Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where I live, I have to drive 10 miles to buy groceries, so the other day, I was at the store picking up a few things(frozen pizza, butter etc.), and while I was standing at the check out stand, paying for my food, the lady behind me(who I didn’t know), made the announcement....

“I occurred to me, that I should start stocking up, but instead of beans and rice, look what I picked up”, and she pointed to some hair care product that she was buying.

The checker and I laughed, and I jokingly said......
“You had better get that now, because the time will come, when it won’t be available.”

As I walked out to the car, I thought, “does everybody know that I am stocking up”?!?!

“Will everybody be coming to my house, when they run out of food?!?!”
--------------------------------------------------
I am very careful(only buying one bag or beans or rice at a time), but could people be catching on somehow? I doubt it.

Maybe what this lady said, shows how more and more people are seeing the coming crash and thinking about getting ready.

And that is good news.

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
Well...what if you issue some anonymous pieces of papers with some preparedness advices around in some strategic places...? could make some people to start to prepare themselves, and that means less social tensions arising in case of troubles!

:D:

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
maybe she saw all your food, and it made her start to contemplate things...

or she was just some weird old lady. i dont think you are being followed and marked for attack come IT.

T

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Well...what if you issue some anonymous pieces of papers with some preparedness advices around in some strategic places...? could make some people to start to prepare themselves, and that means less social tensions arising in case of troubles!

:D:
Ah, but you didn't account for the greed factor of the human species. They will always want more, more, more. Keep your eyes peeled and try to be as inconspicuous as you can be when purchasing preps.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I do my shopping 35 miles away from home. I talk with as many people as I can about stocking up. The more that know, the more that will prepare.

I realize a lot of them will continue doing as they always have, but a few of them will stock some food up (Maybe a week or two). Then there will be those that start stocking up food for a month or two.

Any stocking is better then sitting there doing nothing. And since I shop so far from home, I feel relativly safe from that element.

My area has many farms, ranches and small holdings. Many of these people have worked together to keep our valley solvent. There will be those that will loose it mentaly when the SHTF and those that will bugout of our area to a larger safer city. Ha! Ha!

But eventually we will be left with the hard core workers and survivers and we will continue to pick up the pieces of our lives and go on with it.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Here in Alaska heavy shopping doen't stand out much. A lot of folks don't get to town but maybe once a year, So buying a $1,000 plus at Costco or Sam's doesn't raise an eyebrow.
Was down in Washington state a few years ago getting a boat ready to sail north,we did raise a few eyebrows with a $3,000. purchase at Costco. " You sure must like coffee"
looking at 12 cases we had on our cart or "whens the BBQ ?" When they saw our meat purchase.
I figure it's my money and none of their business.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I found dried navy beans for 98c per pound, which was cheaper than WallyWorld, so I bought all they had. Lady asked if I was stocking up, I replied that I heard the 7th trumpet last night in a dream and Gabriel the archangel told me to come here at 1:23pm and buy these.

Needless to say, no more questions.

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
I found dried navy beans for 98c per pound, which was cheaper than WallyWorld, so I bought all they had. Lady asked if I was stocking up, I replied that I heard the 7th trumpet last night in a dream and Gabriel the archangel told me to come here at 1:23pm and buy these.

LOL......seriously though our Sunday School class does a good job helping to keep a local food bank stocked and when we go buy 3 grocery buggies full of food, 3 flats of 5 different canned foods and 2 cases of dried beans, cases of crackers, etc, we do get some weird looks and questions......

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Awhile back I remember a post from a gal who was question about her purchase of 100lbs of flour.
She said they were making "play dough" at the pre-school.
I liked that one..

·
Registered
315 Posts
As I walked out to the car, I thought, “does everybody know that I am stocking up”?!?!

“Will everybody be coming to my house, when they run out of food?!?!”
Not everyone will be coming to your house. I'll stay at my place, but everyone else will be. I told them all that you were stocking up, so if they're hungry, just head over there, not to my place.:)

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts

Hilarious... Although, I don't think I could do that with a straight face.

If anybody questions my purchases I usually crack a smile, maybe laugh a little, or joke around until they give me my receipt and I walk away with my stuff. No serious answers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just by liquor. If anyone questions the stock up just say I like to have parties. We all know that liquor has great value in the bad time and it keeps...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts