Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all seen the pics of the receipts of the supposed purchases made with EBT cards of steak and cold water lobster. While I do not believe those are real, today i actually watched something like it happen.

I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner. I was at the meat counter looking for some flank steak. There were two woman with three kids between them. They were looking at meat as well. One of the women pointed to small cuts of steak and the other said, "no, no, we want the Porterhouse, get the porterhouse." So they picked up three Porterhouse steaks, in excess of $20.00 each and dropped them in the cart.

Now I cant afford Porterhouse and I have a good job, but I have to use my money. One of these women had a Blackberry in one hand and sub made in the deli in the other. The other was listening to an Ipod Touch clipped to her pocket. Sticking out of the top of her other pocket? You guessed it, her food stamp card.

I understand people fall on hard times, but hard times are just that, hard. Eating Porterhouses isnt hard living to me. It is just a sad statement that some people treat this a lifestyle. It is as natural to them to have free food as it is for them to have free air. Its a crime that those of us that work have to pay for those that dont to live better than we do.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are expensive. And it is bull**** that these people can buy that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Not here, it's not and I can't understand why. Porterhouse is the large cut of meat in the T bone, or what you Americans call Strip steak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-bone_steak
T-Bone and Porterhouse in the US is a combination of what you call the Porterhouse (the short loin) and what you call the fillet (tender loin). The bone between the short loin and the tenderloin isn't removed, and it's cut through and looks like a T as a result. In a T-Bone the fillet is smaller, hence the less cost. In the US Porterhouse it should be just about a full sized tenderloin and a full sized short loin steak.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
I remember when my dad walked out on my mom and she was a stay at home mom so while times were hard she got food stamps(when they were stamps), and you were only limited to Milk, eggs, cereal, sandwich meat and usually the store brands of essentials ONLY. They were marked everything you could buy on food stamps had a tag next to the price. But options were limited. My mom was only on it till she got on her feet with her new job and then got rid of it. It was degrading, and depressing and she cried when she had to go on food stamps. It sucked, I was a youngen but I remember. Those people give other people having a hard time a bad name.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
I have seen variations of welfare queens and others from South of the Border loading up grocery shopping carts with the highest priced food items and junk food in the store for a lot of years. Always burns my cookies when I see these scammers getting away with this, too.

Usually the kids they have with them are walking around in $300 athletic shoes and dressed in the latest fad clothing. Then, these cheats stand in the check-out line and yak on their cell phone......showing off their acrylic nails and fingers loaded down with gold and diamonds. Afterward, exit the store and load the groceries into a top-of-the-line expensive vehicle.

I will qualify this by saying that I DO NOT begrudge food stamps to any family who is genuinely in need of help and makes sensible purchases. But, the system is just screaming for an overhaul, which would limit food stamps to basic food items and make the expensive luxury foods off limits in that program.

Also, as another poster mentioned recently in another thread......it is just maddening to drive by the welfare office at the first of the month and see all the late model expensive cars parked in the lot.

·
Registered
647 Posts
We have all seen the pics of the receipts of the supposed purchases made with EBT cards of steak and cold water lobster. While I do not believe those are real, today i actually watched something like it happen.

I stopped by the grocery store to pick up some stuff for dinner. I was at the meat counter looking for some flank steak. There were two woman with three kids between them. They were looking at meat as well. One of the women pointed to small cuts of steak and the other said, "no, no, we want the Porterhouse, get the porterhouse." So they picked up three Porterhouse steaks, in excess of $20.00 each and dropped them in the cart.

Now I cant afford Porterhouse and I have a good job, but I have to use my money. One of these women had a Blackberry in one hand and sub made in the deli in the other. The other was listening to an Ipod Touch clipped to her pocket. Sticking out of the top of her other pocket? You guessed it, her food stamp card.

I understand people fall on hard times, but hard times are just that, hard. Eating Porterhouses isnt hard living to me. It is just a sad statement that some people treat this a lifestyle. It is as natural to them to have free food as it is for them to have free air. Its a crime that those of us that work have to pay for those that dont to live better than we do.
People Like the ones you encountered today that dont work, and yet get paid are the reason that people like you and I that do work to get paid cant eat porterhouse steak.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Not to hijack, but I was approached by a person the other day as I walked into a restuarant. She asked for "a few $$ so she and her kids can eat".

My BS-o-meter went off. I ignored her, and didn't say anything as I continued on my business.

As I sat and ate, she walked by the window a few times asking every passerby for $$. Once she gave me a glaring look.

Not a fun meal for me. I was raised to give and not question. My dad taught me that I would be judged for not helping when asked, just as they would be judged for asking for help when they didn't need it. BUT, I digress.

When I walked out of the restuarant, She was 1 door away and busily texting on her $400.00 I-phone.

My BS-o-meter worked well. no more guilt.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
While it certainly frustrates me to no end seeing folks on food stamps buying overpriced items like this, I can definitely see why it happens. The state thinks its better to give them loose access to food products and allow them to buy virtually anything, rather than restrict to only certain items and have them constantly complaining that they can't buy this or that.

The food industry does categorize products into buckets but it's poorly regulated and very inconsistent. One manufacturer or distributor might consider a can of Pinto beans a "food ingredient" and another might call it a "prepared food." There definitely isn't enough consistency or oversight to make sure ribeyes don't fall into the same category as ground chuck -- they're both "beef."

It would be a monumental effort to develop an "approved products" list that both excluded "extravagant" items such as caviar and $15/lb aged cheddar but still allowed you to buy sardines and Kraft singles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've got a good one, a friend of mine works for Wal-Mart. She had a customer come in and return a x-box. He was screaming at her and cussing that the x-box had been repackaged. She said she would give him a refund because things like that sometimes happens. On the reciept shows he paid for it with his EBT card. Sure is nice to know that an x-box is a need. It is a real shame that some people just don't get it.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Where I live (NY), Porterhouse steaks are about $8. I love to eat porterhouse and I feel bad that you can't afford to. Where is the joy of living if you deprive yourself of good food? What I do is plan to eat a "cheap meal" 3x a week. A cheap meal is mac and cheese, spaghetti, ramen stir fry, ect. These cheap meals cost $3-$5 to make. Then 2x a week, I make a medium cost meal ($5-8) like chicken soup,tacos, goulash or pot roast. The other 2 days I make a special meal like steak, corned beef, stuffed pork chops or seafood. If you use this sort of plan, you'll be able to afford a few nice meals each week. Life is short; get yourself a porterhouse tomorrow! :)

1 - 20 of 361 Posts