Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

· Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a place in a city that might be useful as a bo place that most people - hopefully all - will not think about? Some places I have thought about that might potentially be useful are:
  • refuse transfer station - I know...go ahead and say it...this idea stinks :) but if trash is not being collected, no one is likely to be working there...carefully dig a hole and hide out for a couple of days. If there is organic matter there, it also might be producing methane, which means that it might be warmer in the ground than other places.
  • around water treatment plants - they tend to have a wide belt of land around them and are often landscaped.

These are not glamourous places, but if you needed a place to hang out for a while...and when you are desperate...

· Registered
3,961 Posts
Could be. But I'm generally going with "no". Just simply due to population density.

However the 2 you suggested are out of the box, so there's that.

Rooftops are another out of the box. If you can get there unseen (population density being the problem in that). Thinking industrial areas here, without higher buildings around where someone else could see you.

· Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Could be. But I'm generally going with "no". Just simply due to population density.

However the 2 you suggested are out of the box, so there's that.

Rooftops are another out of the box. If you can get there unseen (population density being the problem in that). Thinking industrial areas here, without higher buildings around where someone else could see you.
For sure! I am not thinking so much of a "plan A" scenario but a "plan B" or "plan C"....or even a place to stay put for a couple of days when nothing else is going well, in transit.

· Dirt Dweller
2,016 Posts
Where you hide depends on many many factors. However you should have a plan to escape EARLY. History have showed that those that flee early have the best chances to escape. Think of riding bikes at night while there is no lights. Get use to night vision, avoid bottle necks, bridges and areas that are known as BAD. Once you escape be sure you have a place to go.

· Indefatigable
23,887 Posts
In Tulsa at least the sewer/water/landfill is guarded, and you will need to take your spot under the roadways and trains away from the most resilient homeless.
Also consider, much of the land in and around Tulsa belongs to several different tribes. Unless you have a tribal card from one of them, I wouldn't be planning to take shortcuts through or shelter in those areas.
One possible consideration that I know others HAVE thought of and the reason we wouldn't waste our time there, are the tunnels left behind by moonshiners. They run under a portion of downtown, Tulsa University and several neighborhoods.

· Dirt Dweller
2,016 Posts
Two BOVs you may want to consider. Both are quiet and low tech. A bike can cover 8 to 10 miles in an hour and haul more than a backpack. 3 or 4 hour should get you out of most big cities.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

A kayak can carry a lot and is very quiet and dependable. Obviously low tech. I think most larger cities were developed around rivers. There is a good chance the bad guys won’t be setting up road blocks on rivers.
Water Boat Sports equipment Vehicle Grass

· Registered
1,036 Posts
Two BOVs you may want to consider. Both are quiet and low tech. A bike can cover 8 to 10 miles in an hour and haul more than a backpack. 3 or 4 hour should get you out of most big cities.
View attachment 495119

A kayak can carry a lot and is very quiet and dependable. Obviously low tech. I think most larger cities were developed around rivers. There is a good chance the bad guys won’t be setting up road blocks on rivers.
View attachment 495123
I'd never considered my kayaks as BOVs. I have a pair of them, the river through town here can get a bit rough but with some skill would be survivable. I've I nly been down the river in a kayak once and that was enough for me 😆 I'll keep training my kids to use them.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
Solid waste transfer stations, waste to energy incinerators and wastewater treatment tend to operate 24/7 and have CTV and security on site. Likewise for fire stations, parks and schools.

Churches are safe places to crash for a night or two.
Introduce yourself, explain your situation and many will let you use the kitchen and shower if you clean up after yourself. I always leave a donation.

When deployed under EMAC motels were often full, so my home church pastor called ahead for me so that I was expected and welcome. I usually stayed for a few days to a week maximum, with sleeping bag in a church meeting room, cooked my own meals, showered and used the laundry room. I would help with preps for Sunday services and leave a donation when I departed, generally $50/day, but way less than a motel room and quieter.

· Badass Moderator 🤷
10,218 Posts
Good way to drown in flash flood area.
Yep. Several years ago we had an outbreak of tornadoes during a bad rainstorm. One of our overzealous weather people got wound up and told people to "get underground NOW if they wanted to live" or some such other wording but you get it. A couple of "foreigners" (i.e., not from Oklahoma) got out of their cars and got down in a big culvert. They drowned. It was really pretty sad. And completely avoidable.

· Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I STOLE an airplane once, it was very-very easy. Many don't even require an ignition key. Just turn on the mags. and the fuel, hand prop for starting, and you're on your way.
I can't fly one but I could use one as a place to crash for a while....crash IN the plane, rather than crashing the plane!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts