Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so I need some input here. I have a nice little collection of guns that I'm pretty comfortable with. Included in which, I have a hunting/clay busting 12Ga shotgun, 12Ga home defense gun, the obligatory AR-15 and several .22s for plinking and small game. My tax return was good to me, so I have a choice to make. I was thinking about getting an AK to round out the collection...for now...before there's another stupid panic and all the good quality, decent priced AKs are all bought up. But, I could get something longer range, like a long barrel .223/5.56 for small game or maybe a .308 for something larger.

So, here's the question. Is an AK a justifiable purchase now while the getting is good just to cover all of my bases or would a longer gun be the better choice. I would really appreciate your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
12,059 Posts
I'd trade off or sell the 5.56 and get a .308 MBR, with a couple of .32 ACP and .30 Carbine chamber adapters for small game. Or, if you really like the 5.56, keep the AR and get a Remington 700 .30-'06 with scope and the chamber adapters for hunting both large and small game with it.

Just my opinion.

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would never want dissuade someone from buying a gun but, how are your other preps? Water, Food, Meds, Security?
Good point...I forgot to mention that. Everything else is coming along nicely. I have some of all and each month get more. I set aside money for that stuff. The gun, however, is my hobby and a prep. It just so happens that I have the money for it right now.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Why is the longest shot you might actually take in your area? A longer barreled gun might not even be needed.

I say why not on the AK. If your worried about not being able to get a longer barreled 5.56 later buy an AR lower for less than $100 along with an AK!

·
Who is #1?
2,043 Posts
Well sense you already have an AR-15 you might as well pass
on the AK-74 ( 5.45x39 ).

The AK 47 ( 7.62x39 ) is on the expensive side right now and there
is supposed to be a lot of AK coming to the USA over the next 5 years.

So really something in .308 is what I recommend.
I always say this but I'll say it again.

PTR-91
http://ptr91.com/

Unless you got the big buck and want to go all out
and get an Springfield M1A? The other being the SCAR 17.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Ok...so I need some input here. I have a nice little collection of guns that I'm pretty comfortable with. Included in which, I have a hunting/clay busting 12Ga shotgun, 12Ga home defense gun, the obligatory AR-15 and several .22s for plinking and small game. My tax return was good to me, so I have a choice to make. I was thinking about getting an AK to round out the collection...for now...before there's another stupid panic and all the good quality, decent priced AKs are all bought up. But, I could get something longer range, like a long barrel .223/5.56 for small game or maybe a .308 for something larger.

So, here's the question. Is an AK a justifiable purchase now while the getting is good just to cover all of my bases or would a longer gun be the better choice. I would really appreciate your opinions.
While you can make an argument for going that route I would say no personally speaking if you want my opinion. Here is why...

You already own a AR-15 which I will assume is chambered for 223/5.56. If that's the case being a typical prepper, I will also take the liberty of assuming you have a sizable stash of ammo to feed it or your at least working on it. If that's the case why add another mid range mid power cartridge and gun to the mix? Ammo aint exactly cheap and history has shown us that there will be occasional shortages of ammo and it aint getting any cheaper. What exactly would you gain by doing so?

When I went to the AR platform I also went out and bought a Mossberg MVP. I did so for a number of reasons. Here is a few of them but this is by no means all of them.

# 1, I already had a butt load of ammo and both guns will use the same ammo. No need to stock and hoard yet another caliber of ammo in great quantity, that equals less money spent in the long run.

#2, If my AR was to be outlawed due to draconian gun laws, I still had a way to use my stash of ammo. Yeah I know its a stretch as that would never happen here right? Well ask the folks of Conn and New York about that train of thinking! And with that bolt action MVP...I can get me another one of those AR's if I need one that bad, if you know what I mean...

#3, Nothing here in my area is bigger or more dangerous than a Hog or Deer and a 5.56 round of proper construction will handily take care of either at moderate ranges. If a bad guy is caught out in the open or not barricaded, they are going to have a very bad day out to at least 300 yards which is about as far as I am likely to have to shoot roving looters running the streets of suburbia. If I need to shoot further than that I have a Remington 700 VLS in 308 to take care of that and plenty of ammo to feed it although not as much as I have of 5.56.

#4, Ammo for the 5.56 is much cheaper than 308. Its a much more efficient round too and will stretch my reloading supplies much further than a larger caliber. Bulk 5.56 bullets are much cheaper to buy than bulk .311 or .308 bullets due to less material required to manufacture them. Again here we go back to money savings.

You may disagree with my logic and that's cool, but once you own a dozen or so guns or like me, several dozen, you start to think about things like this a lot more.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since you have the ar, I would stay with that platform if you want to get another semi.
The hole in your collection is a larger caliber scoped bolt action. I have shot almost every mbr platform, the only 7.62 mbr that could shoot with my bargain model .308 bolt was the m1a with a scope.
You can also get into a bolt action with a quality scope for about half the price of a good mbr.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know I'll get flamed for this, but not a fan of AK's. SKS in my mind is every bit as good for its intended purpose. While I like my ar, hard get about with a big mag hanging out the bottom. Not thrilled with the short sight radius either. Went with techsights for my sks. Huge difference. In my view, ak were made for the masses to spray and pray, the sks too. Notice the soviet block didn't go to 3 round burst on their weapons, semi or full only. The intimidation factor. jmho.:)

i like

·
Registered
209 Posts

I like a 30 caliber round better than a hopped up .22. Have you thought about a 30/30? 20" barrel, LeverEvolution ammo. 30 cal. rifle, 300+ yd. range with that ammo...I'm just sayin

·
Always Preparing
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A lot of great comments! Keep them coming. I'm starting to lean towards the .308 for longer range and deer. I take one of my shooting buddies to shoot skeet all the time and he just joined a club that has a 1000 yard range and we have several friends who do long range shooting. I'm not saying I can get out to 1000 yards, but punching holes at 300-500 yards isn't out of the question. Plus, a .308 will take down pretty much anything in PA.

My main thought about the AK would be getting while the getting is good. I'm not paying $150 for an $90 Mosin and I don't want to see $650 AKs sold for $1000 in a year. That's just me being frugal though.

So here is a follow up question. Semi or bolt action .308? Can you really get the range or justify hunting with a semi-auto .308?

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it were me I wouldn't go for the AK. I'd go for a scoped bolt .308, so you have the long-range category covered. Also, if you can in your area, you could use it to hunt.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts