Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted my garden here (Wisconsin) about 2 weeks ago and after I put the seeds in I sprinkled the whole garden with Preen. The radishes came up but not much else. My aunt said it was because the Preen makes it so that plants can't grow shoots. I thought it was used so that seeds that landed on the top of the soil won't germinate.

Anyone have more experience with Preen and know if that's correct? I'm really hoping I don't have to replant the garden :/

·
500K-1-500K
1,389 Posts
You shouldn't use Preen around your vegetables until they have developed some true leaves. Preen allows plants to sprout but inhibits root growth so that the plant can't get established and dies. Until the Preen dissipates, direct seeding is not going to work. You can transplant seedlings into your garden so long as they have true leaves.

·
Don't be dumb
7,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I till it under and replant will it possibly work then or will it just spread the Preen around and still have nothing grow? It says on the package that if the soil is disturbed after spreading the Preen that the Preen may not work then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think it says on the container that you put it in the garden weeks before you plant. i myself use black landscape material. was going to use it but did not want chemicals in my food.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
Once you get some true leaves, try using corn gluten to keep preemergent weeds from growing. It works great! Just sprinkle it on the soil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts