Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of my uncles growing up had farms. My dad had two boys. To say we were included in harvest and butchering time would sell us short. Yes we were included but we were also counted on. My brother and I were young and strong. Our dad was willing to let us city boys help out on our uncles farms when hands were needed.
My dad, "POP" was the smartest of the bunch. Pop had been cripled with arthritis when he was a teenager. Pop decided he better strenghthen his mind because his body would soon let him down.
Pop was an electrical engineer. He worked for the power company and was well respected for the 33 years he worked for them.
I would like to tell you about my brother if you don't mind.
Joe and I both loved guns and shooting. My brother and I were lucky enough to have an army sniper or as he liked to say a "Sharp Shooter" for an uncle.
Elwood was the coolest guy I ever met in my 12 years on this planet.
As a reward for our hard work Uncle Elwood woke us up early one morning from his bunk house. His bunk house was a building 60 feet long and 20 wide full of bunk beds. It would sleep 50 easy 100 if needed.
Elwood said he had a problem we needed to help him with. Cool, yep I am sure we can help.
My uncles problem was ground hogs in his pasture. Uncle Elwood had the nicest rifle I had ever seen cradeled in his arm. The scope was huge.
Joe and I were up and running instantly. Up yep, check. Out the door in 3 min check.
Uncle Elwood lead us through his pasture and up on a hill and pointed out our foe.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The problem was these little varments were hundreds of yards away. Dawn was on us and we had a big day ahead of us.
Uncle Elwood proceded to teach us about long range shooting. He said on the spot shooting was fine if you have to do it but learn from every shot. Where did the Land? Why did it land there?
I sat quietly and listened but my older brother was eating this training up with a fork and spoon.
The gun our uncle brought was a 30.06. This round will kill a ground hog but holy **** do you want to blow him apart?
I learned fast a 30.06 will destroy a ground hog at distances up to 800 yards.
Joe made several long range shots. My uncle schooled him in how to hold off the target and allow for conditions. Wind, angle,heat etc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thus began our training.

Ground hogs became the enemy. Pop found us farmers with hogs to kill and my brother and I went to work. Pop baght us a 223 varmit rifle and a scope that was nuts. The scope was so good you could count the wiskers on there face.
We killed hundreds of these hogs in the 4 years we had before my brother went to college. My brother is now Doctor Joe. An MD in practice in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elwood gave us all a gift.

Uncle Elwood was told he had cancer. Pop, Joe and I rushed to his home.
Elwood was hurting. He was glad to see us We talked small talk for a while and then he surprised us all.
This good man handed my brother the key to his gun safe.
He asked joe to bring him his 36. Joe knew This was his favorite rifle. The rifle a WW2 veteran snip.. "sharpshooter" would value.
He asked me to bring his wife in to the room.
She seemed to know exactly what was up.
Uncle Elwood presented his 36 to my brother with much tears from all of us.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I still hunt.

I hunt deer with a bow from a tree stand. I take two deer a year. Thats all my wife and I need. Hunting with a bow brings me as close to them as possible.
I still love to shoot long range and do it as often as I can. I have a "36" and try to chalenge myself every month or so.
I shoot my bow nearly every day. I stand on my deck and hit a target 70 feet away.
The angle down saves me from losing arrows and I always hunt from a tree stand anyway so this seems to work as practice.

Hunting with a bow is more challenging than hunting with a rifle. You often have no second chance at a shot with a bow and you must place the arrow exactly where it is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts