Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a remarkable film shot one week before the great San Francisco earth quake of 1906. It is a remarkable film.

The (I think unstaged) scene is of people going about their daily lives, not aware that some of them would most likely be killed in a week in an earth quake, and most all of their lives would be forever changed. Please note the buildings on Market Street. Most of those building would be heavily damaged, and many totally destroyed in the quake.

For me, this film reaffirms why I prep.

I hope you enjoy this extraordinary film!

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is my understanding that a camera crew built a platform or mounted the camera to the front of a trolley car to make the film. This would have drawn lots of attention from those near the trolley as I think it would have taken at least one person to crank the camera as the film was shot, and possibly two people to operate the camera.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This footage has been recreated with a split-screen showing the same route in modern times. To me the most mind-boggling thing is seeing people going about their daily lives more than a hundred years ago. Did you notice the guys at about 3:05 trying to flag down the trolley, unaware that it's on a filming mission? Life was plenty hectic back then, too, with no traffic control. People were constantly dodging motored and horse-drawn vehicles. And the Embarcadero Tower, down at the end of Market - forget about the earthquake. A half-century later it was pulled down by a giant octopus in "It Came From Beneath the Sea." apparently they rebuilt it, though, because I was there just last year.

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have watched this film several times. I particularly like the two "night-stick" policemen, one at the beginning and one near the end. Everyone-men, women, children have hats on.
This is a rare glimpse into the transition period between horses and gasoline powered vehicles. Apparently no driving rules existed!

San Fransisco at that time had an approximate population of 400,000. One week later, 700-3,000 of them were dead from the quake and resulting fires (nobody knows for sure how many died), 225,000 were homeless, and 500 city blocks were destroyed.

Perfect example of TSHTF

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
The only thing missing was some idiot on a cell phone, or texting. Nothing has changed since 1906, traffic is still a mess.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
notice the same cars keep appearing - there weren't a whole lot of 'em in 1906 so the filmmaker has them turn around and come back into the frame

·
Cranky Old Guy
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
notice the same cars keep appearing - there weren't a whole lot of 'em in 1906 so the filmmaker has them turn around and come back into the frame
Yes I think you are right. Some of the cars make u-turns and appear to come back in front of the trolley. One with license #4887 (?) appears several times.

Per I think 60 Minutes that did a piece on this film, they have identified some of the car drivers/owners from license tag records.

I am not sure if the cars driving by several times was staged or was just people wanting to be in the film. Guess we may never know for sure.

Good catch on the same autos coming by several times!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts