Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a recent post on post SHTF infection, which made me consider cleanliness. Like many others I store gallons of bleach, but how long will a few gallons last, and how much room do I want to allocate for bleach storage? Well I found a way to store 640 gallons of bleach in about 1 cubic foot of space.

http://www.thefoodguys.com/howtoclorox.htm

How to Make Chlorine Bleach from Pool Shock

Straight off the EPA site...

We bought a 5 lb. bottle of "Shock" from Walmart for $10.97, you can find it in the pool chemical section. Make sure that it is the "Calcium Hypochlorite" not the "Sodium". MAKE SURE IT HAS NO OTHER ADDITIVES!!!!!!!!!!!

This 5 lb. bottle makes 640 gallons of "stock chlorine" (eliminates purchasing 640 gallons of bleach). Each of these 640 gallons of stock chlorine disinfects 200 gallons of water. For a total of 128,000 gallons of clean drinking water for the cost of one bottle of "Shock". And think of the space it'll save.

Directions are at http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/faq/emerg.html or as follows:

GRANULAR CALCIUM HYPOCHLORITE.

Add and dissolve one heaping teaspoon of high-test granular calcium hypochlorite (approximately 1/4 ounce) for each two gallons of water. The mixture will produce a "stock chlorine" solution of approximately 500 mg/L, since the calcium hypochlorite has an available cchlorine equal to 70
percent of its weight. (THESE STOCK CHLORINE GALLONS ARE LIKE BLEACH GALLONS)

To disinfect water, add the clorine solution in the ratio of one part of chlorine solution to each 100 parts of water to be treated. This is roughly equal to adding 1 pint (16 0z.) of stock chlorine to each 12.5 gallons of water to be disinfected. To remove any objectionable chlorine odor, aerate the water by allowing the water to stand exposed to the air for a few hours
or by pouring it from one clean container to another several times.

As always if the water is colored or cloudy add more of the solution (EPA says for regular Chlorine Bleach to double the amount of chlorine used).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just saw a video on youtube about this yesterday. It was on the "yankeeprepper" channel. This is new information to me, so I guess I'll be haunting the pool supply aisle at WongMart this spring when they put the chemicals out. Good info to have.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can post that vid on this thread i would appreciate it. It seems to me that this is probably one of the most useful supplies to own, and in a post SHTF world you could do well trading bleach lol.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all over for the vid. If anyone else has a vid of making bleach please add it. I know the directions are pretty self explanatory, but a vid never hurts.

·
Registered
461 Posts
WOW great stuff. I could even carry a small amount in a jar in the bob. Sure beats the MSR Miox which pretty much makes bleach in tiny amounts. I plan on picking some up ASAP. Now what about all these gallons of bleach i have stored anyone have any ideas? maybe i can return them to wall-mart in trade for some Shock?

·
You're no daisy
1,309 Posts
Fantastic thanks for sharing!

I've been checking out some of YankeePreppers other youtube videos, good stuff just watched the one about using a sprouter!

·
Mean Old Lady
156 Posts
Wow! This is too easy. I have often looked at those boxes, but dismissed them as probably being noxious somehow...just never looked. Thanks for bringing this up!

I've found out the hard way that bottles of Chlorine Bleach from the store, even when the seal is intact, do not survive more than a year or two in a non-climate controlled environment - and often collapse the plastic bottle completely in the process of evaporating.

This changes the whole equation!

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Wow, what a great idea.

Keeping it in seperate, heavy containers would be important to prevent contamination might be a great idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What about lithium chlorinating granulars(from Solutions Spa)? I saw some at a store tonight while looking for the other.....and it is on sale for $4 good size container.

·
Gone Galt
22,534 Posts
Excellent!

I'm working out a set of empty containers to keep with this to aid in mixing/transport/ and storage.

Maybe (2) for mixing/storing the bleach solution, and then a few storage containers to store air out the purified water - plus small containers to use to measure out the mix and the bleach solution. Just store those containers with this and BAM.

NO REASON to not have this tucked away somewhere.

Thanks!

(With capacity of 120,000 gallons - you could probably barter off some teaspoon baggies of this stuff as well. - just store a few boxes of baggies)

·
strikes to the left
1,397 Posts
I'm just dropping in to say thanks to the OP and the one who posted the video. Well, thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts