Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part, I live in a normal suburban middle class neighborhood. In my survival fantasy I envision most of my neighbors being unprepared for extremely tough times and somehow disappearing. Losing homes, moving in with far away relatives, etc. Essentially, silently leaving me to garden, bake bread and sew my own clothing.

Then I wake up and realize:

I have two homes in my immediate vicinity that house families with histories of violence and one or more of the members are, in my opinion, morally corrupt and dangerous at baseline. Both families own guns--one for hunting, the other a retired ballistics instructor for NYPD. Both homes have had or made trouble with other neighbors using their guns to threaten or make a point.

I'm almost positive the ex-cop dabbles in survival. He has the only generator in the neighborhood. On occasion I've noticed him bringing large 5 gallon gas cans into his garage and unpacking large amounts of groceries from his trunk.

My fear is that in a SHTF scenario, one or more of these people will use it as an excuse to unlease pent up agression and violence on those around them, right some perceived wrongs done to them and just be happy to finally use their guns for someting other than hunting (or work).

So here I sit, with one house 200 yards away with a clear shot to the north side of my house, the other less than 300 yards away from my front door. I wonder, with all the people in the world that will get nervous and hungry and eventually violent, I have two near me that I KNOW will go feral immediately.

Unfortunately, moving is not an option.

Advice, opinions?

·
Registered
175 Posts
if the shtf kill them

there i said it shocking really, but the truth post shtf it will be kill or be killed you know who your most dangerous people will be you will have to deal with them or they will deal with you without a second thought. hopefully you have not been identified as a threat or they will come for you. oh and make sure you carefully grab all the ex-cops supplies waste not want not unknow

do unto others as they would unto you but do it first

·
Registered
498 Posts
if the shtf kill them
Eep!

I live in a VERY isolated part of the country. ********, white trash and
peckerwoods everywhere. Probably 2 out of 5 have "violent histories"
and all of them have guns and are probably wankers in someones point
of view. Killing everyone that you think is a potential threat isn't an
option, mainly because there's a good chance the people would kill
you first.

In my opinion you have few options: Ignore them and hope nothing
happens, prepare to leave for a safer place if the SHTF, OR make
friends with them. Especially the ex-cop, he seems like your most
likely ally. IF he's into survival like you say he's probably already
got your number and has formed an opinion. He too probably
has a good idea who the trouble makers in the neighborhood are.

LOL...take him a fruit basket...a case of beer...whatever. You have
things in common, build on that. If for no other reason than following
the old adage of "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".
Worst case, if you make a peace with him you can get a better idea
of who he really is and how much of a threat to you he could be.

"Hey I noticed you have a generator and I thought I'd get your opinion
on buying one"

I know, it's just me and I'll get flak for it but, I'd rather try to make
an early peace than sit around making a post-EOTWAWKI hit list. Use
your best judgment but if you start counting out all the potentially
dangerous or potentially "crazy" people come trouble you're going to
be very alone.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
JUST 2 out of 5?

·
Looking upward
211 Posts
I agree, make friends with the one you're most worried about being capable of being a threat and surviving. Keep a low profile with the other. If they don't suspect or know you're capable, they'll never think of you to be a means of survival. In their panic they will automatically think of the cop and his stock pile or turn focus on others and looting. If you appear to be a weakling, they'll underestimate you- thus giving you an advantage.

·
Poseur
221 Posts
I agree with DaveyDoes, if you can't move, then your best option is to make "friends" with them. I put that in quotes because it's not like you have to be best buds and it takes shockingly little effort to make people at ease with you. Like said above, ask for information on generators, cars, trucks, whatever and when he eventually rants about his neighborhood riffs, say stuff like "That is something." and "Hmm, what is with people today?" These vague and innocuous statements will give the impression that you're on his side whether you are or not, or just neutral. People WANT to form bonds and assume you're on their side.

I've always been the kind of guy that seeks out the troublemakers, you know, the ones where you get to a new school or new job or new town and everyone points them out and says "That guy/girl is a bad one, stay away." I am drawn to those people for some reason and for the most part, I find I'm better off with the "outsiders" rather than taking up with the popular group or majority. I don't shun the majority, I just make sure I don't automatically shun the outsiders. This has benefited me several times when the outsider I've made friends with or just talked to has supported me in various physical and ideological support. When the guy who everyone has always thought of as "crazy" or a "loner" steps up and supports you, it's almost always an advantage.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The ex-cop sounds more like an asset than a threat.Like others aid,maybe ask his opinion on generators or radios or medical stuff.The most dangerous people will inevitibly be those most dependant on govt. for subsistance.Once that gets cut,they get vicious.Just look what they did during Katrina.The prepared people had preps and boats.The others?Looted stores....

·
Banned
317 Posts
Momo? I already posted about one mule town, here 60% of the people are either on welfare or food stamp and welfare.......there are many meth drugies and many more drunks.

In my immediate area three out of five homes are on drugs or drunks.

And that's why I have a inner fence ten feet from my home going all the way around it and with booby traps in that area........while it will not stop them it will give me time to get in place and get rid of them.

Remember that to get to my inner fence they first must cross my outer fence... like the Mayor of my city told me "If they try to cross your inner fence then get rid of them and will take care of it".

"To be ready is not"... Ponce .........but I sure as hell keep on trying.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Some of my neighbors have records for violence. One of my friendly neighbors beat another man nearly to death with a chair. Another ruptured his buddy's spleen with his bare hands. Thing is, as long as these boys weren't drinking, I'd trust them with my life. They've both helped me out in the past and I wouldn't hesitate to help them out. ******* boys are that way. They can be all ready to fight one minute and sweet as pie and helping an old lady across the street in the next.

I agree with getting to know you neighbor now instead of thinking you can take on the whole world once the rules are gone. You might find that some of these "violent" guys would go out of their way to help a person in distress. During the floods last year the big tough guys made certain that none of the neighbor's houses got broken into. If you had met them on the street, they'd probably scare you, but in reality they are good people. There may be people on this site that would scare you if you didn't know them but once you go t to know them you could work together in a bad situation.

Best of luck on your neighbors. I know I love all of mine and it makes my life so much easier.

Tury

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
No one survives for long alone.

We are a tribal species, it's the reason we survive as a species.

Make alliances with neighbors that are like minded. If the neighbors in question both go postal, you're not going to be able to defend hearth and home alone, you gotta sleep sometime waiting for them to go off...

Organize a neighborhood group to go through CERT training with and then you have others who are prepared on some level and less likely to hit you up for stuff/supplies, and are organized to come to your defense should the need arise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with the posts above... try to get to know the cop a little better. I'm worried about our neighbors too but I'm trying to ally with the new next door neighbors as I feel banning together will be better for us all then adding them to this list with the rest of the neighbors. Use your instincts in this.

·
Registered
127 Posts
yes i agree, make friends.
this does not mean be a sucker, gullable, or share too much. it just means to be friendly, nice and share a smile.

this goes much further than the scope of your topic. most of us have things in our past we're not proud of. i say trust others untill they give you a reason not to. be friendly and nice to everyone and the world will be a better place.

·
Destroyer of Marxism.
875 Posts
Is the cop morally corrupt? Some cops can seem to be abrasive, years of that kind of work gives them a "us against them" mentality. As it was said above, be friendly toward him, and gradually get to know him better before you decide to take an adversarial stance. He may not turn out to be a good buddy, but since he's obviously into self defence, it's best best if he knows you aren't a threat.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
I have to say, i disagree with the above posters suggestions of trying to become friendly with the dodgy cop.

If you have neighbours who have chaotic and possibly dangerous traits then keep your distance. Those kinds of people will just drag you into their arguments and problems, however hard you try you can't get close to people like that and remain neutral.

Remain polite to them, don't give them any cause to actively dislike you, and keep your distance. If SHTF they will have arguments with other percived rivals that will keep them busy. While they are settling grudges with others, you will be safe by keeping your head down, not having to leave your property for supplies which would advertise your unprepared status.

To put it simply, just keep a polite distance, don't try and be friendly or anything else with people your instincts tell you are dubious.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Whatcher? that's what is going on in my area and why I keep away from everyone...

I you do them a favor or invited them to your home one single time you then will have a headache for ever.

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
I you do them a favor or invited them to your home one single time you then will have a headache for ever.
Absolutely right.

No good deed goes unpunished with these types of people. Any contact with them is just going to lead to trouble. You help someone and they suddenly expect things from you, or someone else gets jealous, or your somehow drawn into some feud they have you didn't even know about.

Me and a friend visited a small town, we got chatting to a local in a bar. Later that evening we were accousted by a gang who had some sort of argument with him and assumed that we were now part of it because we had been chatting with him!

It might sound good to be friendly but neutral, in reality it doesn't work that way. The only way to avoid trouble is to avoid the troubling people.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I have three houses right in front of me that either deal drugs or have been in prison for murder.
I have two houses in back of me and those people are constantly drunk and being loud/fighting.

I talk to none of them.

I did however happen upon a neighbor who moved here about a year ago. Our back yards connect. Small talk at first. I already knew he was in the military. Then, he dropped the big one. Started telling me about all the weapons he has in his house and then told me good places in my house to hide weapons where most people don't look. So I'm guessing he also must keep his weapons in those places.
I'm glad I took the initiative to go talk to him. I'll be keeping him in mind if/when the SHTF!

·
Poseur
221 Posts
Well, Jesus people, I thought we were talking about about polite civility to begin with, I wasn't thinking of inviting these people over for a sleepover and scary movies. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere and that's always going to be a judgment call. I don't think anyone is advocating starting small talk with drug dealers, rapists and murderers. It's not like you have to knock on the door with an apple pie in your hand and teddy bear balloons that say "Friendship". A "How's it going?" at the grocery store or gas station should be all you need to gage the situation. If there's a very cold response, fine, leave it at that and you know what you've got. If it's a normal civil response, then fine you can leave it there too. At the very least, if they go crazy, they'll kill the guy who asked how it was going last.

I understand the position of keeping a low profile but in the Art of War, Sun Tzu taught that:

"To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy."

"It is essential to seek out enemy agents who have come to conduct espionage against you and to bribe them to serve you. Give them instructions and care for them. Thus doubled agents are recruited and used."

"Now the reason the enlightened prince and the wise general conquer the enemy whenever they move and their achievements surpass those of ordinary men is foreknowledge."

"All warfare is based on deception."

Bottom line is that it's better to gather information about potential threats than it is to ignore or assume about the threats. Obviously, it's important to be safe and not stupid about it and you have to use judgment. The more information you can gather about a potential threat the better you can prioritize in an emergency situation. That's all I'm saying.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts