Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
survivalist in training
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a quonset hut bunker? Is this a good idea? If not, please tell why. If so, what would be the best way to build one? How much $$$ will it take?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Many of the magazine compounds that I have worked at most of the older magazines that are still being used are for all intents and purposes little more than over sized Quonset huts with about an 18-24 inch layer of concrete covered by about 2 feet of sod. Many were built in the 50's and many still being used or quiet servicable. That alone ought to tell you it is a fairly feasable idea not far beyond the relm of possibility.

There is no reason why a sturdy one couldnt be assembled and with adequate interior structural support then be shot with a couple of inches of gunite or shotcrete providing a very sturdy shell which could be finshed out into acceptable living accomdations. This is basically the same technique that the companies that are building concrete dome shelters and houses are using.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Many of the magazine compounds that I have worked at most of the older magazines that are still being used are for all intents and purposes little more than over sized Quonset huts with about an 18-24 inch layer of concrete covered by about 2 feet of sod. Many were built in the 50's and many still being used or quiet servicable. That alone ought to tell you it is a fairly feasable idea not far beyond the relm of possibility.

There is no reason why a sturdy one couldnt be assembled and with adequate interior structural support then be shot with a couple of inches of gunite or shotcrete providing a very sturdy shell which could be finshed out into acceptable living accomdations. This is basically the same technique that the companies that are building concrete dome shelters and houses are using.
Having spent some time in the bunkers of Red River Army Depot in NE Tex the bunkers are 'Quonset huts' covered with earth. They are EVERYWHERE. They are used to store ammo from small arms (5.56) to 10,000 lb bombs and everything inbetween. RRAD is one of the largest ammo conversion facilities in the US or was at one time.

From an architectural viewpoint the Q-hut is EXTREMELY strong due to its ability to DISTRIBUTE WEIGHT. Its based upon the Roman arch, specifically the 'Triangular Arch'. Extremely strong, lightweight, easily assembled, able to withstand extreme winds and high snow loads...go for it!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
You can get prefab quonset huts pretty cheap. Many of the companies that specialize in large metal structures offer them. Only takes a few guys to assemble them on a foundation. Then it's up to you to finish them out however you want. Shouldn't be too hard to reinforce them with concrete.

·
survivalist in training
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the good input, guys! Does anyone know of any specific places I could get one of these (established businesses that are well-known for their quality) in or around the tri-state Kentucky/Indiana/Ohio area?

·
Registered
166 Posts
crikey, we used to call them HAS's (hardened aircraft shelters) when i was stationed in korea. those half shell shapes can bear a ton of weight from i was told. the front sliding doors were also well over a foot thick of concrete and the side doors were sold steel bulkhead doors. i did hear something about over-pressurization from bomb blasts would wreak havoc on soft tissues inside the structure. maybe true, probably not though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts