Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've followed your discussions in here with great interest since I do plan to move to America (if I ever get lucky enough to get a Green Card, but a few of you already know that).

However, I'm entirely new to the changes you guys have had the last few years (O-Care...etc.), and there are a few points I'm unsure of and I was hoping you could answer:

1) Does everyone who live legally in America got to pay for health insurance? Is it mandatory?

2) If the answer to no#1 is YES - then: Could it be as cheap as 80$ a month or is it really as horrific as I've heard (or think I've read somewhere...) 280- 600$ each month just for ONE person in a single-person household?

I am really curious about that, and I've tried reading endless posts where everyone just goes nuts about how unfair this-and-that is, and how difficult it is to survive on the new package etc, but from someone looking from the outside (eg. Sweden) it doesn't make any sense at all, since we're used to a different system.

Here, health care is almost free, but there really is no free lunch so we pay extremely high taxes instead. :xeye: But we're not FORCED to pay for insurance...so it's not mandatory, this means you could survive for a good while in your life without becoming ruined eg. during hardships in your life (temporary unemployment etc.).

If I had to pay a mandatory 680$ per month, I'd run out of money in a few years just for paying for something I may not need, then again - I'm not on any social welfare system, I work for every cent.

Just curious, thanks for all your input. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
H
1) Does everyone who live legally in America got to pay for health insurance? Is it mandatory?

2) If the answer to no#1 is YES - then: Could it be as cheap as 80$ a month or is it really as horrific as I've heard (or think I've read somewhere...) 280- 600$ each month just for ONE person in a single-person household?

1) Theoretically, yes. If you don't buy it you get fined (I am not sure if this is true for legal resident-aliens)

2) It depends upon MANY factors including your age and the age of all insured in your family.

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
Yes, it's now mandatory to get insurance or pay a fine -- about 1% of your salary. Yes, it is expensive.

BUT if you're moving here and will have a good job, it is quite likely that you'll still have employer-funded insurance. In that case, part of the cost will/may still come out of your pay, but it will probably be much less, and usually you can cover the rest of your family for a little more. But that varies widely by job. Over here, the benefits that you get are an important part of your job/salary discussion/negotiation. One employer might offer you $10,000 more a year, but if you don't get vacation/sick days/401k matching/health care those can rapidly exceed the $10,000 annual difference.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's now mandatory to get insurance or pay a fine --
Just to cut it out in cardboard for me...

...this means that if I move to USA and have my own money, I'll have to pay insurance from day one, even if I haven't found a job yet?

It always take some time to get to know a new town, a new place...looking for the right job can take up to 2 years in my case, but I usually have money saved up from previous jobs, so much in fact that I can quite easily afford to live on my own means for a couple of years, even own my own house...but...

...a mandatory extra 600$ extra cost per month is as expensive as renting an apartment, is it really mandatory for all? That also means people who have their own money...and don't need a job right away?

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
Well, if you don't have a job, then they can't fine your income, though if you have taxable income from investments and such you may need to pay a fine based on that amount (the amount of taxable interest, that is, not the whole value of your investments).

Here is a bit of info for being in the US on a visa or green card:
I am here on a Visa OR have had a green card for less than 5 years:

You are subject to the individual mandate and related tax penalty (exempt if low income or meet specific exemptions).
You may purchase from the state insurance exchanges.
You are eligible for premium tax credits and cost-sharing reductions.
You are eligible for temporary high-risk pools and "basic health plans" offered by a state.
You do not have to wait to enroll in state insurance exchanges or to get premium tax credits.
You may seek nonemergency health services at community health centers or safety-net hospitals.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*Sigh* Even more confused... :xeye:

so, the above means that I could "perhaps" be exempt during that period I don't have a job?

I've read somewhere that even a jobless student had to pay 280$ each month with the new rules (and 80$ with the old system)? So how could I become exempt from this?

I'm just trying to prep for the worst-case-scenario, because I don't under ANY circumstances want to end up on social welfare. I've always been sort of on/off jobs because of my special nature, but I've chosen to stay away from our country's welfare system and I always save up BIG when I get good jobs, this have saved me - and I'm sitting quite pretty with my own house paid outright and everything :)

But I have to weigh all choices and take every possibility into account, that's why I ask you guys, after all - you LIVE there, I don't (yet). I guess I'm a prepper by nature.

So, here's how I think:

- I want to live in my own house in the US (if I ever get that Green Card), that way...I don't pay rent, but property taxes are high in the US, much higher than in Sweden...

- If I'm temporarily between jobs in Sweden, I don't have to pay any health insurance, and since I already own my own place, my living costs are super-low. America looked (read: LOOKED in the past), like an even better choice as it's (was, perhaps?!) easier to start up a company directly from the garage and go at it step-by-step without getting chased by the IRS all the time anyway, In Sweden...this is nearly impossible.

- If I have to pay for an expensive insurance costing perhaps 10000$...I may have to think twice about my childhood American dreams...because I can actually live quite well on 10000$ a year here in Sweden, the only reason I want to emigrate to America...is because of my childish dreams and most of my friends I grew up with was Americans...my mentality is much more American than Scandinavian.

·
Semper Vigilans
5,057 Posts
I see Health Care Co-ops? for lack of a better name.

The ones I was looking at for my Daughter are Christian Based and everyone pays in and then it pays for someone who needs care. These are much cheaper than buying the mandated coverages.

Some doctors groups have also developed a out of network ? group health where you pay a flat fee to join and then a doctor has say 200 patients who pay $1000 per year to join. This gives the Doctor the money to operate their clinic and then provide care for those patients throughout the year.

This whole thing is still so new and ever changing as they seem to only implement the parts of the law they wish to at any given time it has everyone scrambling to try and keep up with the latest mandates.

I have heard there are also a few exceptions written into the law you could qualify for.

Sorry we can't give you definitive answers yet, we are all still trying to figure out what it all means ourselves. We just know that everyone who earns a decent living have had their costs go up 30-70% for insurance.

Hopefully in the next year or two we will have a better idea of the full ramifications of this Law that Pelosi and Reid said we need to pass before we read.

Good Luck!

Be Prepared, :)
OBW

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just move to Canada.Bigger country,1/10`th the population.Best health care in the world for $28 a month.Best fishing and hunting too.
As an America I would love to ship you guys half of our black population and half of our Hispanic population.

On one hand I am very jealous that you guys are able to control your immigration and illegal immigration.

On the other hand it really makes you guys look racist.

Plus, your severely rationed health care is a concern. I guess that's why so many Canadians come to America for better health care.

·
Semper Vigilans
5,057 Posts
Just move to Canada.Bigger country,1/10`th the population.Best health care in the world for $28 a month.Best fishing and hunting too.
I believe that is a very misleading statement when you take into account the amount you have to pay in additional taxes to supplement your "Free" healthcare.
:rolleyes:

I am always amazed by the idiocy of people who believe that ANYTHING from the Government is "FREE"
it's NOT FREE, it was stolen from someone else if you aren't paying for it either directly or through taxation.

Be Prepared,
OBW

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe that is a very misleading statement when you take into account the amount you have to pay in additional taxes to supplement your "Free" healthcare.
:rolleyes:

I am always amazed by the idiocy of people who believe that ANYTHING from the Government is "FREE"
it's NOT FREE, it was stolen from someone else if you aren't paying for it either directly or through taxation.

Be Prepared,
OBW
Cut him some slack, he is Canadian and until recently they had government controlled and dominated media that fed their warped minds.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,970 Posts
Hi there,

I've followed your discussions in here with great interest since I do plan to move to America (if I ever get lucky enough to get a Green Card, but a few of you already know that).

However, I'm entirely new to the changes you guys have had the last few years (O-Care...etc.), and there are a few points I'm unsure of and I was hoping you could answer:

While it is now illegal in the United States to go without health insurance, it is not unlawful. The two concepts are radically different.

"Legality" refers to the rules of privileges voluntarily entered into by people in return for forfeiting their rights.

"Lawfulness" refers to whether or not an activity falls within the scope of rights.

A law that violates the Constitution is not a law, and when rights are at stake, "shall" reverts in its meaning to "may."

I don't have health insurance, do not have an exemption, and refuse to pay a fine.

It can be as cheap overall as the market will bear, but as cheap for you as the HHS secretary and Congress decide to make it by stealing the difference from other people and hiding that's fact from you.

I am really curious about that, and I've tried reading endless posts where everyone just goes nuts about how unfair this-and-that is, and how difficult it is to survive on the new package etc, but from someone looking from the outside (eg. Sweden) it doesn't make any sense at all, since we're used to a different system.

Here, health care is almost free, but there really is no free lunch so we pay extremely high taxes instead. :xeye: But we're not FORCED to pay for insurance...so it's not mandatory, this means you could survive for a good while in your life without becoming ruined eg. during hardships in your life (temporary unemployment etc.).

If I had to pay a mandatory 680$ per month, I'd run out of money in a few years just for paying for something I may not need, then again - I'm not on any social welfare system, I work for every cent.

Just curious, thanks for all your input. :)
It makes no sense at all. If you actually do understand it, and it seems reasonable, you likely need psychiatric care.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Right now insurance is a mess and nobody knows what it is doing.

I just got off the phone with my Mom in California: she says that the state of Oregon has not yet been able to sign up anybody for the new insurance because they cannot get their computer site going. People are paying high premiums in some states but low premiums on others.

My nephew has not signed up for any insurance though he will be fined for it, because he wants the government to actually get things working well before he signs up.

By this time next year there will be some real answers for your questions, but right nobody is sure of very much.

·
Semper Vigilans
5,057 Posts
Cut him some slack, he is Canadian and until recently they had government controlled and dominated media that fed their warped minds.
I don't mean him any ill will, just merely pointing out facts.

And that is different from the US how?

And you say Until Recently?
Does that mean the Canadian Government now allows a more free system of news reporting?

I'm asking, not being sarcastic as I don't know anything about the Canadian Media.

Be Prepared,
OBW

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Hi there,

Here, health care is almost free, but there really is no free lunch so we pay extremely high taxes instead.
There is this perception that America has low taxes, which just isn't the case.

We suffer from the death of a thousand taxes, none of which is fatal, but collectively, well let's just say Canadian mosquitoes can't suck half as much blood.

We get taxed on EVERYTHING, you can't pay your light bill without 2 different taxes on it, your phone bill has at least 2 taxes on it, one from the era when phones weren't out in rural areas, and it was put on to send service out there, guess what? You still pay it. Somewhere there is a supposedly humorous list of all the different taxes that you are subject to here, except that it is real.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but trust me, Y'all don't have a thing on the blood sucking ability of vampires in this country.

As has been said, eventually we will fix it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts