Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Member - it's a euphemism
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating a fun gun purchase. Nothing I need for anything specific. Just something fun. I have talked about the Keltec KSG. A semi-auto shotgun. I thought about an AK-47. Even an AR. Something that catches my eye, and I just decide I want it, regardless of what it is (shotgun, rifle etc).
I went to a local gun store. Now, this store is locally famous for the crotchety old man that owns it. He was not there today, kind of spoiled it for me. He will flat out tell you that unless you are buying, he will not so much as look at you. One time, he went person to person in the store asking if they had permits. If you did not have one, he would not even answer your questions.
(this last one was second hand info, but it fits)
I have not been in there for years. As I start to walk to the door, they have a sign that you have to unload your gun, and leave the action open before entering. I browsed around for a bit, and they also have a sign up stating that cell phones are to be turned off.
This has to be the most fascist place to exercise your freedoms.

·
Farm Security for Hire
305 Posts
I am contemplating a fun gun purchase. Nothing I need for anything specific. Just something fun. I have talked about the Keltec KSG. A semi-auto shotgun. I thought about an AK-47. Even an AR. Something that catches my eye, and I just decide I want it, regardless of what it is (shotgun, rifle etc).
I went to a local gun store. Now, this store is locally famous for the crotchety old man that owns it. He was not there today, kind of spoiled it for me. He will flat out tell you that unless you are buying, he will not so much as look at you. One time, he went person to person in the store asking if they had permits. If you did not have one, he would not even answer your questions.
I have not been in there for years. As I start to walk to the door, they have a sign that you have to unload your gun, and leave the action open before entering. I browsed around for a bit, and they also have a sign up stating that cell phones are to be turned off.

That's what I've noticed about gun store owners: too many of them are arrogant pricks. I have several gun shops within minutes of my house, but I drive over an hour to Taylor Michigan for all my shooting needs, because they're the only place in the area that has treated me with any kind of respect.

Don't take **** from the owner, or an employee of a gun store, you're doing him a favor by even giving him the time of day, considering you could get anything he has in stock cheaper on the internet, or at a gun show.

Edit/

Do follow their policies on carrying guns in the store, that is their right to limit carry of weapons in their establishment.

·
Member - it's a euphemism
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I get it. In today's America, gun stores are as much a symbol as a business. Just felt strange to be in one where they want to control your actions. I am not planning to return. I have a good dealer I have been buying from.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
There is a pretty big gun store near me, and they are notorious for being over priced. By that I mean a $300 gun at another store might be $325 from this place.

However, the owner is the friendliest guy you can ever meet. He is especially good at explaining things and answering questions from new gun owners and prospective gun owners. He has several hired hands working there, so it's never hard to get someone to help you. He does community service as well. He hosts a Red Cross blood drive every 3 months on a Saturday where he provides a free BBQ lunch (with beans, potato salad and drinks) for everyone who comes in, whether or not you give blood. He gives a $50 discount toward a gun purchase to those who do give blood.

He has about 20 indoor range bays, and with these hosts Glock shoots, NRA classes, CWP classes, etc. He also has one night a week that is "Lady's Night" on the range. At 7PM the range closes to men. Two or three female instructors then assist ladies with shooting in an environment free of us "know-it-all" men. I think $25 get them up to 2 hours range time with only other females, free gun rental, targets, ammo, a t-shirt, and other stuff.

His higher prices also include a 1-2 year warranty on all his guns. If it is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, his shop will handle interaction with the manufacturer, shipping, etc. All you gotta do is bring the gun to the shop.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I think it's a good thing to support the small owner opperated gun shops . But that said ; I've found that most of the people working the counters at small gun shops are rude , arrogant , impatient and less than honest . On the other hand - the guys that work at the local Bass Pro are mostly friendly , courtious , helpful and will take the time to talk about guns and answer questions even if you're not buying one that day . Their prices are high but if/when I can afford to buy another gun I might buy from Bass Pro . It might be worth the extra $ to have a pleasant , enjoyable gun buying experience .

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is a pretty big gun store near me, and they are notorious for being over priced. By that I mean a $300 gun at another store might be $325 from this place.

However, the owner is the friendliest guy you can ever meet. He is especially good at explaining things and answering questions from new gun owners and prospective gun owners. He has several hired hands working there, so it's never hard to get someone to help you. He does community service as well. He hosts a Red Cross blood drive every 3 months on a Saturday where he provides a free BBQ lunch (with beans, potato salad and drinks) for everyone who comes in, whether or not you give blood. He gives a $50 discount toward a gun purchase to those who do give blood.

He has about 20 indoor range bays, and with these hosts Glock shoots, NRA classes, CWP classes, etc. He also has one night a week that is "Lady's Night" on the range. At 7PM the range closes to men. Two or three female instructors then assist ladies with shooting in an environment free of us "know-it-all" men. I think $25 get them up to 2 hours range time with only other females, free gun rental, targets, ammo, a t-shirt, and other stuff.

His higher prices also include a 1-2 year warranty on all his guns. If it is covered under the manufacturer's warranty, his shop will handle interaction with the manufacturer, shipping, etc. All you gotta do is bring the gun to the shop.
This is a store worth mty business. I have always been willing to pay for quality, both in product and in service!

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
As far as being rude I would not deal with them. As far as the problems with the keeping the slide open ect all you have to do is spend a couple days in a gun shot and you would see why they do that.
They have some of the weirdest and crazy people come in and do so many unsafe things it would spin your head. There are some people that are so unsafe with guns they should not be able to stand withing 50 feet of them to even protect themselfs. Threre are people who know how to handle guns, people who think they know, and people who are down right dangerous.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
As far as the problems with the keeping the slide open ect all you have to do is spend a couple days in a gun shot and you would see why they do that.
Yep, so true.

One thing I forgot to mention in my long winded post about that local gun shop - they have a sign at the front door that states:

"Except for legally carried and concealed weapons, no loaded firearm allowed in store".

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
nothing is worse than working in retail and some schmuck is babbling away on his phone and then asks you a question, and before you can even answer it he is again yapping to his twin idiot on the other end.

I usually ask customers like this to let me know when they finish their conversation and that i'll be more than happy to answer any question they have.

I think the "Please Turn off your Cellphone" sign is a good idea....

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Many stores have the same policy. I don't know anyone who will let you stroll around the store with a loaded gun in your hands. ND's happen in gun stores all around the country every day.

It's very normal to see moody trolls behind the sales counter. If you had any idea of what kind of morons call and go through the doors every single day you would understand their attitudes. Like any other job, it can get repetitive and frustrating. Endless price shopping calls, countless questions about parts, gunsmithing and transporting on airlines or shipping their priceless heirloom Ruger M77's.

Tire kickers irritate every retail establishment. Those who openly complain about pricing when they have no idea what it takes to run a store, pay employees, taxes, workmans comp, liability insurance, and the massive inventory you need to maintain. Everyone wants a discount (LEO's, Firefighters, Veterans, Soccer Moms, Non-Profits). And the owner has to eat, too.

Guys that come in, waste an hour of time matching rifles, scopes, ammo and slings and then tell the dude that has been patiently explaining the difference between a 308, 30-06 and 300 WSM, that they "uh, have to ask the wife. If she says yes, I will be back next month when tax returns come back". . . Grow a pair of ballz! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Simple solution, take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Its not a gun store thing but a store thing. I've walked out of a business because of rudeness before. It's nothing new to me. I'll even tell them they have a shoddy business with that kind of attitude and I just leave the cart where it is and just walk off.

They can think about readjusting their attitude when their putting the crap I was going to buy back on the shelf.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thats called service! Thats where the little bit of extra $ goes. Please support your locally owned business. Not being willing to spend that extra $25.00 to buy local and giving it to the big box stores is what has helped ruin this country. We are a locally owned company here in Va. and without local suport we would be nothing. Small mom and pop can not compete with walmart pricing but offer much more in good ol service!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Thats called service! Thats where the little bit of extra $ goes. Please support your locally owned business. Not being willing to spend that extra $25.00 to buy local and giving it to the big box stores is what has helped ruin this country. We are a locally owned company here in Va. and without local suport we would be nothing. Small mom and pop can not compete with walmart pricing but offer much more in good ol service!
I may be in Tx but I HATE walmart as much as the next guy. I support small businesses every chance I get. Sometimes, I end up at walmart buying up the ammo, cause these texans seem to make a run on it from time to time and it can get scarce.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm always a polite and respectful customer at a gun store.

With that being said, I expect respect in return and will put up with ZERO bullcrap from some eccentric jerk at a gun store. And yes, I've walked out on a few.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well...what gun did you buy?
.99 cents, I got a wooden shaped gun. Its a single action and I have to put a rubber band on it. The rubber goes from the barrel, over the top of the slide to the hammer. All I have to do is pull the trigger and buddy.. that crap hurts!

Shhh- don't tell the gov that I don't think the cashier at the dollar store did not do a NICS check on me!

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
In Western Washington there's a store called Discount Firearms in Federal Way.

The clerks are cocky and confident, which is something that one should expect in young men. I've always found them knowledgeable and helpful but I know what I'm seeking and I don't do stupid things. I've seen them order numbnuts out and they don't seem to tolerate either mall ninjas or gangbanger wannabes.

It's interesting because if you ask a local guy who is decent, and a regular guy what he thinks about the place he'll mention one of the clerks taking some time to change grips for free or adjust a sight. You ask a numbnuts they provide a pained expression and call them rude and arrogant.

Not saying that at all about the OP, but another difference between treatment is when you're serious and when someone is wasting their time. I know another place where they'd just tell some folks not to even come in. Yes, they have a lot of business, most of it LEO and military.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts