Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I run hounds on predators but I don't kill at random usually unless the land owner wants them thinned out. And then I usually have the landowners children and or grandchildren with me so they can experience something new and I let them do all the shooting. I'm pretty selective on my harvest protocols when I hunt by myself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Fact, male bear eat bear Cubs.
one of the reasons the sow is so protective of her Cubs.
Bear that predominantly eat fish taste poorly, and those that eat roots and berries and grains, taste more to our liking , likely because we raise much of our cattle and other live stock on grains.
I don’t feel bad for the bear, much of the time by that age many of their teeth are gone, likely to have tooth decay and likely to have severe headaches.
Grizzly bears not so much brown bears kill about 45% of the Moose calves in Alaska every year.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If they stay out of my garden , the barn and chicken coop. We'll get along if not we're going to have a problem.
Might be late by then. But I hear you. Good example is bears. They haven't been in the coop but on our 10 acres. Close enough to qualify for ground bear meat and stew. Mixed with deer it's beer stew.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
B&C World's Record - Alaska Brown Bear | Boone and Crockett Club (boone-crockett.org)

I guided on Kodiak for many decades. Including Karluk Lake and Frazer Lake.
Interesting.
Seems we've come to an impasse.
I've seen the Bella Twin bear mentioned as a world record for the time in many articles (in fact this one says the record was confirmed), but this is the first time I've heard about the Boone & Crockett bear you alluded to.
Don't know what to tell you.
Might be a case of two kills that were unknown to each other.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nut sure why people hate on the trophy hunting, as long as fair chase is involved. Is a small bear any more deserving of being killed by a hunter? Why does it always seem like there's this underlying moral perspective where you should only hunt because you've got 3 small children at home and it's critical that you fill the freezer? Animals die from all sorts of causes, so it would seem to me to be more considerate to take the ones who have lived a long life before they suffer a lengthy death from cold or starvation. Trophy hunting sometimes seems to be the only activity where guys get shamed for trying to make the most of the work and money they put into it. We are a competitive species and have been trying to take a bigger animal than our friends for as long as we've been hunting them.

That's an awesome bear. It would be an overwhelming privilege to take that beast.
Dont hate on trophy hunting, just a shame that magnificient animal who fought the winter, wolves, bears, was killed by some slack a$$ dentist from NY.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Interesting.
Seems we've come to an impasse.
I've seen the Bella Twin bear mentioned as a world record for the time in many articles (in fact this one says the record was confirmed), but this is the first time I've heard about the Boone & Crockett bear you alluded to.
Don't know what to tell you.
Might be a case of two kills that were unknown to each other.
It is more complex. And that complexity is brought forth via deeply flawed species classification.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So you're saying there's a "Brown Bear Record" and a "Grizzly Record"?
YES, Per Boon & Crockett. However, this was born out of the "FLAWED" belief they were two distinct species. Grizzly Bear is not a species, nor even a "SUB-SPECIES".

21 - 40 of 41 Posts