light nut.

The best one, is the one on my rifle. Its led, but bright and reliable.
I know, I carry one too, but mainly to see the lock for my keys.....if you're a lite nut, you got it covered.....btw, don't worry about the boots, we wear those every day around the farm( keeps from dragging crap into the house).

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok good video

my thoughts are.......

1/ you remembered an AK 47 and a pistol but forgot the basic map and compass?
2/ Why arent you carrying/wearing a beanie/watch cap type hat its winter.
3/ Same with gloves, once you lose motor function in your hands youll be screwed.
4/ Flashlight/headlight?
5/ Once you start hiking in those boots youll soon get blisters, pack some band aids to put on before you start hiking off.

All I can think of for now but you are so right about getting out there and testing what you have!

Great Job
In order:

1) you remembered an AK 47 and a pistol but forgot the basic map and compass?
Yup. Big mistake. That is what happens when you take your map OUT of your bag, then you don't return it. I assumed it was in the bag.

2) Why arent you carrying/wearing a beanie/watch cap type hat its winter.
Wasn't in my truck. It would be cheating to run in and grab it.

3)Same with gloves, once you lose motor function in your hands youll be screwed.

Your absolutely right man. I thought my gloves would be ok. They were not. A problem I will soon fix. If you guys know of any good gloves, I am all ears.

4) Flashlight/headlight?
Never thought about a headlight. Sounds like a good idea. I did have about 5 other flashlights though.

5) Once you start hiking in those boots youll soon get blisters, pack some band aids to put on before you start hiking off.

They did ok I think. I had really good socks on. I also had already put really good shoe pads in them. Those gell ones.

Reactions: BOBtheBUTCHER

·
Registered
381 Posts
Uhh, he was proposing a SHTF scenario......btw, lashing a tarp into a lean to, lashing a natural lean to and thatching, lashing a bed to get off the ground, snares, trot lines, netting, splint, hanging food, lashing a tripod for cooking or a teepee( with tarp), etc.

Exactly. It really can't see why you wouldn't want paracord in your pack and why someone would recommend not having it. I use it every time Im camping in the woods overnight. If you have bears in your region you better be hanging your food and trash away from camp in a tree. Hang a tarp if its raining or make emergency shelter. And you never know, you could break your arm or leg out in the woods and could use the cord to make a splint.

BTW Crutch get yourself some emergency blankets pronto. They have personally saved me from hypothermia on one occasion and other times as an addition to my normal sleeping gear allowed me to sleep outside in 0 Degree weather comfortably without a tent.

·
Currently Learning...
80 Posts
very nice vid! and i'd take functionality over looking 'goofy' or 'stupid' anyday. thanks for the reminder that i need to get out there and constantly check my bags and their contents.

·
Survivor
233 Posts
Hey Crutch, Great Video, Inspired me to do the same, just to see the flaws with my kit and my set up, better to know now whilst I have a chance to fix it ather than finding out when I do need it.

A suggestion, you mentioned that it was a 24 hour kit, if so take out the food, it will make your pack lighter, Also I may have missed it but I didn't see anything to boil water in. In weather like that a hot brew, lifts moral and helps prevent Hypothermia

Definitly go with a small tarp, perhaps and Army Issue Poncho, then you have a waterproof/windproof covering that can be converted into a shelter..

And a space blanket, they can do both of these at a push and they can also be used for signalling

Anyhow nice job and thanks for the inspiration...

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Crutch, Great Video, Inspired me to do the same, just to see the flaws with my kit and my set up, better to know now whilst I have a chance to fix it ather than finding out when I do need it.

A suggestion, you mentioned that it was a 24 hour kit, if so take out the food, it will make your pack lighter, Also I may have missed it but I didn't see anything to boil water in. In weather like that a hot brew, lifts moral and helps prevent Hypothermia

Definitly go with a small tarp, perhaps and Army Issue Poncho, then you have a waterproof/windproof covering that can be converted into a shelter..

And a space blanket, they can do both of these at a push and they can also be used for signalling

Anyhow nice job and thanks for the inspiration...
Post a video man. Forewarning, if you use Youtube, they drop the quality of your video in half.

We should be like our Government. Never let a good disaster go to waist.

I have one decent mess kit. I now know, I need another.

I really like the poncho idea. It wouldn't take up space or add real weight, so I will get one.

Thanks man!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.