Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few years now, we have been told that the H5N1 virus is coming(having infected 385 people and killed 243 of them since 2003), and at any moment can mutate into a stain that will kill hundreds of millions of people.

Today we have been told about an new one(H9N2), that is an even more virulent virus, that is closer to mutating.
--------------------------------------------------
Note: All of these 243 deaths, have been in the same part of the world, that the Olympics are now taking place in.

What interesting timing, when thousands of people will be boarding planes, and flying home, to all over the world?!?!?!

·
Registered
428 Posts
We have our own "superviruses" here in the US that have made it out of the hospitals and into the general population and killed many citizens. Apparently they are easily transferred in places such as locker rooms or gymnasiums.

A friend of mine recently died from what may have been one of these superviruses - but the hospital never said definitively what killed him. He had health problems prior to that. But it presented itself as what he thought was a spider bite on his leg. Could've been that too - but we don't have that many really venomous spiders here and I've been told that supervirus infection will present itself similarly to a spider-bite.

This is all just what they'd call "heresay" in court though - I don't have any bonfide facts to back this up...

·
Protector
591 Posts
Again! get some fish antibiotics,they are safe and effective and cheap+no prescription.try petsupplies4less.com :D:
ex. fish mox forte

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
One level of disaster preparedness should be preparing for epidemics. They are more likely than you might expect and the added benefit of preparing is that even a localized one - as in Major Ass Kicking Flu at Your House will be covered.

When I say epidemic, I mean anything from the Influenza of 1918 when millions died to just a bad winter bug that makes you miss a few days of work or school.

I added epidemics to my list after a bout of stomach flu that actually left me 12lbs lighter - I thought all my insides were going to come out one end or the other (sorry to be graphic - yuk:eek:) But that experience got me thinking about practical things I would need for next time.

I now have a part of my pantry dedicated to illness emergencies from minor to major. Gatorade (hydration), cans of chicken soup (The White Man's Tribal Medicine :)), various painkillers and over-the-counter medicines (which I rotate), masks and gloves and hand sanitizer.

Part of our home remodel includes the option to quarantine the sick person. Both my DH's office and my office will contain sofa beds and we will each have our own bathroom.

The most important thing is to try to stay healthier than everyone else - eat right, exercise, supplements if necessary. Wash your hands, be vigilant of gross people around you while away from home and be in tune with your own body (WANT to be healthy!).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi 2PreparedCats

I appreciate your suggestions.

(But don’t forget surgical type masks, to ware when you have go out into the general population.)

I found some good ones on ebay.
You also said.......
“The most important thing is to try to stay healthier than everyone else - eat right, exercise, supplements if necessary. Wash your hands, be vigilant of gross people around you while away from home and be in tune with your own body (WANT to be healthy!).”
Well, I have done some investigation on this bird flu stuff, that is coming, and here is what I have learned.

Almost everyone who dies from it, are healthy people, between the ages of 15 and 35:
This is also how it was back in 1918. (Babies and old people, get it and live!)

The reason for this, is because our bodies don’t recognize this strain of flu, and go all out to fight it. (Therefore our own immune systems, is what kills us!)

A while back, my wife was prescribed some RX that had a side effect of, weakening your immune system, but she never took it.
We have it put back, and when this stuff hits, and starts getting close to us, we will both take it!

·
Fashionably Prepared
78 Posts
:( Well that's disturbing.

And actually there are plenty of things that will get you regardless of good health - all my running and eating right and living clean did not stop cancer from invading my body.

Ever since that experience, I temper my clean living with good wine and quality ice cream! :upsidedown:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi crankyfarmer

Sorry to hear about your uncle.
Here is what Wikipedia says.......
Spanish flu
The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that was first found in the United States, appeared in Sierra Leone and France, and then spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually severe and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Many of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients. The Spanish flu lasted from March 1918 to June 1920,[1] spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 20 to 100 million people were killed worldwide, or the approximate equivalent of one third of the population of Europe
Nobody is saying that every child or old person will survive it, but just that it is a different kind of flu, that mainly kills, the most healthy.

·
Protector
591 Posts
Yeah I know, I suggested it merely as a medical prep in general, as many common diseases will run rampant in shtf.:rolleyes:a lack of good nutrition and bad weather/good medical care etc could make common illnesses for all intents and purposes take on the widespread severity of a pandemic not to mention cuts and scratches.dental probs etc.I think these things are much more likely and problematic than a pandemic.a good wide spectrum would be a life saver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts