Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
The end is,,,,,
10,005 Posts
Or walmart. Shoot I got one that sucks it out of 3800 sqare feet. Didnt get that at the local store....

·
Registered
517 Posts
All it is -- a dehumidifier with a purifier attached. I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to make one.

He is bright, though. most people wouldn't think to put the two together.

I have heard of something similar advertised on the radio, but I can't remember the company that makes it.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts

·
Sad But True
93 Posts
I am confused do you mean a machine that converts the oxygen and hydrogen in the air into water,if so those aren't commercially available as far as I know.A dehumidifier just makes you less sweaty when its hot by sucking moisture out of the air.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Air conditioner does the same thing. Only difference is it discharges the hot air outside instead of just recirculating the air like a dehumidifier does.

That's why they're called air conditioners. They remove the moisture (lower the humidity level).

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
It should be noted that a dehumidifier is only really needed in damp climates...
damp climates equals water in the air...
water in the air comes from ground water or rain...

if you need a dehumidifier - chances are you would find it easier to get your water from a rain barrel or local creek or dig a well...

just saying.

I run a dehumidifier in my basement........

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
I want to find a solar panel that will power our dehumidifier and set it up to drain into a filter. Mine is a 40 pint and fills daily. That's in my basement. Would be a nice source if everything works properly. Its on "the list".

·
It is what it is
793 Posts
Yes it seems like a silly thread and yes a dehumidifier is all that is needed to "produce" water, but the OP made a great observation.

I have a cabin in the mountains that has regular precipitation but I had only really planned to use rain run-off and a gravity/sand filter for my primary water supply. Even though I even just emptied the water from my AC yesterday that was overflowing in the house, it hadn't occurred to me that the dehumidifier feature was producing water in significant quantities.

I think that having several systems in place for something as critical as potable water is prudent and makes me feel more secure in my BOL's capability in being an actual longterm shelter and residence rather than just a weekend getaway which is all I use it for now.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
To "suck moisture out of the air" you have to have moisture in the air to start with. Az is not a good place for that. I live in a dry climate too and it wouldn't work very well here either.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
To "suck moisture out of the air" you have to have moisture in the air to start with. Az is not a good place for that. I live in a dry climate too and it wouldn't work very well here either.
Mike, all air has moisture, it's just the amount that varies.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts