Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Central GA.

A long time Grocery Store is closing it doors. I saw many different signs stating how few days the doors were going to be open .... all a gimick to get more people in there to spend more money.

The ONE item that was PACKED in the store ... rice.

The ONE item MISSING from the ENTIRE store ... batteries.

Sheeple seemed to really ponder over the soaps, shampoos, and personal items ... but didn't decide to purchase any of them.

There was a good supply of 120V light bulbs, and lamp oil. There was matches and a diminished supply of cooking heaters in a can.

The frozen food section was still fairly well stocked, compared to the rest of the store.

All the canned soups were gone.

The expensive canned chili on the shelf ... at $2.60 looked untouched. At 80% discount, that chili was not so expensive ....

The $18 Imported Italian olive oil was still fully stocked on the shelf; but it too was discounted 80%.

There was still Dog and Cat food on an entire isle.

I was able to purchase about 45 cans of PREMIUM tuna, salmon, and chicken at about $1 a can.

And, I was even able to pick out the 2013 "Best By" dates.

I gotta tell ya .... I have some Octopus something or others ... and I have NO idea what I bought .... I'm so tempted to open one for consumption!

Receipt ORIGINAL total said, 60% discount on the majority of the Purchase (some was 80%)... = -129.56 to the entire bill.
Paid 2.86 in Tax
Paid 82.84 For 71 canned food items.

·
Registered
430 Posts
When a grocery store closed the next town over they auctioned everything off. Cases of canned foods averaged $2 a case and we bought 3 cases of TP for $5 each (I think 6-12 packs per case?)

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
I missed a sale like that on canned goods months back and I'm still kicking myself over it. Though if you want good deals on toilet paper and have Dollar General stores in your area, go take a look. They usually sell the 24 packs of Angel Soft for $5-6. Not as good of a deal as you got, but it's a steady supply. My attic is becoming a fire hazard, but it's sure well insulated! :D:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love it when I run across deals like that. That's one of the reason's I keep a stash of cash on hand to be able to take advantage of the deals.
I am sorry to hear about another store going out of bussiness, it sure seems to be the sign of the times.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I keep a cash reserve for the same reason. One too many times I passed on a great deal and said no more. doesn't matter if it's a store sale or garage sale.

$100 in the bottom of the sock drawer.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
I missed a sale like that on canned goods months back and I'm still kicking myself over it. Though if you want good deals on toilet paper and have Dollar General stores in your area, go take a look. They usually sell the 24 packs of Angel Soft for $5-6. Not as good of a deal as you got, but it's a steady supply. My attic is becoming a fire hazard, but it's sure well insulated! :D:
This was for the Scott toilet paper packs, 1 of those rolls will last us a week :thumb:

·
Registered
913 Posts
If it's the food store near the military base I wish I hadn't been on vacation that week :) I was not impressed by some of the prices at 40%. The hot cocoa mix even at a discount was no deal compared to Wal-Mart's.

I look for KMart or maybe some Piggly Wiggly/lower tier chain stores to thin their ranks. I can't see how Sears or Kmart can sustain themselves anymore, especially if they can't lease their space or the recession dips again.

Any other grocery chains out there that may be having trouble?

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Was this a regional or national chain or a mom & pop grocery store?

Central GA.

A long time Grocery Store is closing it doors. I saw many different signs stating how few days the doors were going to be open .... all a gimick to get more people in there to spend more money.

The ONE item that was PACKED in the store ... rice.

The ONE item MISSING from the ENTIRE store ... batteries.

Sheeple seemed to really ponder over the soaps, shampoos, and personal items ... but didn't decide to purchase any of them.

There was a good supply of 120V light bulbs, and lamp oil. There was matches and a diminished supply of cooking heaters in a can.

The frozen food section was still fairly well stocked, compared to the rest of the store.

All the canned soups were gone.

The expensive canned chili on the shelf ... at $2.60 looked untouched. At 80% discount, that chili was not so expensive ....

The $18 Imported Italian olive oil was still fully stocked on the shelf; but it too was discounted 80%.

There was still Dog and Cat food on an entire isle.

I was able to purchase about 45 cans of PREMIUM tuna, salmon, and chicken at about $1 a can.

And, I was even able to pick out the 2013 "Best By" dates.

I gotta tell ya .... I have some Octopus something or others ... and I have NO idea what I bought .... I'm so tempted to open one for consumption!

Receipt ORIGINAL total said, 60% discount on the majority of the Purchase (some was 80%)... = -129.56 to the entire bill.
Paid 2.86 in Tax
Paid 82.84 For 71 canned food items.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts