Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Gang,
Been working on my bag(s) for a while now and just got finished with the bag I put together for my parents. I wanted something they could throw in the camper shell when they went on a road trip. Something they could use if they got stranded, lost or what have you. I hope this will help someone get started...

1. 6" Steel rope wrapped knife
2. 1.5' Heavy Aluminum Foil
3. Cotton/ Vaseline (I made petroleum jelly sandwiches with cotton rounds)
4. 1/2 pencil with 10' Duct tape
5. Bandana with two 33 gallon garbage bags, water treatment/ neutralizer tabs and two rubber bands
6. Whistle with lanyard, compass and thermometer
7. Magnesium with striker
8. 12 LED Flashlight 3 AAA's
9. Bic Lighter
10. Multi Tool Pliers, knife, can opener, small led
11. 2" Folder
12. First Aid kit, with added bandages, meds and folding scissors

1. Gerber Folding Saw
2. Dynamo Flashlight (Wind up)
3. Emergency Blanket
4. Emergency Poncho
5. Insect repellent coils
6. Camp Stove (24, 6 minute tabs)
7. 2 Qt. Canteen
8. Water Filter Straw
9. Nail Clippers

A. Will show and list separately

1. Ramen Noodles
2. Grub Gear (Knife, fork, spoon)
3. 7' X 9' Tarp
4. Datrex Bars (3 day supply)
5. Entrenching Tool
6. 20 Ct. Field towels
7. T.P.
8. 100' Para Cord
9. Coleman Fish Pen (Pocket fisherman- rod, reel, line, hooks, weights, etc.)
10. LED Light (Retractable cord)
11. Knit Cap
12. Knit Gloves

1. Comb
2. Razor
3. Deodorant
4. Insect repellent
5. Blistex
6. Sun Screen
7. Soap
8. Shampoo
9. Toothpaste
10. Toothbrush

1. Pocket Tissues
2. Large Bouillon Cubes ( 2 cups yield per)
3. Creamer
4. Coffee
5. Tea Bags
6. Lemon and Orange Drink Mix
7. Sugar
8. Raisins 1oz
9. Peanuts 1oz

That is it for now. I still have to add a Mirror, something for sleeping (bags, blankets, I dunno), Sierra type cups, extra batteries, 3X5 cards, zip ties, radio, maybe buff up the meds and an atlas. Pops B-day is Friday so he gets it a lil early.

Anyway, critique away, remember it is budget minded, and meant to be a basic bug out with some creature comforts or a roadside emergency supplement. Not quite sure... a hybrid if you will.

I'll post again when I get my main bag done, complete with vendor and price info. Also check out my checklist, it is a nice printable list. Cheers

My Bug Out Bag Check List

·
www.GuerillaTactical.com
1,446 Posts
Its a good start. Take the stuff out of the wrappers though and it will pack nicely. Remember, the places NOT to skimp with cheap chinese things are the 1. knife 2. Fire Kit 3. water storage (SS Bottles are the in thing because you can boil water in them). In survival school we were "Kidnapped in the middle of the night, blind folded and walked several miles (nuts huh?) into the woods. All we had on us were our knives, fire kits, space blankets and water bottles along with a jacket and the clothes on our backs. We had to stay the night (makeshift shelter in the dark), the whole next day (set up camp, set traps etc.) followed by that night and return the following day after inspection. We did just fine with those QUALITY items. Anything else would have been a luxury.

PS Never have I been so cold (was higher alt.)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Great job, in looking out for them!
I'd throw in some beef jerky, energy bars, some full water bottles, maybe a surplus canteen with metal cup bottom and some real toilet paper.

p.s. That lil greenflashlight..Change the batteries quick.. I had 2 of those, the cheap batteries leaked and ruined both of them in less than 6months(Bought em, stuck em in glove box, and didn't use for for couple months, actually needed light and neither one worked)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE:

Thanks for the replies Fellas : )

Its a good start. Take the stuff out of the wrappers though and it will pack nicely. Remember, the places NOT to skimp with cheap chinese things are the 1. knife 2. Fire Kit 3. water storage (SS Bottles are the in thing because you can boil water in them). In survival school we were "Kidnapped in the middle of the night...

PS Never have I been so cold (was higher alt.)
I left the things wrapped on purpose. #1 it's a gift, I wanted him to have the benefit of instructions and unwrapping. I did think about it, but thought it more like more like giving used gear.
You are absolutely right. The items are cheaper, I know. I needed to fill slots, a something is better than nothing scenario... plus I'm broke :D: I'll let him know he could / should upgrade.

Great job, in looking out for them!
I'd throw in some beef jerky, energy bars, some full water bottles, maybe a surplus canteen with metal cup bottom and some real toilet paper.

p.s. That lil greenflashlight..Change the batteries quick.. I had 2 of those, the cheap batteries leaked and ruined both ....)
T.P. Taken care of, full water bottles is a great idea for this bag...total ease of use. I'm still on the lookout for some good Sierra type (SS) cups for cooking and drinking, they will go in when I get em.
Oh man, that stinks about your batteries, so will do asap. I keep a small piece of cardboard under the spring, to disable continuity. Hopefully they won't leak when I replace em.

I think you need a much bigger knife or an axe.
Agreed, I have a lil camping axe... I think I'll throw that in too. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
re:

That is great Rhino, good for you. We have to take care of those that took/ take care of us.

I'm thinking about some sealed 2 liter drinking water bottles... maybe a couple of those added would be better than the 2 qt canteen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Re:

Hey Sluggy,
The small folder is a cheapy 2" Wilcor brand, bought from Campingsurvival.com The sheathed knife if also, get ready for it... a cheapy I bought from ebay. A guy sells a lot of these Chinese blades. I bought a lot of 10 for , I think, $27 delivered. They seem fine, and really just a tool, not meant to be a line of defense. I doctored up the sheaths and took the cheap rope off the one in my bag and replaced it with para cord.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE:

Hey Swamp,
The duffel is pretty nice and big. Zippered pocket up front, carry handles on the top and both ends. Backpack straps that are unzipped from the bottom, and field tested to 100 lbs. I purchased it at USCav.com...

#31659 1 Code Alpha™ Giant Duffel Bag ACUPAT $22.99

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.