Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOU...NO LONGER have to get up and punch that clock or show up all cleaned and pressed to impress someone or have to adhere to some kind of expected dress code for whatever endeavor you were following....

SO, just how far to "seed" do you get before you have to regroup and your wife/gf/mate gets off your back about looking like a homeless guy? OR, that has no effect on your appearance and she ignores you...

Me, I go 2-3 weeks between shaves, for years my daily attire has been my BDUs in woodland camo (thankfully where I live in the northlands it is considered semi-formal evening attire😁) I cut my own hair when it starts to bother me and I am wearing a sweatshirt right now that most folks would have put in the rag bag long ago. I have literally given away ALL my suits. I have none in my closet...do not care what function I could have to attend, never in another suit. Just not happening.

OR

have you been so ingrained with your previous life requirements that every morning you get up and do the same 3 S's you did all your life and you feel unnatural not following that pattern?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I’m not retired yet, but only work when I want to , I get up at 7 go to bed at 11 wear a tee in the winter and a long wife beater tee shirt to cover my 1911 .
Cargo pants or shorts gray Sox work boots all ways .
Nothing changed I have one clean shirt /pants for wedding / Funerals lost my dress shoes
I’ve never warn a suit I did have one .
But im a contractor 😜

·
Registered
953 Posts
I still get up before the Sun Rises, hard habit to break, but nope my clothing is what will wear the best for the work I have planned that day be it an old pair of woodland BDUs or ragged out jeans, I quit shaving a few months before I quit my job and my hair has always been long and in a pony tail, I will hose off once in a while when I can't stand myself any more or the cats won't come around me :) I do clean up to go to town or appointments, I'm single so I don't feel the need to impress anyone with my outward appearance, nor would I

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you say your single......
😁 😁 😁 (y)

NAAAHHH
actually my wife adores me.
😁
SHe knew what she was getting into on our first date when I showed up in my rusty GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, jeans, boots, my Eddite Bauer parka that had duct tape patched over where the goose down was trying to escape and my navy blue knit watchcap. At that stage of my life I was 29, had gone through all the other stages of impressing GFs and I said to myself "NUTS" this is how I really am when I don't have to be in uniform and if she doesn't like it, at least we won't spend weeks or months doing the dating dance figuring out who we really are. . She was an ER RN so she was used to dealing with the unusual.
and
since she lived with me being a UC for over 5 years when I never shaved my beard or cut my hair... ANYTHING not that extreme is a bonus as far as she is concerned.(y)

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,021 Posts
In my career, I wore my hair at 1/4" length. For most of my career, I had a full beard trimmed to US Navy regs [trained to lay flat against the skin extending no more than 1/2" away from the skin and no individual hair longer than 3/4" in length].

On my first sub I volunteered to cut hair and I was given a barber set. I cut my hair myself from that point until now.

At my last Duty Station before I was put onto mandatory pension, I was required to be clean shaven. I am the guy who must shave a second time every day about 10 hours into each shift. Shaving twice a day like that caused my skin to have a lot of ingrown hairs and boils. I am White, so I do not qualify for the medical 'no shave' chit. Everyday at work I had puss and blood dripping down my face and neck. I thought it looked disgusting, but there were no other options for my race. As soon as I retired I stopped shaving to allow my face to heal.

As a retiree I let my beard grow as long as it wants.

At 50yo my beard began to turn white. That bothered me so I started dying my beard to keep it brown.

At 55yo I had my first round with cancer. Three years later my cancer returned and that was when I decided to finally let my hair grow out.

At 60yo I quit dying my beard.

My beard reaches to my nipples and my hair falls down to maybe two inches below the tip of my beard.

When I was serving on Active Duty my beard had bright red patches at both corners of my mouth, which looked to me as if I was a habitual tobacco chewer and it dripped out of my mouth staining my beard [I have never chewed tobacco]. In my old age those red streaks have gone away.

Now it is just a mixture of white, grey, and brown.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
34,877 Posts
I'll likely never retire (even if I could) but if I did ... I know me. I can't go but a couple of days without a shower (daily when I'm on my standard work routine) and a neck shave (I wear a beard). I have to trim my nose and ear hairs or I go a little nuts. Nothing worse than a mustache hair interacting with a long nose hair or ear hairs that are long enough to braid.

I've taken vacations where I'm supposed to relax but I still stay well groomed. I'm 61 as of a few days ago but am still pretty anal about my appearance. Now when it comes to clothes ... I have no problem wearing an old pair of jeans and a well-worn sweatshirt or t-shirt. I also have a number of well-used ball caps but I throw them away the moment I see oil stains around the brim.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
YOU...NO LONGER have to get up and punch that clock or show up all cleaned and pressed to impress someone or have to adhere to some kind of expected dress code for whatever endeavor you were following....

SO, just how far to "seed" do you get before you have to regroup and your wife/gf/mate gets off your back about looking like a homeless guy? OR, that has no effect on your appearance and she ignores you...

Me, I go 2-3 weeks between shaves, for years my daily attire has been my BDUs in woodland camo (thankfully where I live in the northlands it is considered semi-formal evening attire😁) I cut my own hair when it starts to bother me and I am wearing a sweatshirt right now that most folks would have put in the rag bag long ago. I have literally given away ALL my suits. I have none in my closet...do not care what function I could have to attend, never in another suit. Just not happening.

OR

have you been so ingrained with your previous life requirements that every morning you get up and do the same 3 S's you did all your life and you feel unnatural not following that pattern?
Pretty much the same as you although my daily clothing is carpenter pants and an old tee shirt with a Carhart hoodie over it and footwear is either my hiking shoes or an old pair of workboots. Don't own any other footwear. Being in roughly the same area I figure that we both blend in about the same.

My wife also bitches about the amount of good honest wear that I'm willing to let my clothes accumulate and still consider them to be ok.

ETA: I have to take the footwear back. Sometimes if I don't have any plans for the day I wear my cheap moccasin type slippers to the store for a beer run in the afternoon.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,610 Posts
Not any scruffier than when I worked as an engineer.

When I started in the 80s, I had to wear a dress shirt and a tie, but by the 90s, professional dress was only for presentations and awards. By the end it was business casual, and shorts during the summer months (summer temps reached 115F). I dont even own real ties anymore.

Now I live on a farm and wear cargo pants/cargo shorts, and a tee shirt most days. Very rarely wear heavier clothes, and I dont even dress for funerals. I always wore a full beard, but today there is less hair.

·
Jackpine Savage
5,397 Posts
I'll likely never retire (even if I could) but if I did ... I know me. I can't go but a couple of days without a shower (daily when I'm on my standard work routine) and a neck shave (I wear a beard). I have to trim my nose and ear hairs or I go a little nuts. Nothing worse than a mustache hair interacting with a long nose hair or ear hairs that are long enough to braid.

I've taken vacations where I'm supposed to relax but I still stay well groomed. I'm 61 as of a few days ago but am still pretty anal about my appearance. Now when it comes to closes ... I have no problem wearing an old pair of jeans and a well-worn sweatshirt or t-shirt. I also have a number of well-used ball caps but I throw them away the moment I see oil stains around the brim.
I've been wearing the same Tigers ballcap for close to 20 years now. The last one only lasted about 15. The wife makes fun of me because I get out of bed grab it off of the bedpost and put it on at 3am, then I go take a leak come back take it off and hang it back up. I probably haven't been seen in public without a hat in over 20 years when I was at a funeral last.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Not quite retired yet. My much younger management is totally untrained and unaware of my value, my wife does not care when I retire. My retirement is set up, I will never come out of Dickies carpenter pants and a tee shirt. Til then I am bald, grey and smooth shaven. Probably retired by 7-1-22. Then its chickens, gardening, chainsawing, food preserving, shooting. I do that now.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Retired. not working. no wife. live alone. I let the hair grow out to reduce maintenance cost.
have had beard for 50 years, let it grow wild now.

In jest, my brother says I can earn extra money standing along the road at walmart with a homeless sign. i love it!

Seriously though, I don't have the need for that, but I do find life interesting now...people look at me quite differently, or just plain ignore me, which, in itself is not all bad! " a real "grey man"! The old rusty '96 ram cummins completes the image!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
^^^ I am not that bad about the cap, though I go no where without one on. My hair is well beyond my shoulders and only put it in a Ponytail if I am going into a business where I am fixing a machine.
On occasions I have to wear a button up Company Shirt for a high end client. Other than that I am wearing two or three shirts. In the winter it is three. A long sleeve thermal and a tee over that and another long sleeve T type shirt. Some are Harley's and some are Undercover Political. You have to know what it means to get it. I do wear a couple that say All Gave Some and Some Gave ALL with my sons school having a heart-attack when I come in with it on as it has the evil Soldier with a Weapon.
My wife just accepts that is who I am.
I could never grow a beard something in my Genes. I try to stay somewhat neat but it is rugged compared to everyone else I work around. Since I still have to go into a business I can't really look like a Homeless off the street.
I also wear a Bandanna around my neck year around sometimes when it is over 90 I want wear one. Have been called Johnny Cash by a few customers as I wear Black most of the time in jeans and shirts and hats and Boots.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts