Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much quit going to the doctor back in the 90's. I've always been fairly healthy, but when I hit 40, I noticed I was bouncing back a little slower than I had been only ten years ago. Last weekend my buddy's wife turned 40 and it took me until Tuesday to fully recover from that bash.

An acquaintance of mine is an herbalist and got me going on some natural remedies to stave off the effects of aging.

Me being me, I took it a step farther and decided that when AHBL, I want to be able to produce all the things necessary to supplement my diet. (beans and rice or tomorrow's special, rice and beans)

I've prepped for a small herb garden to not be at the mercy of what will grow wild.

Medicinal Herbs: A Complete Guide for North American Herb Gardeners
Patricia Turcotte

Some plants are going to be available growing wild near your BOL, so you should know what is there.

For that, you'll want the following reference

The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to New World Medicinal Plants

or

The Book of Herbal Wisdom

Both by Matthew Wood

Now that you know what's available, you'll need to know what it's all good for. A book you should have is

The Complete Guide to Herbal Medecines
Charles W. Fetrow Pharm. D.
Juan R, Avila Pharm. D.

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
Thanks for a pointer in the right direction.

I've wondered about the such, and what to use as an alternative, or in a bad scenario.

Taken to planting some garlic and onion in the field to have on hand, but didn't have direction. ;)

/appreciated, and useful.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,347 Posts
I pretty much quit going to the doctor back in the 90's. I've always been fairly healthy, but when I hit 40, I noticed I was bouncing back a little slower than I had been only ten years ago. Last weekend my buddy's wife turned 40 and it took me until Tuesday to fully recover from that bash.

An acquaintance of mine is an herbalist and got me going on some natural remedies to stave off the effects of aging.

Me being me, I took it a step farther and decided that when AHBL, I want to be able to produce all the things necessary to supplement my diet. (beans and rice or tomorrow's special, rice and beans)

I've prepped for a small herb garden to not be at the mercy of what will grow wild.

Medicinal Herbs: A Complete Guide for North American Herb Gardeners
Patricia Turcotte

Some plants are going to be available growing wild near your BOL, so you should know what is there.

For that, you'll want the following reference

The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to New World Medicinal Plants

or

The Book of Herbal Wisdom

Both by Matthew Wood

Now that you know what's available, you'll need to know what it's all good for. A book you should have is

The Complete Guide to Herbal Medecines
Charles W. Fetrow Pharm. D.
Juan R, Avila Pharm. D.
Sorry---but most herbal remedies are scientifically unproven to be effective, based on biased or hearsay results, and basically useless. I advise reading this excellent article:

https://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/the-myths-of-herbal-medicine/

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm always looking for info on herbal use and remedies from what herbs I myself can produce. So many times remedies include herbs that must be imported.
I will check these books out. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts