Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is gorgeous!!! Truly very impressive...
I love it here. :)

You should see the drive into the village I live in. The snow on the mountain that is the highest and it is surrounded by gree hills and mountains with fog and clouds all around it. Man, it is impressive to say the least.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
I can see why... :) Just one of many places the family and I want to visit some day...

How is the weather this time of year?

I'll bet the Fall/Turn of the Color of Leaves Time is amazing... It is one of the things I miss about the Northern part of the U.S.

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see why... :) Just one of many places the family and I want to visit some day...

How is the weather this time of year?

I'll bet the Fall/Turn of the Color of Leaves Time is amazing... It is one of the things I miss about the Northern part of the U.S.
It is very pretty, but I am not really into leaves or the people who come ot see them lol.

The weather is alright. Its towards the very end of mud season here. We had snow last week sometime. A few inches overnight! lol.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
It is very pretty, but I am not really into leaves or the people who come ot see them lol.

The weather is alright. Its towards the very end of mud season here. We had snow last week sometime. A few inches overnight! lol.
Fair enough... I just remeber as a kid, through my teen years and into my early 20s, going hunting in PA's Northern Tier (mountain country) trekking through what was sometimes light snow and other times a whole lotta snow...

The flatlands of FL are a world apart...

But I wouldn't trade my fishing grounds for anything PA has to offer...

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I am from PA originally and actually moving back in a few weeks. I miss it for sure, but I will probably come back to Vermont pretty quick.

Not a big fisherman anymore. I used to enjoy it, but I find that target practice with a rifle at decent distance is so much more relaxing overall. There is just so much thrill to using a really inferior weapon and trying to push its limits. Hit the mark, move it back. Hit the mark, move it back. I remember doing that for years with a .22 rifle my great grandfather hand made. Didnt even have a trigger!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i looked at Vermont and Maine area for retirement and just could get the idea out of my head about the cost of liveing up there at the time..i like the area up in the mountians but the total overall cost of liveing was a killing factor for me at the time..

now if i could do it all over again i would gone to Vermont or Alasak to retire..

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,544 Posts
i looked at Vermont and Maine area for retirement and just could get the idea out of my head about the cost of liveing up there at the time..i like the area up in the mountians but the total overall cost of liveing was a killing factor for me at the time..

now if i could do it all over again i would gone to Vermont or Alasak to retire..
Really?

I have lived in many places before settling in Maine. We have lived on the East Coast [up in New England, down in Florida, and Virginia]; we have lived in the Southern West Coast, Pacific North West, and in Europe.

In our experiences we have not lived in any area with such a low cost-of-living as Maine has turned out to be.

The state-wide average household income here is like $24k. Two adults and children can be supported on minimum wage incomes.

My pension is enough, in this region to support a family with two children.

Our neighbors are mostly low income workign class, they have children and they are prospering.

I find it very hard to swallow the concept that the cost-of-living here is high. Not when the prices of land is so cheap, and taxes are low.

:)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i had looked at three diff places for land and i was trying to find something that was in my budget range at the time instead of takeing the time and going through the area i was looking at .. i let a agent do the picking for me and i was really not happy with the area along with trying to remember that i will be trying to live with a fixed amout for the rest of my life ..plus she kept trying to guide into areas i did not want to go ..

for i kept asking for land that was not near a lake or river or any typle of body of water .. wooded lot area with the following set up ..

-x-no river or ocean or lake land at least two to five miles away
-x-be able to put in my own spetic system in
-x-be able to put in my own well for fresh water
-x-to be able to go off grid and not have problems with the state and country building people
-x-no areas where there is any hoa type
-x-no subdivision home and lot
-x-1 arce to five acres sized lot
-x-low taxs
-x-at least three miles from a town borders ..
-x-not near any town over 200 people ..
-x-no major city around me ..small town onlys .
-x-not lot of state and county problems with building green earth homes type of building ..
-x-higher areas of land back into the mountains area with good dry land drainage ..no low or swampy lake or river front lands..

she could not meet those ideas there.. she kept trying to take into the places where i did not want to go ..

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Love the pics. Woods and mountains make me happy. I'm so glad I moved up here. My dad grew up in St. Johnsbury, VT. His uncle was the first driver hired for St. Johnsbury Trucking. We had relatives in Barre. I remember going there as a kid. So beautiful. I always wondered if I still have relations there. If anyone comes from there, the last name is Heath.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i did find one place on the border area of next one of the great lakes and it fit my needs perfectly.. i went over made the guy the offer and told my agent to go over and check up on the guy about the offer ..for four months this guy never said i sold the land .or the land is yours ..he would say to my agent is this statement ..iam thinking about it ..after four months your should have thought about selling it for the asking price.. i was willing to give the guy $.5000. grand about the asking price if could seal the day that day and he never made a move to say yea or nea on the deal ..the land is still for sale as far as i can see from the local newpaper ..

even after the second month of trying to get this person to sale the land ..she made the comment that guy was just beening dumb about things..

plus i was running out of time in where to prep the land for the incomeing completely bult home i had comeing ..for the deal in Tn/Ky/Va area border land deal fell through and i was in a mad scamble to find a place back east..

so me allready haveing the land back in northern AZ bought and paid for .. i just rethought my idea about moveing up into the area and started preping the land for the shelter ..

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,544 Posts
i had looked at three diff places for land and i was trying to find something that was in my budget range at the time instead of takeing the time and going through the area i was looking at .. i let a agent do the picking for me and i was really not happy with the area along with trying to remember that i will be trying to live with a fixed amout for the rest of my life ..plus she kept trying to guide into areas i did not want to go ..
I understand.

I view realtors as horse traders. A worn-out mare and they will try to sell it as a 2-yr foal.

It makes for bad business ethics when they get a fee based on how much they can convince a buyer to pay. There is no encouragement for a realtor to find what you really want, instead they try to step you up into a more expensive property.

... for i kept asking for land that was not near a lake or river or any typle of body of water .. wooded lot area with the following set up ..

-x-no river or ocean or lake land at least two to five miles away
-x-be able to put in my own spetic system in
-x-be able to put in my own well for fresh water
-x-to be able to go off grid and not have problems with the state and country building people
-x-no areas where there is any hoa type
-x-no subdivision home and lot
-x-1 arce to five acres sized lot
-x-low taxs
-x-at least three miles from a town borders ..
-x-not near any town over 200 people ..
-x-no major city around me ..small town onlys .
-x-not lot of state and county problems with building green earth homes type of building ..
-x-higher areas of land back into the mountains area with good dry land drainage ..no low or swampy lake or river front lands..

she could not meet those ideas there.. she kept trying to take into the places where i did not want to go ..
One thing to keep in mind, Maine was drawn up on a map and divided into plantations, and townships many years ago. Every inch is inside a township.

Many townships in Maine have never been named, they were given a letter and number map grid designation. R-2, or T-15.

We have townships where the census combines four towns to get 3 people to do the census on. Those 3 people may live 20 miles apart from each other.

But everywhere is technically 'in' a township. It is weird, but it is what they did.

Our town did organize at one time, for like a few decades, but then they realized that being organized they had to pay higher taxes to have a city clerk, inspector, mayor, dog catcher, and what not. So in 1935 they burned the town's charter. Now we are not 'organized', but at least we have a name. :)

Otherwise everything else on your list, is most of Maine.

"no river or ocean or lake land at least two to five miles away" We have lots of rivers and ponds, but it is not hard to get away from them.

"be able to put in my own spetic system in" Yeah

"be able to put in my own well for fresh water" yeah

"to be able to go off grid and not have problems with the state and country building people" yeah

"no areas where there is any hoa type" yeah

"1 arce to five acres sized lot" yeah

"low taxs" Good god yes

"at least three miles from a town borders " see above.

"not near any town over 200 people" yeah

"no major city around me ..small town onlys " yeah

"not lot of state and county problems with building green earth homes type of building" yeah

"higher areas of land back into the mountains area with good dry land drainage ..no low or swampy lake or river front lands.." yeah

Most of Maine, 52% of Maines towns are 'Un-Organized'. They are drawn on a map but have no local government. Very rural.

One office in Augusta handles all building permits, they never go to the site. $75 gets you a building permit, good for 5 years, and on that one permit you can build as many as 100 structures.

So long as you never force anyone from Augusta to find your land and go there, you can build any kind of home you want.

My building permit only wanted to know it's footprint, the outside dimensions.

It could be woodstick, stone, brick, cordwood, or moose turds, they do not care.

I have multiple neighbors who are completely off-grid.

I built my house myself. I hired a contractor for the foundation, and one guy with a crane to help me with the roof, but otherwise my house has been a one person construction. No inspectors have been here.

We see one sheriff deputy who drives through once a week, and one game warden who comes through once a week [he has stopped to ask me about my goats and sheep], but otherwise we do not get hassled here much.

:)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i was running out of time and it was getting down to the wire and i was dealing with a person that i was not really happy with along with trying to close the deal on the guy land ..i had a window that was closeing in a really fast pace and i was to the point i was thinking to myself is worth trying to go somewhere out of the state of Az ..i finaly said no it was not and went to work on the land there..

then.allmost 6 months to the day that i made him the offer for the land and about three months after i made the final offer he called me to tell me that he would sell me the land in late dec time frame and by then i had the tank home in the ground and resupplyed with new supplies along with the land was basic landscapeing of the place along with the basic done to the land and was waiting for the tank area to settle to finish the final landscapeing of the land ..i was on my to eastcoast for thanksgiveing and was spending my first week in apt in new york city and was getting read to go back to ca come first of the year.

when he called me on the first of the dec time frame and told that he would take the offer ..i told to forget about it .. i went off on the guy ...i told that your had waited allmost 6 months before saying anything to me about buying the land and now your calling to let me know that you sell me the land .. bud i told you should have told this about 5 months ago and you would not talking to you like this ..but you wait for allmost 6 months to the date and then you want me to buy ..you can keep the land for i all i care.. ..i told him on the phone that he blew it with the waiting for i need to know withen a few days after makeing the final offer that i made ..he was like ok.. but guy it does not take allmost 6 months to make your mind up to sale two acres of land ..

i know that some people need to think about ..but come on allmost 6 months ..i think he was holding out intill i come up with a big offer and he sale the land ..i stoped trying after the four time of calling the guy to make a offer..

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
for i started the seach for the new homestead in march of 2009 time frame and i had to have the land prep and ready to go by end of sept time frame with everything on site and ready to go for the intstall and the digging of the hole ..

it was like a nightmare dealing with those two at the time ..for i never could get a answer out of the guy ..all he would say i think about and that it .. nothing else ..i just have to think about it ..then when in first week of july i made my last offer to the guy and told he had three days to get back to me for i had reach my deadline with him ..he never called me back and told me no and never returned the phones i made ..so i looked at the land in AZ and said ok it Az it is for retirement ..started to get everything ready for the comeing tank home along with the ordering of supplies for the install ..plus i had to be there for the trucks bring all the new supplies to the place and be off load and put into the home ..it was like a long two months of working on the place at times.

plus the few areas i found i like ..the agent was trying not to show the areas i likes ..and she was pushing me away from them by saying they really do not meet your need ..

in aug i wrote her a check for gas and mileage for her socalled drivien around with at the time and told i was done with her and her company ..i told that i would never use you and your company again....

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those stones belong to someone who isnt me. It is literally right out of my back door, but the stones belong to a rail bridge that is no longer there. It is on the other side of the creek from me. :(

I am still blown away by the first few pictures. The way the clouds are, it looks like the mountains go really high up into the sky. If I was a little better with photoshop, I would be editing them for sure!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.