Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
What the heck is all that stuff doing there? Was it just people dumping trash there or was it a industrial site before?

How big is the retreat?

·
Registered
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the stuff at the retreat.

The retreat is 40 acres and it has been a working gold mine for over a 100 years. See some of the other videos i have posted and look through my treads since I am posting a very long tread about what we have been doing at the survival retreat. The last owner of the property before my dad got it, used to collect all kinds stuff and that was left for us to clean up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like what you are doing is a great thing, I have just become aware of all these things about what is going on. I am a single mother of two young boys and I am a little of afraid. The city i live in I do not have any family, so when it comes time, i am not sure of what to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow lots of land but lots of work getting that crap outta there. I would also bet that there is not a place fairly close to haul that trash out to as well. Trash aside you atleast have a step up over us city dwellers!

·
Registered
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen your intro and posted a welcome there too. So I kind of understad what is going on with you. What I could suggest is if you don't have property or family close by then try to find a area in the nearest forest to run to when and if you need to. Just learn how you can live off the land in the mean time. Once you know how to live off te land and survive in a forest then you can live off te land with very little. One of the best reads out there for someone starting out is The US Army survival manual and you can read it free on our site at: http://www.survivalebooks.com/survivalfm3-0570.html

That should help you get started and when you are done wit that one let me know Email me here and i will get you some more books to read that will help.

Take care,
Wes

·
Registered
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Te scrapper got the metal out so the rest should not be too bad since we can burn it during burn season. We are just getting it into burn piles now. And ya it there is no place close by to take the trash, half the people that live in the nearest town still have to take their own trash to the dump themself. Some burn it year round if tey have small amounts.

Later,
Wes

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Looks like you need to borrow a big trailer to take some stuff to the salvage yard. Some good money in steel if you can get it loaded up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
What a gold mine(above ground too):D: Get that dozer running and pull all the crap to one field near your exit. Not everything there is crap though, I'd be like a kid in a candy store. Your lucky your not in Florida, that stuff would be so choked out with weeds. Look carefully before you scrap everything lot of that stuff is useful :cool:

·
Registered
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup we now wrote a story about everything we did with it or are doing here on the boards.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=25077

And it also explains wat we made from it.

Wes

What a gold mine(above ground too):D: Get that dozer running and pull all the crap to one field near your exit. Not everything there is crap though, I'd be like a kid in a candy store. Your lucky your not in Florida, that stuff would be so choked out with weeds. Look carefully before you scrap everything lot of that stuff is useful :cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Survivalebooks you are very lucky. More so than probably 97% of the people on this forum. You are light years ahead of us. I pray that me and my family can have something like that someday very soon. A+. :thumb:

·
Registered
27,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jarhead,

Yes, we are very lucky to have come this far with the survival retreat and we do understand we are ahead of alot of people. Not very many people can do this on their own. That includes the cost al the way to working on the place. As a family it is alot easier to do then on your own and it can be done.

Wes

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
you got a gold mine there, i can see a lot that would be worth keeping and fixing up,you should get quite a bit back in cash from all the scrap you have,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts