Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an excerpt, the whole article is at the following link:

http://ohsonline.com/Articles/2009/01/Caught-in-Crossfire.aspx

Under the “general duty” clause of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (OSHA), 29 U.S.C. §§ 651- 678, “[e]ach employer . . . shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees.”1. There is little question that allowing guns at the workplace endangers workers. Workplaces that tolerate guns are five to seven times more likely to suffer homicides than job sites that ban firearms, according to a 2005 study in the American Journal of Public Health.2 Unfortunately, a growing number of states have passed laws requiring employers to allow guns in company-owned parking lots.

As a result of recent legislation, the state of Georgia, for example, provides that “no private or public employer . . . shall condition employment upon any agreement by a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from entering the parking lot and access thereto when the employee’s privately owned motor vehicle contains a firearm that is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within such privately owned motor vehicle, provided that any applicable employees possess a Georgia firearms license.”3

It will be interesting to see if OSHA wins or the states prevail. I know currently we have a policy that forbids firearms in our vehicles on company property.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
(QUOTE) "As a result of recent legislation, the state of Georgia, for example, provides that “no private or public employer . . . shall condition employment upon any agreement by a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from entering the parking lot and access thereto when the employee’s privately owned motor vehicle contains a firearm that is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within such privately owned motor vehicle, provided that any applicable employees possess a Georgia firearms license.”

Well, that's good info to have !! Thanks for the post,dayliterun. :thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is how it typically goes. If you have a right the elites don't like, they simply invent a new right, in this case a "workplace free of gun-related hazards", to superseed it.

That's why I fear the politician that's trying to "help" me far more than any power-mad dictator.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Most employers went ape s**t after 9/11 and now have zero tolerance rules in or on company property. On top of that, at the company I worked at, a women stabbed a man to death inside the plant and on another occassion a man shot his wife and himself in the head out in the parking lot. After that, we were not permitted to even carry pocket knives into the plant I worked at. We also experienced alot of stolen vehicles from our parking lot (despite dozens of security cameras and guards). So I tried to never keep anything of value in my car( i.e. firearms) even if it had been permitted.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here in PA only the state may regulate where a firearm can be carried, with the exception of federal property. It’s in our state constitution. This was to prevent the nightmare scenario of different municipalities having their own carry and no carry zones that would make it very hard to travel around in the state. Some areas have tried to pass their own firearm regulations with little knowledge that they are violating the state constitution. Usually many pro-gun watch dog groups monitor these laws and make their voices heard until the local law is revoked. Many malls in my area have signs which prohibit the carrying of firearms in their stores, but again, you cannot be charged with a crime if you do so. You will be charged with trespassing if the store discovers the firearm, asks you to leave, but you refuse. The same situation applies to places of employment. True, you may be fired, but you have not committed a crime unless refusing to leave when asked.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heck, we've had girls at work beat each other with hammers when they were fighting over some guy both were dating...funny thing, we still use hammers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.