Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ex-liberal :)
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was in a STHF situation and I ran out of lighter fluid, could I put gasoline in my lighter? My lighter is made by Mossy Oak and very similar to a zippo lighter.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
They have some awesome australian gasoline lighters that works great Ive had mine for close to 3 years now and it has survived everything I could put it through. also I have heard of people putting gas into zippos. hmmmm I wonder if that would work Ill have to try it next mine runs out

·
Registered
330 Posts
Gas, charcoal lighter fluid, etc. Pretty much anything flammable.

BTW, no matter how much windshield washer says it flammable, I could never light any of it on fire. ;)

·
pack light, move quietly.
556 Posts
Just don't use diesel

I found out in Mogadishu that my Zippo would not run on diesel. To high of a flash point. Additionally, I had to buy new guts for it when I got back stateside. Alcohol, gas, white gas, those kinds of things. I wouldn't count on kerosene or jet fuel either.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't know about the New Military Hummers but in the the pass the Jeeps had a large gas-tank mouth so you could stick your arm down it and refill your lighter. So the answer is Yes!

·
First Aid Expert
50 Posts
I agree, I own a Zippo and pretty much, if it will catch on fire and it's a liquid . . It will run a Zippo. Be careful, it might not be as safe but in a real survival situation, yeah, any flamable liquid would work . . . Yes, that includes Everclear

·
Christian Survivalist
2,632 Posts
I've used my zippo with gasoline (high octane) before. I suppose it evaporates a bit faster but yes, it does work.

FerFAL
I doubt octane helps gas evaporate quicker. From my previous career in small engine performance, the only reason why octane is added to fuels for high performance engines is because those engines have high compression pistons. Higher compression pistons do make a bigger bang, but without enough octanes, it’s possible that the fuel would ignite just a tad too early and give you a ping. That robs power. So they add octane to correct this problem. So, it would make sense to me that it wouldn’t add any evaporation properties as this would simply enhance firing which would cause a ping.

By the way, if you use Super fuel in your car that's meant to run on regular, you'll gain no performance, but possibly hinder it.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
As we all know, zippo fluid/gas/etc dries up fast. I have been wondering if I can saturate my lighter with flammable gels instead. Since gels evaporate slower, I wonder if it will make the lighter last longer when gone unused. Haven't tried it yet but I will in the next few months.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I experimented with charcoal lighter fluid in my zippo. It did work,kinda. What I found was it has a higher ignition point than zippo fluid and while I could eventually get it lit I used up flints at a prestigious rate. It would only be a consideration of mine if it really was all I could get a hold of. TP

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
As we all know, zippo fluid/gas/etc dries up fast. I have been wondering if I can saturate my lighter with flammable gels instead. Since gels evaporate slower, I wonder if it will make the lighter last longer when gone unused. Haven't tried it yet but I will in the next few months.
No you can't. The lighter works by having a liquid go up a wick. Gels cannot go up a wick.

·
Transplant
355 Posts
Gas, charcoal lighter fluid, etc. Pretty much anything flammable.

BTW, no matter how much windshield washer says it flammable, I could never light any of it on fire. ;)
I've lit washer fluid on fire. I also won 5 bucks. :thumb:

Usually the stuff you buy at the gas station is already mixed, when its concentrated (like some shops get) its a lot easier to light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts