Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
"eleutheromaniac"
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW that is a monster, can you re-post the picture? Somehow I removed one picture but both vanished??
I kind'a figured that would happen. I was hoping you had some super magic system. Happy to reload the photo.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't fear bears that size. They can't do anything to me. I look at that photo and say 'hah, you ain't nothin.'

I have a .45-70 all picked out at the local gun store.

I'll never buy it, however. There are also flights on Alaska Airlines that I will never book, either.

My next trip is to the beach in Maine.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
OK.......I am curious about your post. I request (please) that you post "any" compelling evidence, to support your assertion.
Speaking from personal experience. Bears that predominantly consume fish are typically not good to eat. The exception. Is early spring before they start fattening up.

I've even taken deer that were not good due to poor diet. It's all about what the critter has been eating.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...IQFnoECDwQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2AOGOzMwEiLoiLh7AuKI7k

from the article.

you read hunting forums from Alaska where grizzlies are regularly hunted, it seems every other respondent says coastal brown bears (grizzlies inhabiting the state’s coastal regions) smell and taste so foul that they’re inedible, or that they taste as good or better than black bears. Most agree, however, that grizzlies in Alaska’s interior taste much like black bears.

So opinions do vary. Me personally? I won't touch a fishing bear. Not worth killing it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Nut sure why people hate on the trophy hunting, as long as fair chase is involved. Is a small bear any more deserving of being killed by a hunter? Why does it always seem like there's this underlying moral perspective where you should only hunt because you've got 3 small children at home and it's critical that you fill the freezer? Animals die from all sorts of causes, so it would seem to me to be more considerate to take the ones who have lived a long life before they suffer a lengthy death from cold or starvation. Trophy hunting sometimes seems to be the only activity where guys get shamed for trying to make the most of the work and money they put into it. We are a competitive species and have been trying to take a bigger animal than our friends for as long as we've been hunting them.

That's an awesome bear. It would be an overwhelming privilege to take that beast.

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
Fact, male bear eat bear Cubs.
one of the reasons the sow is so protective of her Cubs.
Bear that predominantly eat fish taste poorly, and those that eat roots and berries and grains, taste more to our liking , likely because we raise much of our cattle and other live stock on grains.
I don’t feel bad for the bear, much of the time by that age many of their teeth are gone, likely to have tooth decay and likely to have severe headaches.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I'm not a hunter but I have no problem with people hunting. In fact, I love it when friends drop off some deer or elk. Hunters and fishers, through their license fees contribute billions towards forest management and conservation. Hunting licenses are issued to manage herd overpopulation and health. Death from starvation due to the lack of herd thinning would be a more cruel way to go than legal hunting.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Good points about older boars being problematic and all. I get that some critters just gotta go, happens all the time in Africa with male elephants and rhinos in particular.

If that was the case with the bear then it is what it is. What I said about fishing bears I'll stand by though. I've hunted all my life, and all over the world in fact. I have no problem with hunting but do take some issue with trophy hunting unless there's a justification to taking the animal for conservation purposes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts