Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Alex, and I am new here... I am seeking for a new backpack and my question is what's better!?!? I live in Israel, and didn't have a clue about ALICE and MOLLEE until a month ago.. we don't have this stuff here, so if i want to get one of thous i will need to order it from US.

please help me to choose a backpack, i am looking for something about *45-55liters capacity. *hydration system compatible. *the more outer pockets and store space the better. *good for long distance walking. *waterproof or rain covered. *durable. for about 100$-150$ includes shipping...

or maybe I need to get one of thous commercial backpacks here, and that's all?!

thanks for helping out

p.s.
sorry for my English, its not my native language... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Alice

I used the ALICE pack for 8 years under Uncle Sam. While it is as rugged as you'd like, comfort is a big issue here when talking about hiking great distances. Storage is at a premium, however it does not have a pocket for a hydration bladder. Might I suggest any of the great bags/packs from Maxpedition.com. (No, I am not a seller or rep) I use this pack daily for work and wilderness. Take a look. I think you will be pleased.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link but those backpacks seems pretty small and costy for me, my question is what's better? the only minus in ALICE backpacks is the fact it has no pocket for hydration system!? and how about the metal frame it hangs on!? it looks pretty nasty... compared to the commercial backpacks...

oh, whats that all MOLLEE madness? the only thing in those packs is the fact it has these webbing, but why would i need to hang a M16mag pouch on the back of my backpack for extra space while i can save the money i pay for this trend and buy a normal pack with a similar pouch attached to it!? or i just missed the point!?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the link but those backpacks seems pretty small and costy for me, my question is what's better? the only minus in ALICE backpacks is the fact it has no pocket for hydration system!? and how about the metal frame it hangs on!? it looks pretty nasty... compared to the commercial backpacks...

oh, whats that all MOLLEE madness? the only thing in those packs is the fact it has these webbing, but why would i need to hang a M16mag pouch on the back of my backpack for extra space while i can save the money i pay for this trend and buy a normal pack with a similar pouch attached to it!? or i just missed the point!?
I would have thought surplus from the Isreali army would be some choice gear!

ALICE packs are good gear bro. I dont know how much the one in the link was going for, but they should be able to be bought for within the price range you quoted.

What ALICE packs have going for them is that they are very well built and reliable, and have been tested and battle proven time and time again over the years. They dont have a hydration means as you pointed out but thats easy enough to compensate for for most people. You can attach two 2 quart canteens to them, or use a LCE and carry 1 quarts, or stuff a 2 quart or other bladder with water into the pack, how ever you like. Personally I have a 2 quart attached to mine, and I also use a 2 quart with its carrying strap I wear around my shoulder as well at times. The ALICE packs come in two sizes, medium and large. I rather the large, and believe me you can stuff alot of gear into those things. The more you use it, the better you get at packing your gear and such.

MOLLE packs seem to commonly have some sort of a hydration system rigged with them. The benefit to MOLLE packs is that you can customize them however you want. As you pointed out you can attach other bags to them. This is nice because sometimes you may just need your basic MOLLE ruck with nothing else attached, and other times you can practically double your carrying capacity if need be, with the attachments you add to it. And its up to you to attach them where you want and what ever type of extra bag you want depepdning on your situation.

ALICE packs can also have several other bags attached to them as well at certain locations, but the MOLLE ones are alot more generous in their offerings.

As for the ALICE frames, they really are not as bad as they look. Millions of soldiers have used them over the years. They are rugged and dependable and fairly light. You can always customize them to make them more comofrtable by chaning out the kidney pads and/ or shoulder straps to allow more comfort if you need to. Personally I have never had a problem with the regular issue frame and straps, and many times carried in excess of 70 lbs. for miles thru thick woods on my back using them.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have thought surplus from the Isreali army would be some choice gear!

ALICE packs are good gear bro. I dont know how much the one in the link was going for, but they should be able to be bought for within the price range you quoted.

What ALICE packs have going for them is that they are very well built and reliable, and have been tested and battle proven time and time again over the years. They dont have a hydration means as you pointed out but thats easy enough to compensate for for most people. You can attach two 2 quart canteens to them, or use a LCE and carry 1 quarts, or stuff a 2 quart or other bladder with water into the pack, how ever you like. Personally I have a 2 quart attached to mine, and I also use a 2 quart with its carrying strap I wear around my shoulder as well at times. The ALICE packs come in two sizes, medium and large. I rather the large, and believe me you can stuff alot of gear into those things. The more you use it, the better you get at packing your gear and such.

MOLLE packs seem to commonly have some sort of a hydration system rigged with them. The benefit to MOLLE packs is that you can customize them however you want. As you pointed out you can attach other bags to them. This is nice because sometimes you may just need your basic MOLLE ruck with nothing else attached, and other times you can practically double your carrying capacity if need be, with the attachments you add to it. And its up to you to attach them where you want and what ever type of extra bag you want depepdning on your situation.

ALICE packs can also have several other bags attached to them as well at certain locations, but the MOLLE ones are alot more generous in their offerings.

As for the ALICE frames, they really are not as bad as they look. Millions of soldiers have used them over the years. They are rugged and dependable and fairly light. You can always customize them to make them more comofrtable by chaning out the kidney pads and/ or shoulder straps to allow more comfort if you need to. Personally I have never had a problem with the regular issue frame and straps, and many times carried in excess of 70 lbs. for miles thru thick woods on my back using them.
Look, about IDF surplus there are two main problems... first of all, there is no surplus... the IDF is pretty poor army and any gear that we have, we use!

secondly.. the IDF don't issue backpacks ALICE sized, we don't have use for it... i believe some special forces working behind enemy lines do have some kind of nonstandard packs, but the stuff we have don't worth too much. (we do pack for 2-5 days, but minimal equip and not for long hikes)...

anyway, if i put you on a choice: ALICE pack or Commercial pack... lets say north face or salewa, what do you choose?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i would say get yourself a good used alice pack (medium or large they're both good, size is personal pref) for $30 or $40 then send it to tacticaltailor.com (no i'm not a rep or salesman) to get it upgraded. they can do just about anything you want to an alice pack. internal hydro bladder pouch, extra pouches on the outside, molle panels on the sides, new straps and kidney pads, storm flaps for all the pouches, zippers on the rto pouch, reinforced stress points,bottom extension, you name it. they even make upgraded versions of the alice with all the bells and whistles in multicam. the mulitcam versions is a little expensive for my taste and to get all the stuff i would get is gonna cost you a little over a $100. but you were talking about spending between $100-$150 anyway and this way you get the best of both worlds.

·
Deeds of Flesh
45 Posts
i would say get yourself a good used alice pack (medium or large they're both good, size is personal pref) for $30 or $40 then send it to tacticaltailor.com (no i'm not a rep or salesman) to get it upgraded. they can do just about anything you want to an alice pack. internal hydro bladder pouch, extra pouches on the outside, molle panels on the sides, new straps and kidney pads, storm flaps for all the pouches, zippers on the rto pouch, reinforced stress points,bottom extension, you name it. they even make upgraded versions of the alice with all the bells and whistles in multicam. the mulitcam versions is a little expensive for my taste and to get all the stuff i would get is gonna cost you a little over a $100. but you were talking about spending between $100-$150 anyway and this way you get the best of both worlds.
Thanks that's great advice. I am having the same problems deciding on a pack, and you just gave me an idea I never would have thought of. I was leaning ALICE already but you just sealed it. Thank you.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Snugpak makes some interesting packs. I dont own one, but know some people that do, they like them. I want to get the Rocket pack for myself. I own some other snugpak gear, so far its been good. Ive only had it for a year or so, not long enough to see how it is over the long haul.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks both for the original question and for everyones good reviews and such I am about to set sail in search of my first and camping pack and I revieved a lot of information from this one forum alone. Thank yall

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
I'm not sure about the Liter size conversion but I like the Camelback BFM. It's about the biggest sized hydration pack Camelback makes along with having some MOLLE attachment points.

And it's got more pockets and inner pouches than a pool table.

It may push the $150 price limit but at times I've seen sales online for less.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I began my backpacking life with a medium ALICE when I was first introduced to it in my college’s Army ROTC program a little over a decade ago. Back then the only backpack I had ever used was a Jansport school bag, so I really had nothing to compare the ALICE to. Back then I thought it was the coolest, high speed bag I had ever seen. My roommate and I, both military nuts, were in the same program and often spent hours playing with our packs to see how much gear we could cram into it. Throughout our couple years in the ROTC program, those little packs were humped all over the Appalachian Mountains (where our college was located) in various weekend long field training exercises. These packs held up like a champ after being kicked, dropped, thrown, sat on, and rolled into the thick underbrush. No one ever told me that ALICE packs were “supposed” to be uncomfortable. Promptly after my freshman year was over and I had to turn my gear in for summer storage I went out and bought my own medium ALICE for $20. Over the years I have gone through many different civilian packs made by Kelty, Jansport, and Eberlestock, but my use for them is often short lived. The medium ALICE has always been far more useful to me when out in the boonies. In fact, I have it sitting in my vehicle right now, set up as a sort of “get home bag”.

What has always kept me coming back to this pack is the shear durability for the price, combined with being able to strap down external loads in almost any configuration. Higher priced packs that I have used have always left me a bit concerned that when the going gets tough I might damage one of them. I must admit that after trying some other packs that I have found them more comfortable, but there are plenty of upgrades of the ALICE pack to increase its comfort.

The HSGI AliPad is one such device that I now use on my medium ALICE and love it. It’s a bit costly at $85, but it is worth every penny. The AliPad is a complete padding system that covers the entire standard issue shoulder straps and kidney pads, in addition to providing extra comfort across the back and protecting the neck from the metal frame. It also sports two zippered pouches for hydration bladders or soft gear. Here’s a link to it:

http://www.optactical.com/alipad.html

Tactical Tailor also provides various upgrades, such as thicker and wider shoulder straps and waist belts. They also will modify the packs and equip them with extra pouches and MOLLE webbing. I’ve been considering the purchase of their waist belt and shoulder pads with the eventual idea of having it equipped with MOLLE on the sides for increased versatility. Here’s a link to their modification page:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/ruckmods.aspx

Now the large ALICE can be a bit of a bear to haul around because the pack sticks far out from your back, affecting your balance. If fully loaded down I always have to lean forward a bit to stabilize myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I remember my army days when we went on a "ruck" march. They are definitely tough packs and i wouldnt hesitate to use one again. damn good pack for the money. I guess my fault is i want to try something new..lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
There's a guy on youtube who's switched to a tactical vest for his easy carry - endless pockets and a hydration backpack. worth looking into. you can always throw an alice or mollie over the hydration and strap a few more pockets around - as if you need them.
worth layering and you know it'll be on you - even if you drop your primary backpack...
Cheers :)

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, I found a great 90 liters IDF special forces gear backpack! but two problems with that, it will be unfortunate if some MP will see me with that backpack... and the second its just HUGE, not for 3-5 days... more like 10-eternity backpacking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts