Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used, one of those brass fittings, for refilling those small disposable propane tanks.

I understand, that you attach it to a 10lb propane tank, and then screw it onto the smaller tanks, and it refills it.

I was thinking about buying one, but they cost about $20.00, so I wanted to know how well they work?

Thank you

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've had one for 10 yrs. No problem with it.
Just remember you have to de-press the relief valve on the disposable tank when filling it, to displace the air inside so you can get a good fill......Alaskan.....Dennis....

·
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF
549 Posts
This is quite dangerous, and completely illegal.

Now, I'll tell you my experiences with this: it's really easy to misalign the valve, and spray propane everywhere. So don't smoke while you're doing it. Having said that, it definitely IS possible (several years ago, I was hanging out with a friend and he showed me how to refill a ['nonrefillable'] butane lighter from a propane cylinder), but you'll probably have to fabricate the right valve yourself. Do some experimentation (don't kill yourself!), research the physical qualities of propane, look at how commercial propane products are constructed, etc. You can do this.

Just don't tell anyone :)

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
A quick tutorial about propane.

Read this post: top # 28 & #26.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=13908

Propane needs 20% expansion in any container you put it in.
If you fill a container & don't allow for the expansion well lets just say I plan to move a great distance away from you.

In the lab propane vigorously boils at room temperature.

Liquid propane coming out of a valve will be -40 degrees or colder will freeze your skin on contact.

You have to understand how the outage tube works in a propane tank.
Propane in gas comes out as a cloud. The liquid comes out as sputtering liquid that instantly vaporizes. Ground your tank to earth & the main propane tank when refilling. DON"T SMOKE or let anyone smoking anywhere near you. Propane is heavier than air so do this OUTSIDE in a breeze.
You don't want your neighbor setting fire to you from the barbecue he is cooking on or you will be the 1st fire bomb in the neighborhood.:thumb:

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Don't they also make an adapter to use the 20# tanks on stuff that uses the small tanks? Would probably work better.

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
Don't they also make an adapter to use the 20# tanks on stuff that uses the small tanks? Would probably work better.
The adapter hoses work just fine. We lived outdoors for 4 months last summer and used a 20# tank with our camping stove. We're not cooking outdoors as much this summer, but the hose is still going strong even after two summers in the sun and elements. I think we paid about $8 for it at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great advice.

I believe, that I will start looking for an adapter hose, and just use my 15gal. tank;
(And save my disposable tanks, for later:)

But even though they are called “disposable”, I will not through them away, when they are empty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts