Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shtf seems to be a blanket term. like it knows no boundry, it is indiscriminate among its victims.

However, is a prepper subject to a shtf senario? assuming he or she prepped? how can a person who prepped EVER consider any situation a shtf situation?

a prepped person should be shtf proof if you will. therefore is incapable of being complicated by a specific event that was prepped for.

therefor, only nonpreppers can be in a shtf event.

I hope I made sense.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,779 Posts
Was there navel contemplation involved in this?

Actually it did make sense, kinda, more or less.
:D: I was thinking ... it was hard ... and it worries me that it did, actually make some sense. Does this mean that those of us who are only partially prepared are outsiders to both worlds?

·
9,779 Posts
I'm gonna thank him anyway, just 'cause he's so darn cute.
:D: Ohhhh, a cute one ... well in that case I will have to thank him also!

ETA: and because I feel guilty for giving him a hard time ...

I truly believe that no one can ever be prepared for every single possible SHTF possibility. Therefore I believe that you should prepare for the most likely problems (in my case, tornados and ice storms and the collapse of the American economy -- egads!!) and give the rest to God ...

Yeah, I am a bit of a kook but I have been on this earth long enough now to be able to take advantage of my own little mental health issues from time to time and blame it on my age! LOL

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:D: Ohhhh, a cute one ... well in that case I will have to thank him also!

ETA: and because I feel guilty for giving him a hard time ...

I truly believe that no one can ever be prepared for every single possible SHTF possibility. Therefore I believe that you should prepare for the most likely problems (in my case, tornados and ice storms and the collapse of the American economy -- egads!!) and give the rest to God ...

Yeah, I am a bit of a kook but I have been on this earth long enough now to be able to take advantage of my own little mental health issues from time to time and blame it on my age! LOL
that raises another question about the reason to prep if you believe that there are some things out of your control.

like if there are a million things that can happen, how much of a different is 999,999 things? why prep at all if there will ALWAYS be a good chance you won't be prepared if something were to arise because of the broad aspect of the topic?

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'd still be in a SHTF situation, but the metaphorical S would be on your metaphorical umbrella instead of on you.
what if I had no clothes and it was winter. that would be a shtf situation right? but since I wear warm clothes when I go out in the winter (umbrella) I don't need to worry about it. does the shtf event still exist?

·
Registered
82 Posts
some prepping measures cover a broad spectrum of issues that may arise, since the human body needs certain things to survive, regardless of environment or situation (water, food, etc).
as for the original question, of course a prepper could be involved in shtf- just 'cause one is prepping, doesn't mean he or she is prepared. it's a work in progress (a never ending one it seems). but i agree with you on the next part- a person who can be considered 'prepped' shouldn't be affected by a major scenario, except by the people themselves that weren't. of course by that token, a 'prepped' person WOULD therefore be affected by shtf and oh no i've gone crosseyed...

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
some prepping measures cover a broad spectrum of issues that may arise, since the human body needs certain things to survive, regardless of environment or situation (water, food, etc).
as for the original question, of course a prepper could be involved in shtf- just 'cause one is prepping, doesn't mean he or she is prepared. it's a work in progress (a never ending one it seems). but i agree with you on the next part- a person who can be considered 'prepped' shouldn't be affected by a major scenario, except by the people themselves that weren't. of course by that token, a 'prepped' person WOULD therefore be affected by shtf and oh no i've gone crosseyed...
well lets not discuss being prepared for an event like a lottery. assume that you prepped for the shtf event completely. you lost power for a month for instance and you have a generator and 2 months of gas to run it. is that person in a shtf scenario? I don't think they are.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
a prepper can be in a shtf scenario, they will just weather it better.
a shtf scenario is anything that could be life threatening, disruptive of your comfort, safety or health, and it could be financial.
Just because you are prepared doesn't mean that your normal life or life style won't be disrupted, uncomfortable or dangerous in an emergency. For instance; if you have prepared for shtf and you loose your job, it is still a bad situation. You may weather it better than a non prepper, but it will still have a huge impact on your life. A flood will still be a danger if you have prepped, but you may be able to eat while the water is rising or be able to afford a hotel room to stay in, OR you heard the flood was coming and g.o.o.d....but you still are facing a shtf situation.

·
9,779 Posts
that raises another question about the reason to prep if you believe that there are some things out of your control.

like if there are a million things that can happen, how much of a different is 999,999 things? why prep at all if there will ALWAYS be a good chance you won't be prepared if something were to arise because of the broad aspect of the topic?
That is a lazy person's way out if you ask me. Like I said, I prepare for what I consider to be my most pressing matters. NO ONE can be totally prepared for every single possible scenario. So, you do what you can and give the rest to God. :)

However, for each possible scenario I am prepared for that makes one less SHTF situation for me. It might be difficult to get through, but it will not be impossible. Hence the difference ... being prepared is a lifestyle choice, not a chore I can do and then forget about.

·
Registered
310 Posts
shtf seems to be a blanket term. like it knows no boundry, it is indiscriminate among its victims.

However, is a prepper subject to a shtf senario? assuming he or she prepped? how can a person who prepped EVER consider any situation a shtf situation?

a prepped person should be shtf proof if you will. therefore is incapable of being complicated by a specific event that was prepped for.

therefor, only nonpreppers can be in a shtf event.

I hope I made sense.
No, not much sense, though another acronym might help you out. WROL, meaning "Without Rule of Law", seems a better way of understanding things. Rule of law offers you certain things like SWAT Teams, supply chains and crews that service nuclear power plants.

Maybe, for the best "preppers", the loss of capabilities might be marginal in a WROL scenario, but the vast majority of people, no matter how much they prep, can't come close to matching the support they have with rule of law in place.

·
Registered
82 Posts
a prepper can be in a shtf scenario, they will just weather it better.
a shtf scenario is anything that could be life threatening, disruptive of your comfort, safety or health, and it could be financial.
Just because you are prepared doesn't mean that your normal life or life style won't be disrupted, uncomfortable or dangerous in an emergency. For instance; if you have prepared for shtf and you loose your job, it is still a bad situation. You may weather it better than a non prepper, but it will still have a huge impact on your life. A flood will still be a danger if you have prepped, but you may be able to eat while the water is rising or be able to afford a hotel room to stay in, OR you heard the flood was coming and g.o.o.d....but you still are facing a shtf situation.
but if you were to be considered 'prepared', once you lost your job, you'd just go to your other one, since you're prepared for it. if you were to be considered 'prepared' for a flood, you wouldn't be affected by it (house on stilts, moat with overflow pump, giant-ass waterproof walls, etc). the philosophical question is if you were 'prepared', would you be affected? would you notice?
on the flip side, just because you're prepared for a cut on your finger with a bandaid, doesn't mean you don't get that cut in the first place. you're still cut.

edit: but could a flood be considered a flood if you're 'prepared' and didn't get flooded?

·
9,779 Posts
but if you were to be considered 'prepared', once you lost your job, you'd just go to your other one, since you're prepared for it. if you were to be considered 'prepared' for a flood, you wouldn't be affected by it (house on stilts, moat with overflow pump, giant-ass waterproof walls, etc). the philosophical question is if you were 'prepared', would you be affected? would you notice?
on the flip side, just because you're prepared for a cut on your finger with a bandaid, doesn't mean you don't get that cut in the first place. you're still cut.

edit: ooh ooh- but could a flood be considered a flood if you're 'prepared' and didn't get flooded?

How could you not notice if your house was flooded?? or any number of other scenarios that could be brought up? Anything outside your normal existence can be considered a SHTF issue if it disrupts your life severely enough. The loss of a job for someone who prepared for that issue would be less life-threatening that for someone who did not prepare for it, but it would still be disruptive to your normal, every day routine would it not??

·
Registered
82 Posts
How could you not notice if your house was flooded?? or any number of other scenarios that could be brought up? Anything outside your normal existence can be considered a SHTF issue if it disrupts your life severely enough. The loss of a job for someone who prepared for that issue would be less life-threatening that for someone who did not prepare for it, but it would still be disruptive to your normal, every day routine would it not??
i think that is the exact question- if you were 'prepared', your life wouldn't be disrupted (although everyone else's would), and therefore could it really be considered shtf?

·
Registered
82 Posts
(back to the flood scenario) i suppose it would depend on your definition of "prepared", too. Prepared with what-to-do in case of a flood? or prepared for the flood itself (house on a hill/mound far above the floodplane, for another example)?

oh we're havin' fun now! :D:

·
Registered
82 Posts
well lets not discuss being prepared for an event like a lottery. assume that you prepped for the shtf event completely. you lost power for a month for instance and you have a generator and 2 months of gas to run it. is that person in a shtf scenario? I don't think they are.
having 2 months worth of power from a generator wouldn't be considered losing power though, would it? i would imagine the 'power loss' scenario would be when the gas runs out. THEN the shtf scenario is in effect. :thumb:

·
9,779 Posts
i think that is the exact question- if you were 'prepared', your life wouldn't be disrupted (although everyone else's would), and therefore could it really be considered shtf?
Exactly ... I personally believe that it would be considered shtf ... just less so for the prepared than the unprepared.

Just because you can't prepare for every single event that may occur doesn't mean that you shouldn't prepare for events that could very likely occur ... And that is the difference in members of this board that I have met and the general public ... :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.