Survivalist Forum banner
4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  jeremym27 
#1 ·
I have been learning about couponing so that I can maximize my money allocated to preps. I've dabbled in it about a month and decided to get serious about it.

So my plan was to find a good food for prepping and load up on them for as little cost as possible. Specifically, I purchased 80 cans of Progresso soup for $.63 a piece. I was able to do this by combining coupons with a local grocery store sale price.

It takes some research to identify the best deals. Since I've already done that I figured I'd share it with the forum and let everyone else have a crack at it.

Here is how it worked.

1. I went to this website http://www.thecouponclippers.com/coupons/search.php?mode=search and ordered 20 coupons for Progresso soup. The coupon is good for $1 off four cans

2. Once the coupons arrived I went to the Shaw's grocery store which was having a sale on these items for $.88 a can.

3. I found an employee who was stocking shelves and asked them to bring up 6 cases (of 12) out for me.

4. I was a bit nervous when I checked out, but the total came to approximately $180 before they applied by store membership card bringing the price down from $1.99 a can to the $.88 sales price. Then I handed the cashier 20 coupons bringing the total price down to $50.40.

Since I spent $2.40 on the coupons and another $1.30 on shipping/handling, my total was $53.90 for 80 cans of soup!

I've done my research for next week's purchases. The best item I could find is for Soyjoy nutrition bars. My local Shaw's has them on sale by one get one free. I purchased 60 of these coupons http://www.thecouponclippers.com/coupons/search.php?mode=search that are if you buy two you get one free. So, for every bar I buy I get two for free. They are on sale for $1 each, so I will get 180 of these for $60.

Good luck!

Jeremym27

See less See more
#4 ·
Shaw's is the local grocery store here in MA. There was nothing special about the fact that it was Shaw's this would work anywhere that has a good sale price on these items.

Clearly, I would rather have free coupons as well. However, I'm not aware of how to get free coupons other than in the mail and the newspaper (which isn't free).

Besides, I'm looking to build up my stores quickly, so having 2 or 3 coupons just wouldn't cut it for me. This is a quick way to save 66% on a staple for my food inventory.

#9 ·
That's been my sticking point also. I could never get enough coupons. A single coupon for 50 cents off just isn't any help. I really appreciate your explanation and showing us the source. I've been wanting to get more involved too, but I kept running into stumbling blocks.

#6 ·
most of the good coupons are in the sunday paper.if your in a semi small town and you shop a local conv store.get to know the cashier.this is what i do any way they always have sunday papers left over,get her or him to pull the sales paper out,they usually throw them away anyway.this is what i do and i end up with anywhere between 5 and 10 xtra coupons for what i want to buy.:cool:

#8 ·
When times were a little tougher we were really into couponing. We would go get 3 or 4 sunday papers and cut out all the coupons and organize them. Even if we didn't need that particular item at the time or a brand we liked we kept them.

A local grocer at the time would do double or triple coupons at the time up to a certain limit. It would take hours for us to go through the store. we would look at each item we had a coupon for. With the triple or double coupons some items were completely free or almost free. Even if we didn't need it, if it was free or very very very cheap we would get it. Many times, we walked out of the store with well over $100 worth of groceries and many times we paid less than $15.

It was a ton or work and almost became a hobby for us. Once we had kids it became too much of a burden and I started getting a better salary so we loosened up some.

Now what we do it collect all the super market circulars you get in the mail and in the papers. Walmart does price matching, so if you find a cheaper price at another grocery store, walmart will match the price. That saves us quite a bit. It is still work and it definitely slows down our check out.

I keep thinking I want to get back into the couponing. It was a fun challenge to see how cheap you could get it. At the time, the double and triple coupons were only done at certain days of the month. On those days we would go to 3-4 different stores. My record was about $120 worth of stuff for around $5. Of course, I ended up getting about 10 tooth brushes, and cleaners which I obviously didn't need the amounts..but they ended up being free.

#15 ·
You can also get coupons from Ebay. Just a thought to all of you getting started. OOOh and there are groups of couponers that meet and do a swap every couple weeks. You can find those online or maybe Craigslist or something. But if you get 4 papers a week and it has 3 coupons each for Pampers, and all your kids are out of diapers, you could swap those for something you DO want, like soup or rice or whatever. Just another thought. Couponing is addictive!

#18 ·
I also use couponmom.com. it is a great site and considerable cuts down on the amount of time it takes to coupon.

Watch the video on the site. They make it very easy for you. I find some of the best deals are at drugstores.

I also agree with the comment above. If I can buy soup that is close to $2 a can for $.60 a can with buying coupons, then why wouldn't I? It also allows you to stock up.

This week I ordered coupons for soyjoy bars. The coupon was buy 2 get one free. The store had them on sell for $1 and buy one get one free. So I paid a $1 and got 3. I went in with 60 coupons and walked out with 180 bars. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the store doubled my coupons. I ended up paying $42 for the $180 bars and 20 hormel ready to eat meals in a tray. These meals are my version of an MRE because I'm on a gluten free diet.

My pantry has grown a ton in the last 2 weeks due to coupons, while spending about $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.